DIR for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai once bubbled...
Ok I'm out of here. Everyone in this thread knows exactly where to go in my book.

"Diving?" You think we should all go "diving?" :D

I am not a dangerous diver, I am not a closed minded diver.

I couldn't tell you if you were dangerous or not... I haven't dived with you.

As for "closed mindedness," well... You do not appear to be open to the answer you asked for. You said, "why would a single tank diver want to be able to shut down the valve on their tank?" We answered you logically, and you argued. Look, whether you believe our answer or not, you asked why and we told you. If you don't agree, then fine... But don't yell at us for giving you the answer you asked for.

I know exactly where I stand in this debate and everyone else has just drank way too much kool-aid to be even remotely openminded on this subject.

Pardon me... You may have had some run-ins with others here on this board, but *I* have been perfectly polite to you... So no, not *everyone* has "drank way too much kool-aid."

I know some of the other divers here personally... They are not zealots, even if from your perspective they appear to be so. The problem is in the difference in perspective - not that someone's drank too much kool-aid.

Keep telling yourself that your never wrong and that every diver needs exactly the same system.

Again, this is a perspective problem.

If someone were to ask, "Are the necessary skills for driving all cars the same?" There might be some that say yes and some that say no. The basics - the "fundamentals" - are all the same. Keep the vehicle between the painted lines. Move the steering wheel, use the accelerator, and use the brakes as needed. They all have forward and reverse gears and a key to start them up. Get the idea? Overall, the fundamental skills you need to drive the car are and should be the same from car to car. It would be bad, for example, to find out that the actions of the steering wheel are reversed for a certain brand name, or to find out that the accelerator and brake pedals are switched. Get it? It's a fundamental thing.

...But it can also be argued that it takes very different skill to drive a large SUV through a city street than it does to drive a passenger car on the highway.

Both perspectives are correct.

DIR focuses on the fundamentals. It does not teach that everyone needs a drysuit or doubles or steel tanks or scooters to do a dive. You will not find DIR divers on a Caribbean reef at 30' with doubles and two stages. But you will find them wearing a rig which needs no changes to go from that type of diving to a deep, cold wreck dive or a cave penetration dive. They'll add doubles, a dry suit, some stages... Different gas... And a different plan... But the fundamental rig and the fundamental skills will be the same. This is really good, because when the spit hits the fan on a super-serious dive (whatever that is for them), they're intimately familiar with their gear setup... Sorta like always having the controls in the same place, doing the same thing.

So the concept of "the same gear for every dive" or "the same skills for every dive" is accurate, but not entirely - it depends on your perspective.

DIR is all about the "fundamentals." GUE considers it the basic of all basic courses. By definition, DIR is a beginner course, and therefore is taught to recreational divers. Perhaps that answers the question actually posed in the title of this thread.

But the skills taught in DIR-F are just as necessary in "tech" diving as they are in "rec" diving. Like the rest of the GUE program, DIR-F provides a "basis" on which everything else is built.

And yes, that includes valve shutoff/shutons whether you believe it or not. And in case you haven't read, GUE's not the only agency teaching the skill.

you come blasting into this thread stating that single tank valve drills are not important like you are the end all be all of diving knowledge. Then you get mad when people disagree with you. You continue to argue without understanding the material at hand and then get mad at all the participants in thread and stomp off to sulk. Many of the people in this thread had no quarrel with you. Chill out and take some free advice---understand the perspective of the person or entity who you are argueing with and argue only what you can logically defend with the evidence you have.

jbd once bubbled...
you come blasting into this thread stating that single tank valve drills are not important like you are the end all be all of diving knowledge. Then you get mad when people disagree with you. You continue to argue without understanding the material at hand and then get mad at all the participants in thread and stomp off to sulk. Many of the people in this thread had no quarrel with you. Chill out and take some free advice---understand the perspective of the person or entity who you are argueing with and argue only what you can logically defend with the evidence you have.

What's your opinion on O/W divers mastering this skill before YOU give them a c-card? Have you ever certified anyone that hasn't mastered this skill?

I once made the fatal error of believing a man that he would finish his surface swims for me for his A.I. card. He never did complete his swim.....

They will probably say as they discover a full tank, "If he could've only reached his valve."

chrpai once bubbled...
I can only wonder what the rescue divers will be thinking when they find your body on the bottom with the valve turned off. Hell, musta been another case of a PADI DM turning of the poor divers valve and the diver not being DIR because he couldn't reach back and turn it back on.

Goodbye.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

What's your opinion on O/W divers mastering this skill before YOU give them a c-card? Have you ever certified anyone that hasn't mastered this skill?

I once made the fatal error of believing a man that he would finish his surface swims for me for his A.I. card. He never did complete his swim.....

This is not a particularly difficult skill. As far as I can recall, we haven't had anyone who couldn't do it after a bit of practice.

Regardless, its not required under PADI guidelines, so I don't believe that we could refuse to certify if they didn't perform the skill.

All I can say is have you lot got nowt better to do, get out and dive. I dont dive DIR but 99.99% of what I have read on these boards from DIR divers makes sense and you cannot argue against the philosophy It makes sense!! Improve your bouyancy skills learn to manage you air plan your dives it all makes sense especially when the nearest Decompression chamber is over 1000 miles away and there is no guarantee its working! Get out and dive and enjoy ps look after you buddy you may just need him

Back
Top Bottom