DIR in Jersey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meanwhile you and I have never dove together Sam, despite seeing each other all the time!

I did not run into you the last two times I was at Dutch. The few times I ran into you at Dutch you were in class or diving with Bob and/or Trace, and I had make prior arrangements to dive with others. :)

Yeah: report? What site; what boat; how many people; seas; lobsta'!?

You might find that there are a ton of guys from Village Divers in NYC that dive a Hogarthian setup and standard gases. Not sure about the full GUE hand signs etc. They're at Dutch and off NJ all the time, many have taken fundies.

Nobody snickers at a 7' hose or H gear. Dive boats are appreciative of the business and especially those that can take care of each other. (now acknowledged as just as good as taking care of yourself)

You'll quickly find that being a regular on a boat and a good guy topside will put you in high esteem independent of what gear you use.

-matt

Sam - excuses, excuses ;-)

Matt-
Like I said, I was fully expecting everyone to be as nice as they were. My intent in posting was to try to get people to not fear the Jersey.

Trip was awesome. We came in right after Hurricane Danielle, and the bottom temps flipped from 48 the week before to 68 on our dives. Vis was in the 15-20' range the first dive, and 10-15' the second. Whitecaps on the way back in, but otherwise extremely calm seas. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the name of the wreck, because we swapped about a few times, and the last name I just didn't catch. Of course, that's the one we dove.

Flipped off the side, nearly lost my mask like an idiot, and then headed down the line. Wreck was almost entirely a big pile of criss-crossing steel beams, coming up 6-8' off the bottom. Made for lots of holes, TONS of lobster, and bass in the 12-18" range just floating around above the wreck. Some smallish flounder out over the sand as well. Boat was the Dina Dee out of Barnegat Light. It was as good a time as I had on the Tuna Seazure last year, and better diving conditions. I wish I had the cash to get out more, and I'm seriously considering not buying a Dutch season pass next year and instead blowing it all on two boat rides ;-). We'll see.

I've said before I'm always happy to dive with anyone who's team-oriented and safe. That includes a lot of Fundies-trained divers, and a lot of non-Fundies trained divers.

Thanks for the trip report! 68F sounds absolutely tropical - we had 48F :).

Glad you had a great weekend diving with DIR peops!

It did seem tropical. Unfortunately not entirely typical, but not entirely unheard of either.

Monterey is on my bucket list, but not until after I can afford a drysuit. 48F indeed.

It did seem tropical. Unfortunately not entirely typical, but not entirely unheard of either.

Yeah 10-20 ft vis is hardly tropical :). Think we had about the same yesterday, sometimes only 5 ft vis & some good surge :shakehead:.

But we also have some spectacular days here in the Kelp forests of Monterey, especially at Lobos.

Feel free to look me up if you ever head out west. I love diving with DIR divers :)! Just had an awesome dive weekend packed full of lots of long hoses and little blue H's ;-)!

Often our water is 50-53F, very rarely warmer, so a drysuit and thick UG's are your best friends!

The first dive at 50F isn't the problem...can go 30-35mins without risking hypothermia in my 7mm because it fits so well. It's the second dive of the day that gets me. Of course, if your boats have hot tubs on them like some of the SoCal boats.... :)

I don't mind the low vis. As long as it's at least 10 feet, it always feels like a good day. I had my first real tropical trip recently, and at times felt a little overwhelmed by the vis. Particulates keep me oriented :D

............You'll quickly find that being a regular on a boat and a good guy topside will put you in high esteem independent of what gear you use.

-matt

Obviously from someone who has been there. Yes, exactly! (skills help a bunch also)

I can't believe that I was lured into a DIR sub-forum:D

yes thank you for your experience in and out of the water. this weekend i had to suffer a barrage of DIR/GUE bashing and it was quite uninformed. a lot of jersey and ny wreck divers still hold onto an old and tiresome view of how gue divers are trained alike to be a cult. Me, I find it calming and know that like sam and ari, can understand the hand signs and hopefully be a good and thoughtful team member on any dive.

having said all that. my steady dive buddy is NOT gue and we communicate just fine, and dive like sweehearts, and run into no issues because we are not trained fromt the same organization. I think any good and safe diver with a touch of communication before a dive will have fun, be safe and relaxed.

as always respect given to divers who are more experienced than i
ww

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom