DIR-F Report - Sault Ste. Marie CANADA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay Bob,

I'm not trying to insult you, or even pretend I'm smarter. As you say, the back and forth of discussion is how ideas are tested.

Can we agree on this much? The GUE Fundamentals class has certain gear requirements. All of that gear can be obtained from sources other than Halcyon. Some of that gear is sold by Halcyon, a company owned by JJ, who also controls GUE. To the extent that the class stimulates participants to buy new gear, some of it may be purchased from Halcyon.

In your last post, you seem to suggest that at least part of the point of the class is to sell gear in general. In my opinion, if this is a "business model" to sell Halcyon gear, it is not very effective, since most of the gear sales would go to somebody other than Halcyon. It's kind of a stretch to argue that JJ organized GUE and set up the Fundamentals class as a means of increasing gear sales in general. If the point of the class were to sell gear, then gear would be offered for sale as part of the class, which of course it is not.

A more reasonable interpretation of the DIR gear requirements is that GUE believes that certain gear makes sense, and certain gear does not.

I have no doubt that some of the non-approved gear is called "crap" by some DIR advocates. This does not seem all that terrible to me. I have heard the same thing said about BP/wings and long hose setups.

Concerning the "stroke" label, you're the only one who's even mentioned it in this thread. As far as I know, the Fundamentals instructors never use this term in class. They do try to explain why certain skills are important, and why certain diving practices are less safe or not optimal. That's a good bit of what the class is about. The class is designed to show you how to be a more skillful diver. It's not about making you feel better by insulting other divers.

MHK ... thanks, that's exactly the type of response I asked for.

detroit diver once bubbled...
You've been told by a GUE instructor (MHK) that there is no renumeration for suggesting TYPES of gear, and that there is no financial gain for the instructor AT ALL.

No financial gain at all? C'mon ... you telling me he teaches the class for free? Somehow I don't think so. However, if you're telling me that he doesn't make much money for teaching scuba ... welcome to the real world. Neither does anyone else.

To clarify ... I never suggested that instructors get renumeration for suggesting types of gear. There's not much point in repeating myself, but I submit that you've misrepresented what I said. Please go back and read it again.

You just don't want to listen to it. Or accept that it's the truth. I haven't seen you accept MHK's bet on AG owning a piece of Halcyon either-and that was one of YOUR points.

Nope, I haven't accepted the bet ... perhaps that's because I accept he knows what he's talking about. My bad for making a bit of speculation on that one.

If I remember the story correctly, GI coined the term "stroke" after people kept trying to get close to him with stories of how good a diver that they were, and turned out to be total garbage, not only in the water, but in how they grasped the concept of diving. IE, they were trying to "stroke" him. If anyone has a different version of this, please correct me.

OK ... and if it was such a personal term, how did it find it's way into such common usage amongst DIR-trained divers?

This class doesn't sell equipment. You just don't want to accept this.

OK ... I'll accept it. So how does one pass the class if they don't have the requisite gear?

The instructors don't make any money doing this. You don't want to accept this either.

Yes, you're correct ... I have a hard time accepting that GUE instructors flitter all over the country teaching classes for free. That's a damn difficult way to make a living.

You've met people who use words that insult you and that turns you off to DIR. That paints the whole picture for you. But the stories from everyone that took the class that state the quality of the class seem to just blow in the wind with you.

Actually, I've stated several times already that my issues in this discussion aren't about DIR at all ... but about two very specific claims made regarding the promotion of the program. Apparently, despite the fact that I've repeated myself several times, you've decided to ignore that part. Tell me again about "blowing in the wind" ... seems like that's just what you're doing.

Some things are not what they seem.

That statement would seem to work both ways ... you've keyed in on a couple of statements, taken them out of context, misrepresented much of what I said, and ignored the rest.

But thanks for responding anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bill ... actually we agree on quite a lot. Perhaps more than is apparent from this discussion. Once again ... thanks for the response ... it's exactly what I was looking for.

Dave ... "Shut up and dive" ???

Seriously dude ... I'm in here right now because I'm "grounded" for a few days, and in serious need of a nitrogen fix. FWIW - I've logged almost 200 dives in the past six months ... if it weren't for a medical condition that's keeping me out of the water I'd be out there taking your advise, even as we speak.

Thanks for the suggestion ... but I thought the whole purpose of a discussion board was to discuss things ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've seen a few threads on it, never heard of this and reading through the threads I'm still not sure exactly what it is.

One point I think escapes most people who insist JJ started the fundamentals to sell gear is that Andrew developed the course because so many peole showed up for tech classes unprepared. I don't know the full details of how it developed and exactly when, but I'm sure MHK can shed some details on the evolution of the class.

WJL once bubbled...

It's kind of a stretch to argue that JJ organized GUE and set up the Fundamentals class as a means of increasing gear sales in general.

Dan Gibson once bubbled...
One point I think escapes most people who insist JJ started the fundamentals to sell gear is that Andrew developed the course because so many peole showed up for tech classes unprepared. I don't know the full details of how it developed and exactly when, but I'm sure MHK can shed some details on the evolution of the class.

Hey, hey there what's this "Andrew developed the course" BS??? I think what you meant to say is that Andrew & MHK developed the class ;-)..

Seriously, Dan that is a point that I try to emphasis that in the beginning this class wasn't part of the curriculum nor was it ever intended when JJ set out to create the organization. The DIR-F class was a byproduct of a couple of factors:

1) As you note, many were showing up for Tech 1 with no skill at all, and were basically failing the Tech 1 class the first day. That became a waste of time for Andrew and also became a source of frustration for students..

2) A lot of students were showing up for cave training with no clue about propulsion techniques and ad hoc gear configurations that took time away from actually being able to teach students about cave diving when they needed to spend a day or so of a 5 day class teaching someone about frog kicking and buoyancy control, and also needed a whole morning to reconfigure the equipment..

3) and lastly, many students wanted the opportunity to learn first hand about GUE training, but had no desire to enter into cave classes or Tech level classes

As a result of those confluence of events, the DIR-F class was born. Andrew and I spent about a year tweaking the class after each city we would visit. Usually when he and I would be at teh airport after the class we would take the feedback from the students and constantly reinvent the class until it is what you see today..

Hopefully that helps, and BTW thanks again for lunch in Cayman last week...

Later

I thought all Andrew's instructors went through the "lackey get me some coffee" phase;-)

That was exactly how it was explained to us a couple of winters ago at Gilboa. AG first asked us why we were there and then explained the reason the class exists. So how is your's and AG's stock in Halcyon doing these days;-)

I may be in San Diego Aug. the 21-25. I'm trying to set something up with Jay. I'm trying to get a couple of people to come out. Hopefully Robert will come out as well as Becki and myself. Maybe we can get Jody to come as well.

MHK once bubbled...

Hey, hey there what's this "Andrew developed the course" BS??? I think what you meant to say is that Andrew & MHK developed the class ;-)..

Later

Dan Gibson once bubbled...
I thought all Andrew's instructors went through the "lackey get me some coffee" phase;-)

That was exactly how it was explained to us a couple of winters ago at Gilboa. AG first asked us why we were there and then explained the reason the class exists. So how is your's and AG's stock in Halcyon doing these days;-)

I may be in San Diego Aug. the 21-25. I'm trying to set something up with Jay. I'm trying to get a couple of people to come out. Hopefully Robert will come out as well as Becki and myself. Maybe we can get Jody to come as well.

I think I hold the record of being the longest coffee ***** Andrew had ;-)

That would be awesome if you guys come out.. I don't think I have a class that weekend yet, so I'll reserve it and drive down. We'll do the Yukon and a few Kelp beds.. San Diego has some awesome dives, but leave the 3 mil home and grab the drysuit ;-)

Let me know or let Jay know when you can.. Jay will be my coffee ***** next weekend in Catalina so if you know by them let us know and we'll set something up..

Later

Damselfish once bubbled...
I've seen a few threads on it, never heard of this and reading through the threads I'm still not sure exactly what it is.

Here's a couple of links to help you get started:

www.gue.com
www.fifthd.com

And do a search on this board for Fundamentals or DIRF. You should come up with a zillion hits!

To put it really basically, it stands for Doing It Right-Fundamentals. It is a form of diving and dive training that takes into account equipment, awareness, form, function, attitude, and much more. Those links above will give you much more of an idea of what DIR is about.

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
Bill ... actually we agree on quite a lot. Perhaps more than is apparent from this discussion. Once again ... thanks for the response ... it's exactly what I was looking for.

Dave ... "Shut up and dive" ???

Seriously dude ... I'm in here right now because I'm "grounded" for a few days, and in serious need of a nitrogen fix. FWIW - I've logged almost 200 dives in the past six months ... if it weren't for a medical condition that's keeping me out of the water I'd be out there taking your advise, even as we speak.

Thanks for the suggestion ... but I thought the whole purpose of a discussion board was to discuss things ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Perhaps your right, but it gets a bit tiring hearing the same arguements brought up time and time again, always the same comments, always the same conclusions.
Oddly enough, its nearly always from newer divers and newer members who really have no concept of the true principals.
If you disagree with the above, a quick search should resolve that real quick.
Dave

Back
Top Bottom