DIR for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobyPat

Reaction score
I am relatively new to diving and just recently OW certified and came across DIR here.

I dive recreationally and for fun and just don't understand the seriousness of the topic. I look at GUE as a 'group of like-minded divers following certain standards'.

I do agree that the concept is interesting, especially when it comes to refining skills, experience, safety and environmental awareness. What I don't get that DIR is questioning the methods that are being taught on a more or less world-wide standard and basically dismissed them as being wrong. Why not 'make' it an agency that teaches students everything 'right' from the start and issue world-wide recognized c-cards, which could lead to a much broader acceptance and participation?

Does DIR make sense for the average Joe that just wants to dive on a recreational basis or for the ultra serious tec diver and why?

GUE already is an agency. DIR is the methodology. GUE's open water course is in the works according to various people associated with them.

There's a GUE instructor or two on this board. Michael Kane (MHK) is one such person - I'm betting he'd be glad to answer any questions directly.

There's a lot to be garnered though by reading (wading?) through previous posts on this topic.

My understanding is that there is a "C-Card" program in the works. Having said that I've heard the rumopur on and off for over a year now. I'm sure one of the resident GUE instructors could clarify the situation.

As for making sense for the average diver, I can only speak for myself. I find having good buddy skills and watermanship makes diving more fun, and it really shines when both divers in the buddy pair are DIR trained.

Now good buddy skills and watermanship are not exclusive to DIR but with a DIR trained divers you pretty much know what to expect when you get in the water with them.

Just my 2c.

ScoobyPat once bubbled...

Does DIR make sense for the average Joe that just wants to dive on a recreational basis or for the ultra serious tec diver and why?

Welcome to the board.

I am an average Joe, that just wants to dive on a recreational basis. I went DIR.

It was the destination, not the journey. I read hundreds and hundreds of posts here for about 4 months, got the Fundy's book and read it a few times, got a BP/W rig, took the DIR/F and never looked back.

For me, it just made sense. You'll hear a hundred people tell you DIR isn't about gear config, and it amazes me how many people get hung up on the that one. Just amazes me. The whole "you can't tell me what to wear" thing. Uh, OK. That argument is just so lame its pointless. Its not about gear.

DIR isn't just for techies and wreckies. Its not just for skinny, pasty vegans. Its not agency specific. I have my OW thru PADI, my AOW thru SSI and I dive DIR.

DIR is about a commitment to safe diving. Its about team diving. Its about being alert, aware, and involved in the dive. Its about developing precision watermanship. Its about respect for the environment and respect for yourself. It changed my diving.

I'm not an a-hole (can I say that Dee in reference to myself?) who puts down other divers who are not in the camp, who didn't drink the kool-aid or whatever sophomoric cliché you want to attach to it. Like everything, there are people who take it way over the edge - but for their style of diving (generally the cavers and wreckers) the stakes are much higher with a much narrower margin of error.

For my recreational diving, its driven me to better skills, better dive awareness, better buddy awareness and has delivered greater confidence on each dive. I simply enjoy it more.

On a trip this weekend, someone asked me about my rig - as its simply the most noticeable out-of-water differentiator. We talked a little about the rig, and then we talked about DIR. When I rolled through the things above, he asked me "well, isn't that the goal of every agency - safer divers, better buddy skills, etc.....?" So I asked him to join us on a dive.

We did a thorough pre-dive plan. We did an equipment review, we used the SADDD. We descended horizontally, we stayed in trim, we took long, slow, controlled, planned ascents. There was communication throughout the dive, etc, etc. When we got back on the boat, I asked him if there was anything different about this dive. Apart from the control (high praise, because I still need a lot of work :D ) he said he saw a plan, he saw confidence and he felt more comfortable with our group.

This wasn't a set up. He saw it, and he felt it because we (my buddy Arnaud and I) are committed to it. For me, its a no brainer.

Don't get hung up in the gear. Don't get hung up in the "you can have my splitfins when you can pry them from my cold dead feet...." thing. Hook up with some DIR guys. PM us. Talk to us. I'm still new at this (only since Feb this year) but you gotta see if its for you. I wear a computer. Usually in gauge mode, sometimes (on multi-day trips) its in AI mode as a computer...no biggie. They don't strip you of your DIR badge for that. I never use it to the exclusion of thorough planning or as a way to turn off my mind and let the little wrist box do the thinking.

There's a lot of hot air from within and from without the DIR circle. But make your decisions on a level playing field. Read up, ask questions, and most importantly, dive with some of us and see if its for you.

I have no immediate plans to move beyond recreational diving. I'm a lummox for triox. I don't crave the cave. I see no need to creep deep - I'm fine at reasonable rec depths. I dont want to teach. I just want to be a confident, competent rec diver with mad skills. I got the former, still working on the latter.

K

ERP once bubbled...

Now good buddy skills and watermanship are not exclusive to DIR but with a DIR trained divers you pretty much know what to expect when you get in the water with them.

Just my 2c.

The importance of this cannot be overstated. This is what drives that confidence and makes each dive more about having fun on the dive and less about "what will this dude do if...."

This is an excellent summation and a driver behind standardized, minimalist gear config and pre-dive planning.

My $.02, too.

incidents occur because an unforeseen event happened and communications broke down or failed.

The remedy for this is often enhanced situational awareness, more detailed dive planning to include gas planning, and a commitment to diving as a buddy team.

Also, all divers - recreational or otherwise - should be proficient at controlling their bouyancy and trim, and their movements underwater, to avoid causing harm to the environment, themselves, or other divers.

Yes, these topics are often (not always) covered in most agency's open water courses. The amount of emphasis these topics receive, however, varies greatly. Some instructors turn out marvelous divers. Some instructors don't.

These specific "fundamentals" are the topics that are emphasized by GUE as foundational for all divers to enjoy diving more. Not only technical divers.

While obviously this issue is controversial, I'll assume initially you didn't ask the question merely to invite controversy. Therefore, my response is as above;...a GUE Fundamentals course would be of interest and benefit to many recreational divers who are interested in optimizing their diving skills and enjoyment.

Take one and make up your own mind. In the end, you have little to lose and potentially much to gain.

Doc

Thank you for the constructive responses. I am definitely interested and open to learn the DIR concept.

As a slight critique however I must say that the GUE website could be a little bit more informative and specific. After reading for about an hour I got some ideas and starting points. Also from reading the website I learned that there are just about a few dozen instructors world-wide and the most courses seem to focus on FL and CA? How/where to start? And what about the cost?

Very interesting that the fact that I opted for DIR BP/W, an Oceanic reg and single gauge to start with (before I even heard about DIR).

ScoobyPat once bubbled...
Thank you for the constructive responses. I am definitely interested and open to learn the DIR concept.

As a slight critique however I must say that the GUE website could be a little bit more informative and specific. After reading for about an hour I got some ideas and starting points. Also from reading the website I learned that there are just about a few dozen instructors world-wide and the most courses seem to focus on FL and CA? How/where to start? And what about the cost?

Very interesting that the fact that I opted for DIR BP/W, an Oceanic reg and single gauge to start with (before I even heard about DIR).

The closest people to you are probably the scubaguys up in Detroit MI.

their website is....http://www.scubaguys.com/

Brando is BCS here on the board, and MHK is also an active member here. To find out more about what might be in the works for classes in your area, you might contact one of them.

Scoobypat,
I saw somewhere that there is a DIRF class if your interested, going to be held at Dutch Springs in early December. Contact MHK via PM he can give you better info.

Back
Top Bottom