DIR/Hogarthian configuration question -- Dive Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think in the DIR manual it states;

atach a flag with a break away o-ring atached to a zip tie, atached to a 1" stainless bolt snap.

atach the bolt snap to your reel line

at all times the reel should be floating right next to you on your left side, as you are constantly aware of your surrounding you will not need to hold onto it.

do not let it hang on your right side as nothing can go there, that space is strictly resereved for a scooter [if you ever get one]

when it comes time to move the reel [with flag attached] both team members should aproach the flag in a horizontal possision and face each other, each buddy gripping the real simotaniuosly with their left hand, procceds to the next spot where you would like to view something or use both hands, at all time facing each other so as not to loose contact with the flag or your buddy.

One buddy of course will be required to back fin the whole time

please practice this technique until perfected prior to signing up for the class, so that the class can just consintrate on critequing you.

If you are lucky enough to pass this skill which of course only the true gods of diving do, then you will be allowed to move onto the next skill, attaching a game bag and using a spear with no mask on while maintaining perfect horizontal boyancy

Sorry I couldn't help it, someone actualy looking for a DIR method of attaching a flag. heaven forbid they should think for themselves, or get caught doing it wrong

I reckon you could jury rig a wire-guided Mk 48 torpedo to one of those magnum body Gavin scooters... question is, what's the DIR placement of the guidance system on the scooter...

bengiddins once bubbled...
I reckon you could jury rig a wire-guided Mk 48 torpedo to one of those magnum body Gavin scooters... question is, what's the DIR placement of the guidance system on the scooter...

I seem to remember seeing a propulsion device you could attach to your tanks in the LeisurePro catalog I just threw out. Now, I know that isn't DIR, nor is hydrox (SFAIK), but couldn't you rig the two together with a little wire along with the dive computer and the piezo-electric ignitor from the cigarette lighter you also abandonded, and get a real DIR rig there? Tie it to the flag, and when the prop snags the line...

12ga bang stick with a rubber sabot. All you need is to hull the boat and let it sink elsewhere...

Roak

AquaTec once bubbled...
Sorry I couldn't help it, someone actualy looking for a DIR method of attaching a flag. heaven forbid they should think for themselves, or get caught doing it wrong

He was just asking a question.

Let's not assume that he was going to slavishly adhere to whatever was written in the DIR manual. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was asking for an informed opinion that he would weigh against other informed opinions, ultimately making the best choice for him.

Other than that, I thought your post was hysterical... :)

Matt

no offence to the original post and i withdraw any implication.

I agree that it is good to ask for ideas etc.

I just found it funny that there might be a DIR method of doing it.

I couldn't help it

... asking for an informed opinion ...

Like snorkels, DIR divers don't like flags because you don't need one in a cave. :wink:
[sorry, couldn't resist]
I use one of these critters when I'm in a high traffic area: http://www.carterbag.com/personalfloat.html

Shoot the sucker when you need it, nothing dragging around to get to get fouled or used as a target by those jet ski idiots or fishermen that want to pull you up so they can "see what was on the other end". (been there).

In his profile, he states that he is from Mass.

If he is diving in MA (an assumption...please correct if need be), then it would be wise to observe local dive flag laws, which are mandatory.

Massachusetts Dive Flag Law The following paragraph is taken verbatim from Mass. General laws, public ways and works 90B 13A:

"Every Scuba diver or group of scuba divers while swimming on or under the surface of the waters of the Commonwealth shall display for each diver or group of divers as a warning device to boat operators, a diver's flag, so called, constructed of rigidly supported material at least 12" by 15" in area of red backgroud with a diagonal stripe.
Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water.
A boat operator within sight of a diver's flag shall proceed with caution and within 100' of such flag shall proceed at a speed not to exceed three-mph".

Looks like the flag size would have to be increased, otherwise it would seem to qualify. There's nothing saying that your "surface float" needs to remain at/on the surface, or the flag has to be ABOVE the surface. Just "From" the surface.
:mean:
Heck, it dang near looks like you can even leave the sucker on the shore, there's no saying how close you have to surface to it.

The law also reads that's its OK for boaters to run you over, as long as they're not going over 3 mph. :eek:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom