Dir, utd, wtf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say ymmv on this one, Lynne. I did the attached dive with a UTD trained dive buddy on air and 50%. He was also using air and 50%. I won't give up names, but I'll tell you that you've met this guy personally, Lynne. We had been going gradually and increasingly deeper on air. After every dive, we would discuss if we felt narcosis or if we saw evidence of narcosis in the other. It came to the point were he felt comfortable trying out this dive. We did and the dive went out exactly as planned with no incidents.

Its not hard when things go "exactly as planned", its hard when they don't.

On this note, I've heard rumors that GUE will take away certifications from a diver for certain offenses. I do not know if UTD will do likewise. Is this true? If so can anyone provide an example of an offense of "de-certifying" magnitude.

Creating substative business ties with a competitor or creating/selling competing products. Falsifying certifications or "teaching" beyond one's credentials. I can think of 4 examples which fall into these categories. Being in a high drama rescue; I can think of one example here although it was mixed in with some of the previous. Poor teaching performance; I can think of 3 examples in this category. All liberally sprinkled with various interpersonal conflicts.

I don't know about UTD and "revoking" cards, it might be in their standards I haven't looked.

I'd say ymmv on this one, Lynne. I did the attached dive with a UTD trained dive buddy on air and 50%. He was also using air and 50%. I won't give up names, but I'll tell you that you've met this guy personally, Lynne. We had been going gradually and increasingly deeper on air. After every dive, we would discuss if we felt narcosis or if we saw evidence of narcosis in the other. It came to the point were he felt comfortable trying out this dive. We did and the dive went out exactly as planned with no incidents.

I wonder how do you guys manage not to have or feel narc on those deep dives. Every time I dive even to 100 ft I feel it.... I dive to that range pretty much every week lately and so far failed to get used to the feeling... Lazy swimming I'm ok... once any activity has to be done - "hello baby, I'm here...." All those dives are done on 32

I wonder how do you guys manage not to have or feel narc on those deep dives. Every time I dive even to 100 ft I feel it.... I dive to that range pretty much every week lately and so far failed to get used to the feeling... Lazy swimming I'm ok... once any activity has to be done - "hello baby, I'm here...." All those dives are done on 32
I don't feel narc'ed at 147ft on air, I tried it once. However my buddies weren't as impressed with my ability to manage narcosis. :depressed:

I've said it before, but the biggest risk with narcosis is the fact that you don't realize how impaired you are until a new stimulus is introduced. You'd be fine going through the motions, but when you have to problem solve, it's an issue.

Its not hard when things go "exactly as planned", its hard when they don't.
That's when the superior training and the superior skills will kick in :cool2:.
Creating substative business ties with a competitor or creating/selling competing products. Falsifying certifications or "teaching" beyond one's credentials. I can think of 4 examples which fall into these categories. Being in a high drama rescue; I can think of one example here although it was mixed in with some of the previous. Poor teaching performance; I can think of 3 examples in this category. All liberally sprinkled with various interpersonal conflicts.

I don't know about UTD and "revoking" cards, it might be in their standards I haven't looked.
Thanks. I'm always worried if I'm getting any of my friends in trouble because I yap my mouth too loosely in SB. That'd be the last thing I'd want to do.

Elan and James, is this going to turn into another deep air thread? ... should I reply....?

I don't feel narc'ed at 147ft on air, I tried it once. However my buddies weren't as impressed with my ability to manage narcosis. :depressed:

I've said it before, but the biggest risk with narcosis is the fact that you don't realize how impaired you are until a new stimulus is introduced. You'd be fine going through the motions, but when you have to problem solve, it's an issue.

Yeah, I'm not completely incapacitated by it - I actually had a case this spring when I had a free flow and had to perform shutdowns at around 90 ft and I was capable of thinking and making decisions but, man, you feel the brain slowing down...

Thanks. I'm always worried if I'm getting any of my friends in trouble because I yap my mouth too loosely in SB. That'd be the last thing I'd want to do.

Ya quit it. I have been thrown out of the shop a few times for mentioning your name :eyebrow: :D

lol j/k

That's when the superior training and the superior skills will kick in :cool2:. Thanks. I'm always worried if I'm getting any of my friends in trouble because I yap my mouth too loosely in SB. That'd be the last thing I'd want to do.

Elan and James, is this going to turn into another deep air thread? ... should I reply....?

Not you do not have to :) I guess we do not need to make another thread , too many of them lets just stay in the context of the gases...

I"m actually find myself guilty in diving air to shallower depth with my GUE buddies as it's quite a nightmare to mix 32 for shallower - 40 ft dives, the shop does not have pre-banked 32 so it is always pp . Although other GUE guys refuse to dive anything but 32 even in the local mud hole and the dive shop loves them

My guess is that all of us have been guilty of diving air from time to time. Just not at technical depths . . . :)

Each individual diver is free, of course, to do what he wishes. But the GUE folks I know in the Bay Area wouldn't be doing tech dives on air, which is why I answered the OP the way I did.

Ya quit it. I have been thrown out of the shop a few times for mentioning your name :eyebrow: :D
Mike, if they give you any grief, use the crazy eye technique to beat them into submission.

But make sure you practice the skill to perfection first. Else...

Not you do not have to :) I guess we do not need to make another thread , too many of them lets just stay in the context of the gases...

I"m actually find myself guilty in diving air to shallower depth with my GUE buddies as it's quite a nightmare to mix 32 for shallower - 40 ft dives, the shop does not have pre-banked 32 so it is always pp . Although other GUE guys refuse to dive anything but 32 even in the local mud hole and the dive shop loves them
Maybe it's my personality, but I do not respond well to fear mongering or people telling something should not be done because it's too dangerous or that it can't be done. I'm by no means anywhere near the status of a diving god, and no, I am not suicidal, I don't have a death wish. I do love knowledge and in particular applying that knowledge. I'll be very grateful if I can learn something of value from you, rjack, James, or anybody else. That said, human nature has this tendency to get involved into little tribal units and all of a sudden matters that are trivial in the grand scheme of things turn into a situation of "us" against "them".

I have no interest in diving except for a strict personal enjoyment sense. My livelihood does not include selling stuff or training related to scuba. I am not interested in collecting badges, c-cards, or fame. I do not care about being able to wear a certain label of advanced tech uberdiver. As a human I do enjoy being social. But I also enjoy occasional solitude, even when diving.

I see the DIR philosophy and I see many things that are extremely valuable, I would even say the vast majority of it falls within this classification. I meet DIR divers in real life and they are very decent, cool human beings. But I do not agree 100% with everything DIR. And in the grand scheme of things that means absolutely squat because come the weekend you are going to dive how you chose to dive even if it means using 32% for a 30 min dive in a 40' mud hole.

I think as of late, many DIR practitioners are taking a less militant, judgmental stance in the real world and are becoming more pragmatic. I think this is a very good thing for everybody. It's not religion. The eternal fate of your soul is not riding on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom