DIR in Jersey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why post a dive report when you know your teammate will chime in a day or two with a detailed one? :-O

So I was gsk3's buddy for this dive, and it was a great experience for sure. He already did a great job talking about the setup and the perks of diving in the system so I might just add a little from my perspective.

The diving was really nice. There seems to be a decently vibrant ecosystem in the atlantic even though the life is usually not what is brought up as a + when NJ diving is described. The pile of what used to be a wreck contained many different fish, lobster, and crabs all hiding together. Also there were many flounder (babies and adults) and rays to see as well.

I dive mostly to see the biology underwater and this was a great chance to see a lot of that while getting some great experience skill-wise. The bottom had a bit of surge what takes some getting used to. We were able to utilize our reel running skills in addition to other finning techniques, which resulted in some really comfortable dives, because neither of us were too worried about finding the anchor line (we were informed that if we shot an smb we better have a really good reason, because it is apparently a quick way to anger a NJ captain).

All in all a great experience! Ari was a great buddy, and having similar training definitely helped. I am a little disappointed in what seems to be a constant trend in jersey diving, and that is: dive charters rarely go to the wreck that is advertised.

I look forward to diving off of jersey again, and hopefully going to the wreck that we are supposed to go to. Perhaps Ari will even be good enough to dive with me again :)

The only thing keeping me from fundies is you. You would die laughing from "paybacks" and I would miss your posts :D

:popcorn: Yeah right :popcorn:

Whereas I was not at all disturbed by the moving around to different wrecks. My assumption is that the captain is picking based on which has the best conditions.

Tim was a great buddy, and I'd be happy to dive with him any time. Preferably with doubles instead of single LP98's+AL40 stage like we had to dive (long story). We got some good gas switch practice on the ascent though :)

lowviz - My evil plot has succeeded! You've been colored with pink-stained KoolAid.
Seriously, though, drop me a line some time and we'll dive together.

Best,
Ari

My hat's off to anybody who is brave enough to get on a boat and dive wrecks off New Jersey. Most of the time, I read about enormous swells, and envision trying to climb back on a boat in those kinds of conditions. I'm spoiled by Puget Sound placidity!

I really do think, as you two have written, that one of the very best things about being a DIR diver is the ability to integrate seamlessly into teams of people you've never met before. The system pretty much obliterates the "instabuddy" issues. It makes diving more relaxing and joyful.

.......... The pile of what used to be a wreck contained many different fish, lobster, and crabs all hiding together. Also there were many flounder (babies and adults) and rays to see as well.

Might have been the Mohawk, it was a shipping hazard -wire dragged and dynamited into what it is now. One of my favorite inshore wrecks, lots of life this time of year.

Whereas I was not at all disturbed by the moving around to different wrecks. My assumption is that the captain is picking based on which has the best conditions............

With so many wrecks to pick from, that is usually what happens.

...........lowviz - My evil plot has succeeded! You've been colored with pink-stained KoolAid.
Seriously, though, drop me a line some time and we'll dive together..........

Sounds like fun.

My hat's off to anybody who is brave enough to get on a boat and dive wrecks off New Jersey. Most of the time, I read about enormous swells, and envision trying to climb back on a boat in those kinds of conditions. ...........

The captains won't go out in those conditons, it is actually pretty tame on most of the trips. Add to that the crew who is ready to help you up and out -it is nowhere as bad as all that.

Might have been the Mohawk, it was a shipping hazard -wire dragged and dynamited into what it is now. One of my favorite inshore wrecks, lots of life this time of year.

Mohawk is 80ft and still has recognizable ship bits. This was 90ft and nothing resembling a ship. Literally steel I-beams in a big pile, with not much else recognizable. Still could be the Mohawk, but from the pictures on NJscuba I don't think it is.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom