DIR for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler once bubbled...
I was glad to read those comments...I have been thinking of the DIRF course at Dutch in December, but did not feel ready...perhaps I should just go for it
Ken

You're never ready. That's the point. Until you're task-loaded to the breaking point (safely, of course) you can't possibly know your level of readiness.

Thinking you're ready because you can back kick like a mofo is missing the point. If you think your buoyancy is locked, cool, I guess.

Add a missing mask, an airshare with a buddy who's lost his mask, mix in a valve drill and the need to ascend 10' and hold for 30, then rise another 10 for 30, etc, etc. It gets piled on until you break.

All on video.

That's one of the points. You can't know your own level of performance under these very controlled, but very demanding situations. The point is to keep your wits about you and keep you and your buddy alive when the spit hits the fan.

Oh, and you need to look good doing all of this... :D

Honestly - its demanding. I knew I wasn't ready. I had my BP/W for all of about 4 dives, was horribly over weighted (went in with 16, came out with 10) and realized that all my skeels amounted to zip.

But the in-water take away is this: it gives you focus on what needs work. Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect. I came away from DIR/F knowing what I needed to work on, so my dive time is not only fun, but also productive. I can honestly say, I learn something every time out. This is important to me. And its paying off with increased confidence and control and decreased gas usage.

The classroom stuff just rocked, and was the reason I took the class. I wanted to develop a better planning routine than "hit the water, go that way until I use half my gas (or when the computer goes BEEP) then come back..."

There's a lot to it. But waiting until you think you're "ready" will only deliver dissapointment - as you'll find out you really weren't.

K

There is a GUE Openwater Course in development.

It has yet to be formerly announced or incorporated into the standards.

Many of us have incorporated DIR techniques in the OW Scuba courses that we teach for other agencies.

My recent OW courses have been taught in backplate/wings/long hose with an emphasis on the same skill set that is taught in DIR Fundamentals. The powerpoint presentation which is the basis for the lecture is DIR based and incorporates the GUE videos which are used in the DIR Fundamentals.

Although other agencies such as NAUI and SSI do not promote the DIR philosophy it is possible to teach a DIR OW course under their standards.

You do run into issues such as other agencies educational videos showing students in non-DIR gear and performing skills in non-DIR fashion. The students review these at home and then when they come to class they are taught DIR techniques and philosophy which does generate a bit of confusion.

It will be great to have the GUE Openwater training materials and support to work with in the future.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
march@gue.com

I would echo those who have suggested that you take DIR-F as early as possible.

I took DIR-F after I'd been diving for a few years. I was already doing some more advanced diving, including decompression and penetration, when I took the course.

I took it with three students who went through their OW course with me as their AI.

They had far fewer bad habits to break than me. Moreover, their habits weren't nearly as ingrained.

Take it early.

MarcHall:

Like you, we incorporate quite a bit of DIR-F into our OW, AOW and buoyancy courses. When people are ready, we send them on to DIR-F.

kwesler once bubbled...
I was glad to read those comments...I have been thinking of the DIRF course at Dutch in December, but did not feel ready...perhaps I should just go for it

Ken

DIR Fundamentals used to be a workshop - no certification card included.

In June, 2003 the course became a prereq for Cave 1 and Tech 1 and was converted into a certification course.

There are advantages to the course being a certification course but one disadvantge is that I see more individuals holding off from taking the course until they believe they can pass it.

The GUE DIR Fundamentals Course is meant to introduce divers to the DIR philosophy, techniques, skill set and equipment. Divers are not expected to have mastered any of the skills that are introduced in the course prior to the course.

The value of the course is the training that is provided not the GUE certification card that is awarded if you happen to pass the course.

For those that are concerned about passing and failing, GUE does allow us to provide a provisional pass. If the students are unable to demonstrate a sufficient level of profiency in the skills to be be awarded certification they may be awarded the provisional rating. The provisional rating allows time for the student to work on their skills either with their DIR buddies and/or with the instructor and then be awarded certification at a later date.

Any of my students that have received a provisional are able to come back and work with me at a later date at no additional fee. Often times the improvement seen a week later is very dramatic.

I should also add that DIR Fundamentals course is not about harrasement as one poster seem to indicate. In the GUE Recreational courses (currently DIRF and Rec Triox) we are not allowed to remove masks or use an air gun to simiulate valve failures. These are part of the changes implement in June and are left for the Cave and Tech program. We can have the student hand us their mask and simulate a valve failure in other ways.

Situational awareness is a cornerstone of the GUE philosophy but it typically does not take much in the way of additional task loading to be able to generate scenarios where situational awareness goes out the door at this level.

So my recomendation is to take the course sooner rather then later, get introduced to the skills and the philosophy and then practice the skills on a regular basis with your buddies and don't worry about passing or failing the course.

Take care

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
march@gue.com

MarcHall once bubbled...

Situational awareness is a cornerstone of the GUE philosophy ...

So my recomendation is to take the course sooner rather then later, get introduced to the skills and the philosophy and then practice the skills on a regular basis with your buddies and don't worry about passing or failing the course.

These are the two things that have meant the most to my diving lately. The course really drives home buddy awareness and situational awareness.

We are no longer "same ocean" or "same quarry" dive buddies. It is noticed by dive industry professionals and fellow divers. "Wow, you guys really look after each other all the time."

We practice the basics every time out 'cause you just never know when your buddy is going to have an OOA "situation".

I'm wondering if the market is primed enough to warrant offering a one-day DIR Intro or workshop? Seems there are a LOT of people interested, but not quite ready for the full DIRF class. MHK and the ScubaGuys have had a few successful Demo's but I think there's enough interest to support a paid clinic. Just a sip of the kool-aid, not a full cup just yet??

(BTW Marc - I managed a successful single tank valve drill last weekend with my modified DUI suit. Best $75 I've spent - after DIRF of course.)

diveski01 once bubbled...
(BTW Marc - I managed a successful single tank valve drill last weekend with my modified DUI suit. Best $75 I've spent - after DIRF of course.)

Modified?

'splain, please.

K

MO2:

Add a missing mask, an airshare with a buddy who's lost his mask, mix in a valve drill and the need to ascend 10' and hold for 30, then rise another 10 for 30, etc, etc. It gets piled on until you break.

Sounds like fun!!

She had Superior Drysuit Repair put in a football shaped pattern in the underarm area that effectively creates a larger arm opening (measured around the shoulder socket) and made reaching her valves easier.

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Modified?

'splain, please.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom