DIR in Jersey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I glad to hear that you guys had a good experience. I personally enjoy New Jersey wreck diving as do a lot of our customers. Dutch Springs is great for not getting "Blown Out" and practicing skills but it can not duplicate the environmental (waves, surge, mono-filament line, viz, etc..) issues that we face off of the coast. NJ Wreck Diving forces you to keep all your skills (buoyancy, buddy comm., reel use, etc..) sharp and the more you dive it the better you become as a diver.

Don't worry about the DIR persona thing, you are always welcome on our boats (with no hassle) if you wish to go out again.

I glad to hear that you guys had a good experience. I personally enjoy New Jersey wreck diving as do a lot of our customers. Dutch Springs is great for not getting "Blown Out" and practicing skills but it can not duplicate the environmental (waves, surge, mono-filament line, viz, etc..) issues that we face off of the coast. NJ Wreck Diving forces you to keep all your skills (buoyancy, buddy comm., reel use, etc..) sharp and the more you dive it the better you become as a diver.

Don't worry about the DIR persona thing, you are always welcome on our boats (with no hassle) if you wish to go out again.

-need more shops that will sponsor cheap, fun, weekend afternoon "intro" dives for the "never-tried-it crowd", you guys game??? I can't believe that something like Jersey diving goes begging:idk:

-need more shops that will sponsor cheap, fun, weekend afternoon "intro" dives for the "never-tried-it crowd", you guys game??? I can't believe that something like Jersey diving goes begging

I can see if I can put something like that together. I'll post it if we do.

We do have 2 great wrecks towards the end of the month, that are "must dive" Jersey wreck sites.

Stolt Dagali
It's about 13 miles off the coast with the top of the wreck ranging from 55' to 70' and 130' to the sand. Don't get turned off about the 130', you can have a great dive and not go deeper then 100' .
DIVESeekers.com Call us Toll Free 888-728-2247

U.S.S. Algol
Another great wreck and is right by the Stolt. Top of the Tower at 75' with the main deck at 105' and it is 130' to the sand. Same thing, you can have a great dive and keep it no deeper than 100'/105'.
DIVESeekers.com Call us Toll Free 888-728-2247

This is typically the best time of year to dive Jersey (providing you get out). The water is generally the warmest and because of the location (12 to 14 miles out) of these wrecks, I've seen 50' to 60' Viz before. So even though it's $95 for 2 dives, these wrecks are way worth it primarily do to size, condition (in tact), and oh, yeah, Fun Factor of 10!

** Divers must have at least an AOW Cert or equivalent (Fundies), redundant air system (doubles or sling), reel/spool, and lift bag/SMB.

please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thanks for both reports. Sounds like you had a great weekend of diving.

If you ever get north of the border, send me a line. :)

Chantelle,

Will do. We hear things about how much fun y'all have up in the great white North! If you're ever around drop us a line as well.

Last edited:
** Divers must have at least an AOW Cert or equivalent (Fundies), redundant air system (doubles or sling), reel/spool, and lift bag/SMB.

I really like the fact that you see that value that Fundies brings... My buddy does not have an AOW card.. but has been thru Fundies and has his Cave 1 cert. Not that he's ever been denied access to an "AOW" boat.

Do most NJ boats screen for OW/AOW/Experience divers when they book?

I agree it's a good policy to accept other more skills-intensive courses in lieu of AOW. Rescue would also be a good option, although most agencies require AOW before rescue.

Seems like most Jersey boats want either AOW or a recommendation from someone they trust. I haven't found it to be an issue; they're just looking for safe divers.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom