DIR weightbelt use question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
yeah, but even with a wetsuit, why do you need to ditch weight in such a hurry?
Loss of buoyancy on the surface at the beginning of the dive while wearing doubles with a lot of gas in them.

OTOH, accidently ditching weight while deep and having a deco obligation is not great.

As in most areas, one has to balance the various risks.

lamont:

Because if you DO have a buoyancy failure (horny beaver steals your Diverite wing), you'll need to ditch your weights since you don't have a dry suit for backup buoyancy.

It's not a definitive answer or any thing, just my guess hehe.

Kriterian:
I've been wondering about it too. If you have it under for the dry suit, my guess is that it's because the suit provides redundant buyoancy and the belt doesn't need to come off as quickly. <shrug>

Partially correct I think. Because using a drysuit you have redundant buoyancy, the possbiliity of accidentially dropping the belt becomes a worse scenario, so wear it under the harness. In a wet suit, if you have a wing failure, along with the compression of the neoprene, getting to it more quickly outweighs the danger of accidentially losing it.

BTW, what's DIRs take on the DUI Weight & Trim? I know some use it, but, is it seal-of-approval DIR? (No under/over issue with it.)

I wore my weight belt under my harness because I couldn't get it to fit properly over (thanks Tobin for the instructions - I think I'll try it just to see how it works) I have had 2 times where the crotch strap cought my weight belt after the buckle accidentally was released, preventing me from losing my weight.

I'm curious about thoughts on my new weighting "system" - I recently switched to the XS scuba pouches and put them on my harness waist strap so I could just reach in and pull them out (as a bonus they are VERY comfortable now too) It simplifies the rig, makes my weight secure, but ditchable (I guess it's similar to the ACB from Halcyon idea) - Any comments?

Aloha, Tim

lamont:

Charlie99:
Loss of buoyancy on the surface at the beginning of the dive while wearing doubles with a lot of gas in them....

I think DIR stipulates that you should never dive doubles with a wet suit because it is very difficult to achieve a balanced rig.

srbsep:
I think DIR stipulates that you should never dive doubles with a wet suit because it is very difficult to achieve a balanced rig.

That is not the case...

Double AL 80's and a 3mm wetsuit is very much DIR (as this was how my GUE instructor and 3 students dove this past Sunday).

kidspot:
I have had 2 times where the crotch strap cought my weight belt after the buckle accidentally was released, preventing me from losing my weight.
Both you and other BP/wing divers have reported multiple instances of weightbelt buckles opening. Is there something about the BP/w harness system or other part of the DIR/Hogarthian gear system that makes this so common?

Charlie99:
Both you and other BP/wing divers have reported multiple instances of weightbelt buckles opening. Is there something about the BP/w harness system or other part of the DIR/Hogarthian gear system that makes this so common?

hmmm... Once it was because I snagged a line in the water on my buckle (not hog related) the other time was because my weight belt slid around and caught on the waist belt because I did not have it on tight enough - (which would not have happened had it been over the crotch strap) So that may have been gear related...

Tim

srbsep:

That's no steel cylinders with a wet suit based on their buoyancy charcteristics.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom