DIR Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba spark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm at a crossroads in my diving right now. I'm still inexperienced, and I know that I have plenty to learn. I contacted GUE last year and asked them about instructors in my area. I didn't pursue it any further because I didn't have the equipment, I couldn't fit a trip up to Michigan into my schedule and I knew that I needed to get more dives before considering it.

After re-evaluating what I want to get out of diving the past few weeks, I decided to dig up the email GUE sent me. They said that the two closest instructors would be Brandon Schwartz and Scot Wernette, both in Michigan (is it ok for me to put their names up?). Do any of you have any experience with either of them, or know if they're still teaching and in that area? I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll take the class, and I don't think I'd be ready until next year anyway. I still have plenty of things to work on this year.

I took my first DIR-F class with Brandon, and would recommend him as an excellent instructor. Although I felt that my class was too rushed, it was primarily due to scheduling issues that were beyond his control. The level of his knowledge, quality of instruction and his professionalism were very high. If you have the opportunity to take a class from him, I say go for it ... I don't think you'll be sorry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have no doubts that I'll learn plenty of useful things, I'm just worried about leaving my favorite diving partner behind. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend doesn't have any desire to get that serious with her diving and she's the one that introduced me to it.

scuba spark:
I have no doubts that I'll learn plenty of useful things, I'm just worried about leaving my favorite diving partner behind. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend doesn't have any desire to get that serious with her diving and she's the one that introduced me to it.
I wouldn't be too worried about it ... taking Fundies didn't prevent me from continuing to dive with my favorite diving parter, despite the fact that she wears split fins, uses a traditional regulator, and insists that she has no interest in being anything other than an "underwater tourist".

Over time she has adjusted her trim and adopted a split-fin version of a frog kick based on what she calls "contamination" from her association with me and my DIR-trained friends ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You never know . . . When I took Fundies, my "diving partner" (read spouse) was snide about this being overkill for recreational diving, that I was wrecking my own diving by changing my gear, that the DIR divers were a bunch of elitist arrogant snobs . . .

Bottom line, guess who took Fundies last weekend? It's amazing how it rubs off over time.

I know I plan to lose this weight and get all of my gear by the first of the year and then shortly after New Years (or a few months after) I'll find a warm place to take my Fundies class. (May have to take out a loan though. :p)

I'd say go for it. If you don't have your gear, get it first and get used to it. As many others have said on here, don't worry about passing or failing Fundies. It's just a starting point to guide you in the right direction, it's up to you to take the next step in perfecting what you were showing in the class.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Michael

NWGratefulDiver:
based on what she calls "contamination" from her association with me and my DIR-trained friends ... :wink:
I like that. Contamination.

JeffG:
I like that. Contamination.
Cheng has a lovely way of putting things ... something, I suspect, that comes from translating Chinese concepts into English terminology ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I took my GUEF with Brando and Scot. Both are great guys and awesome instructors. I'd say go for it, you will be amazed at how much you will learn. There's also a newly minted GUE instructor in Kentuky, Ed Gabe. That may be closer than Brando and Scot in MI. If you can get a crew together, most GUE instructors will travel to you to do the class. Of course the crew has to pay travel expenses. Something to look into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom