DIR/Hogarthian configuration question -- Dive Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3 once bubbled...
Looks like the flag size would have to be increased, otherwise it would seem to qualify. There's nothing saying that your "surface float" needs to remain at/on the surface, or the flag has to be ABOVE the surface. Just "From" the surface.

A dive flag left on shore, not deployed, or deployed under water all fail to pass the critical test of that first statement...

Every Scuba diver or group of scuba divers while swimming on or under the surface of the waters of the Commonwealth shall display...as a warning device . None of the options you have described could reasonably be described as a "warning display" of nearby divers.

Bob3 once bubbled...
The law also reads that's its OK for boaters to run you over, as long as they're not going over 3 mph. :eek:

It doesn't say any such thing at all.

It doesn't say any such thing at all.

It sure does:

"...within 100' of such flag shall proceed at a speed not to exceed three-mph".

No minimum distance = OK to run right over the top of you.
If there IS a minimum distance required, show me where to find it, eh?
Suggest you check with your local warden if you doubt this, same with flag displayed on shore.

Look at Wisconsin's law:

" is unlawful ... For any boat or water skier to operate or approach closer than 100 feet to any skin diver's flag or any swimmer unless the boat is part of the skin diving operation or is accompanying the swimmer. "

Complete WI boating regs: http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enforcement/safety/boatreg.htm

Bob3 once bubbled...
No minimum distance = OK to run right over the top of you.

By your logic, the law governing assault with a deadly weapon allows murder.

"Members of the jury...I will refer to the text of the law in which it states that it is illegal to hit someone over the head with a gun. Do you, the members of the jury, see where pulling the trigger of the gun and killing a person is prohibited in the text of the law? Neither do I."

If every interaction in society were governed by one and only one law than I would agree that it would be logical to conclude that whatever is not specifically forbidden is allowed. That, however, is simply not the case. That a dive flag law does not specifically state that a boater can't hit a diver provides no legal or logical reason to conclude that a boater who hits a diver won't be charged with manslaughter, negligent homicide, reckless endangerment, murder...and the list goes on.

AquaTec once bubbled...
no offence to the original post and i withdraw any implication.

I agree that it is good to ask for ideas etc.

I just found it funny that there might be a DIR method of doing it.

I couldn't help it

Good laughs, AquaTec, no worries :)

It must be said, though, that I am perfectly able to think for myself, which is why I asked the question. People that can't think don't ask, they just do what they're told.

Personally, I feel that the line should NOT be attached to oneself in any manner, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to be fumbling around with it every time I move -- especially if I'm just floating along in 60 ft of water, 40 ft above the bottom.

The simpleness of the rig leads me to believe that you're supposed to carry it by hand, or somehow mount it in a breakaway fashion.

Cheers and jeers welcome, I'll just learn more!

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom