DIR Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the response folks. I'd like to be able to get a group of people together here to take the class, but I've got a feeling that I'll end up making a trip somewhere else to take the class. It makes me happy to see that y'all are still diving with your partners even though they haven't gone through DIR-F.......yet.

TSandM, I've read your husbands posts about how he approaches DIR. I think that's probably the approach I'm going to take. I'll take the class with the intent of learning, and not stressing over whether or not I get a pass. I don't know if I'll ever take any steps past fundies, I just want to make sure I can be as safe as possible in the water and make sure that the number of people that end the dive with me is equal to the number that starts.

TSandM:
You never know . . . When I took Fundies, my "diving partner" (read spouse) was snide about this being overkill for recreational diving, that I was wrecking my own diving by changing my gear, that the DIR divers were a bunch of elitist arrogant snobs . . .

Bottom line, guess who took Fundies last weekend? It's amazing how it rubs off over time.

All GUE divers are arrogant and elitist snobs! Oh wait......

Oh, I know . . . I'm almost there on elitism, but I've got to work on the arrogance, don't I?

Brando and Scot are a couple of Strokes! :D Just kidding. These two are very good instructors. I was present for their Fundamentals IE with GUE and both were impressive. We were all part of the first Fundamantals class at Gilboa back in 2002. Since that time, I have had the pleasure to do several cave dives with these guys and have helped video some of their local classes. You would definitely appreciate Brando's humor. Scot isn't as funny, but you will get along with him as well. They are good dive buddies to have, but look out, Brando has a way of pulling you in deeper; debt that is :wink:

They were teaching as of last year. You should pm Brando through his email listed on the GUE instuctors page. If that dosen't work, I'm sure someone on the list will forward a request to him. Don't wait to develop bad habits, have the instructor help you early in your diving career.

scuba spark:
I'm at a crossroads in my diving right now. I'm still inexperienced, and I know that I have plenty to learn. I contacted GUE last year and asked them about instructors in my area. I didn't pursue it any further because I didn't have the equipment, I couldn't fit a trip up to Michigan into my schedule and I knew that I needed to get more dives before considering it.

After re-evaluating what I want to get out of diving the past few weeks, I decided to dig up the email GUE sent me. They said that the two closest instructors would be Brandon Schwartz and Scot Wernette, both in Michigan (is it ok for me to put their names up?). Do any of you have any experience with either of them, or know if they're still teaching and in that area? I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll take the class, and I don't think I'd be ready until next year anyway. I still have plenty of things to work on this year.

Dan Gibson:
Don't wait to develop bad habits, have the instructor help you early in your diving career.
That's good advice ... I wish I'd have taken Fundies about 800 dives sooner than I did ... would've made things a lot easier along the way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

People shouldn't be afraid to take it early because they don't feel they are up to it. It's all about learning, not passing the first time.

NWGratefulDiver:
That's good advice ... I wish I'd have taken Fundies about 800 dives sooner than I did ... would've made things a lot easier along the way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dan Gibson:
People shouldn't be afraid to take it early because they don't feel they are up to it. It's all about learning, not passing the first time.

I just want to be able to make it through the class, no mind pass or fail. Next year I'll be ready, just wait and see. :)

Michael

I'm the poster child for "don't worry about passing the first time". It took me 6 months to pass, and I needed every minute of it. And it was still the second best thing that's happened to me about diving (meeting Bob was the first).

Is it okay to be arrogant but not qualify for elitist :) Convincing my best dive buddy (wifer) to take GUEF is like walking in a minefield. She is a way too smart for me and is usally about 3 steps ahead. I think I have something that may work though, I told her how hot she looks in a black wetsuit, black fins, black mask........ If all else fails, appeal to vanity. I think she is on to me though. I saw a new black leather jacket, new black boots, new black purse.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom