DIR in Jersey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

............Seems like most Jersey boats want either AOW or a recommendation from someone they trust. I haven't found it to be an issue; they're just looking for safe divers.

Yes. And "intro" dives allow these divers to get squared away without them feeling like they are holding everyone back. Easy for local dive shops to get jaded and forget how important this is. Everyone on an "intro" trip has the same mindset, just get the divers into the water and back safely so they can get some experience. My dive suggestion in central NJ: the Joan III. Short trip, intact, upright tug. I got a nice bunch of blue mussels off the towing bit several years ago. Ask one of the crew to drag them for you and you won't even have to clean them. Even in very low visibility you can have a good dive (not get lost). Plus, you now have history on the dive boat. Very easy to book inshore dives from then on. Next, start to move offshore, it's how solid 'ocean divers' are born:D

The Independence II does start of season intro's and the John-Jack does end of season intro's (end of season, as in starting NOW). Lakeland on the Sea Lion now and again. There have to be more boats doing this, let us know!

I agree that more boats doing intro dives would be good. There also seem to be some shops that exist only to train people for tropical diving, and it would be good if boats doing intro dives could partner with these shops to get more people comfortable with local diving. There's a critical window when people are getting their initial OW training when you can forever alter their perception of local diving.

I agree that more boats doing intro dives would be good. There also seem to be some shops that exist only to train people for tropical diving, and it would be good if boats doing intro dives could partner with these shops to get more people comfortable with local diving. There's a critical window when people are getting their initial OW training when you can forever alter their perception of local diving.

Couldn't agree more. They should hand out copies of Rosenthal's "Scuba Diving the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY" as OW graduation presents. This is notably not a "how to" book, but a collection of stories that gives a true picture of local diving. Unfortunately, nothing like this exists for the area in NJ that I primarily dive.

I agree that more boats doing intro dives would be good. There also seem to be some shops that exist only to train people for tropical diving, and it would be good if boats doing intro dives could partner with these shops to get more people comfortable with local diving.

In reality, this is up to the shops and not the boats. The shop has the instructors and DM's to lead the dives. The boats? Well, we just have boats.

But seriously, every NJ boat runs "Intro" trips, and will happily work with any shop to arrange such an outing. However, if the shop has no instructors/DM's who are capable of leading the dives...

:shocked2:

I would hope that in this place and time we could leave all crap and bashing where it belongs "on the net". Seriously it is about being safe and not a liability to the boat or the capt. I see the long hose with doubles almost excluseively, myself included.
In todays economy no one would get turned away or treated badly on a mid atlantic charter I assure you. The other people on board would also be respectfull of the other divers as they helped make the dive a "go". In the mid atlantic the focus has to be on safety first, and shooting a bag un-briefed ahead of time here is the universal signal for the crap is hitting the fan.
All the boats have their own quirks as to minimum requirements, but it has been my experiance that it is about the individual/ sorry I mean team/ not about the cards. Mid atlantic boats have seen and done a lot and it only takes the capt. and crew a few minutes to size you up either good to go, or somebody keep an eye on them. Some boats will not let you on without a check out dive in shallow water or a referral, but hey that is what keeps everyone from filling out the hours and hours of Coast Gaurd paper work if there is an incident.
Eric

I would hope that in this place and time we could leave all crap and bashing where it belongs "on the net". Seriously it is about being safe and not a liability to the boat or the capt. I see the long hose with doubles almost excluseively, myself included.
In todays economy no one would get turned away or treated badly on a mid atlantic charter I assure you. The other people on board would also be respectfull of the other divers as they helped make the dive a "go". In the mid atlantic the focus has to be on safety first, and shooting a bag un-briefed ahead of time here is the universal signal for the crap is hitting the fan.
All the boats have their own quirks as to minimum requirements, but it has been my experiance that it is about the individual/ sorry I mean team/ not about the cards. Mid atlantic boats have seen and done a lot and it only takes the capt. and crew a few minutes to size you up either good to go, or somebody keep an eye on them. Some boats will not let you on without a check out dive in shallow water or a referral, but hey that is what keeps everyone from filling out the hours and hours of Coast Gaurd paper work if there is an incident.
Eric

I wish bashing was kept "on the net" as you mention, but I have been mocked and bashed IN PERSON for my selection of gear and diving mentality. THANKFULLY, on the dive charter this day EVERYONE was friendly and never mentioned anything other than a DM asking my buddy and me a few questions (all completely reasonable). It was a great experience!

Sorry to hear you have been mistreated. If you want to add Ocean City MD to the dir approved list check out the o.c. diver.com. He has entry level dive days for new to the boat and ocean people, and I allways seem to have a couple of spots available on "Delaware Divers" trips. A couple of fun I mean fundie divers would be welcome.
Eric

I can remember two years ago when i was JUST starting to dive, and i was in a dive club. We met for drinks in the city and one of the gals there was very serious about telling me how i was NOT at all a candidate for jersey diving. SHE WAS RIGHT. but having said that she also added that any captain will let you on a boat with an AOW card. So after taking my AOW and knowing maybe one billionth more diving info, " i was ready to dive the jersey coast" ....DOH no , I was not....it took me another year of learning how to dive and be prepared for all that the jersey ocean has to throw at you.

I think these into dives are a wonderful idea if you cannot find a mentor/dive buddy to work with you in a safe environment first.

sorry that happened to you Tim , so far all my dives have been with other divers who didnt give me a second look to even care what i was diving. :)

ww

I wish bashing was kept "on the net" as you mention, but I have been mocked and bashed IN PERSON for my selection of gear and diving mentality.

Tim - There is hope, I recently dove Montauk, LI, with a group of non-GUE/UTD divers and not one "Kool-Aid" comment from any of the other divers. They were great buddies and we stayed together for the entire dive following the plan. A few questions but out of genuine curiosity. No bashing, no ribbing and no jabs at my gear or my training.

I understand and share your frustration about the IN PERSON bashing. It's tiring to get a "Kool-Aid" comment especially when I'm not shoving my dive gear nor my dive mentality on others. If my buddy and I are fine diving the way we dive I think others should keep their comments to themselves. I do not mind answering questions from the curious divers as it makes everyone a more informed diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom