DIR for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the newbie diver, I would strongly looking for diving knowledge somewhere other then internet message boards.

Good idea.

I came here for some answers... Basically found the same thing you're finding... And decided to check out several agencies for myself - including GUE. I've taken classes from several; but none were so valuable to me as those I took with GUE.

So I encourage you to explore. I suspect you'll find the same thing I did.

...And when you do, something tells me that the next time someone pops his head into a board and says, "valve shutoff drills aren't necessary," you'll share with them your feelings - just like everyone here has. You'll probably react the same way when someone says, "dive according to what your computer tells you" or, "I'm taking a Deep Air course from Hal Watts" or, "what do y'all think of the new HUB Plus Special?" :)

you are not looking at how and from where DIR evolved.

Think about your 2 reasons listed above.

1. DIR is never wrong(supposedly). Consider why this might be even remotely true. The DIR philosophy of techniques and procedures is based in an extremely thorough(possibly nitpicking) examination of every possible way in which something could go wrong on a dive in which there is no coming directly to the surface. From this examination they came up with solutions that would prevent the event from happening.

2. DIR applies to all styles of diving unilaterally(supposedly)
Here we are looking into the evolution of all the afore mentioned examination. If the system they have developed works so well in the most demanding diving scenario's then it would seem quite logical that it would work just as well in the much less demanding scenrio of a 60 foot reef dive within NDL diving.

I'm a NAUI instructor teaching basic OW diving. In my course the students will have their air turned off and they are expected to turn their air back on by themselves. Does that make me DIR in the conventional sense? Personally, I don't think so. I'm just teaching them what I think they need to know in addition to what NAUI thinks they need to know.

Thorough training empowers divers with the ability to prevent or handle problems that may arise without things escalating to a panic situation which usually leads to a dead or injured diver.

chrpai once bubbled...
The only reason so many people are having a problem with what I'm saying is
No....my biggest issue is that you're being more close minded than any newbie ever could. What you are saying: "no single tank diver needs to know how to work his valves" is absolute stupidity.

It is the same thing as saying a single tank diver doesn't need to know how to deploy a back-up reg....or how to read an SPG....it is a skill that can save your life...it is also a simple skill....hell you even mentioned having to shut your valve off in a previous post...proving to me that you're just trolling to be trolling....

chrpai once bubbled...

Seems like a sure way of having a good chance of getting water in your first stage. But I'm sure Mr know it all already knew that.

Listen genius. Water doesn't flow up a hose if it's maintained at the right angle. My first stage was perfectly dry then, and now.

Your opinions and arguements on valve drills have been trashed by everyone except yourself. You'd think that someone in that position would realize that somewhere, somehow, they might be wrong.

I guess it hasn't gotten into your head yet.

chrpai once bubbled...
So San Diego DIR types freely admit that the really obvious solution is to make sure your gas is on, and if your 1st stage fails you should find another source of air and optionally shut the reg down. ( IE not strictly necessary. )

The only reason so many people are having a problem with what I'm saying is

Chris the reason you're having such a hard time with this is that you didn't read the last part of what you copied from BAUE's site,
While this is not strictly necessary, the bubbles generated by a regulator/valve failure can cause a great deal of confusion, increasing the stress and task loading in a situation that is already stressful.

You saw the "not strictly necessary" and stopped there.

Well, you're right. Being able to reach your valve and being comfortable with how to shut it down it not is strictly necessary for single tank recreational NDL diving. This doesn't mean it's not a good idea and you're little cut-and-paste gave the reason why.

Your continued insistance that DIR/GUE are wrong for promoting this skill is getting rather boring.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
you're just trolling to be trolling....

Sorry T, but Chris isn't trolling. He may not be allowing himself the chance to understand but that doesn't make him a troll.

You guys have fun... I'll check on you when I get back from diving! :D

chrpai once bubbled...

I havn't agree **** with you buddy.

Please translate this. It appears to be written in some strange form of Stevebonics.

To the extent that you disagree with my statement that you have positioned your tank valve so that you can check it during a bubble check, please explain what you actually do during your flow check and what you would do if you discovered that the valve was not fully on.

In addition, please explain why you are the only single tank diver who needs to know this skill.

Do you actually hold any scuba teaching credentials. Or are you just another OW NDL exterior only rec diver with an opinion that isn't supported by anything more than your ego?

Finally, just to be clear. I'm not, and never would be, your buddy. I try to limit my buddies to people who are not dangerous when they get in the water and who can execute the dive. You wouldn't make the cut.

Ok I'm out of here. Everyone in this thread knows exactly where to go in my book. I am not a dangerous diver, I am not a closed minded diver. I know exactly where I stand in this debate and everyone else has just drank way too much kool-aid to be even remotely openminded on this subject. Keep telling yourself that your never wrong and that every diver needs exactly the same system. Keep telling yourself that every open water NDL diver needs the exact same solution that a tech/overhead diver needs. Keep telling yourself that anyone who disagrees is a moron. Keep telling yourself that your doing the world a favor.

And most important, don't forget to pat yourself on the back when you you reach around to shut down your only tank. I can only wonder what the rescue divers will be thinking when they find your body on the bottom with the valve turned off. Hell, musta been another case of a PADI DM turning of the poor divers valve and the diver not being DIR because he couldn't reach back and turn it back on.

Goodbye.

Tsk. I started this thread to ask if it would be recommended to go DIR recreationally. I didn't think this would end in a holy war about shutting off valves.

It personally makes sense to me to know how to do it. If I actually use it, is another question.

It is like school - you learn a lot of supposedly unnecessary stuff that might come in handy at a later time (or not). With the little difference that your life can depend on it.

Nuf said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom