DIR weightbelt use question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim,

I've seen a few people setup their rigs like that. I suggest putting the pouches on upside down (thanks Darkpup / Jason) so you can just open them to dump weight.

I was actually going to suggest that Jasonmh try this, since he only needs 3# on each side. We put them on right next to the backplate. The waist D-Ring keeps the left one from moving around and the light clip / light keep the right one on.

And the rule is to dive a balanced rig, whatever that means for the particular person. If you put a V-weight on a set of AL doubles you may not be able to swim them up when they are full if you are wearing a wetsuit and you are at 150'. A "balanced rig" is different for everyone, so those "rules" should be considered more as guidelines. They say it is pretty damn hard to swim up if you are 12# negative...

Mark

JWU42:
That is not the case...

Double AL 80's and a 3mm wetsuit is very much DIR (as this was how my GUE instructor and 3 students dove this past Sunday).

You are right. Like Laser already said, I meant negatively buoyant steel cylinders worn in combination with a thick wetsuit.

Yes they are.

kidspot:
Thanks for the idea Mark, I'm curious if they are secure enough, being that it's only a velcro closure holding them closed...

Tim

One thing worth noting about Velcro (or other hook and loop fasteners) They wear out. The more often you cycle them, the faster they wear out. Hate to "auto dump" on a giant stride entry.

Given that it's unlikely that instant weight removal is the goal, I'm pretty content with my pouches "right side up" Remember unbuckling the waist strap, fishing the buckle back through the crotch strap, removing the second buckle, and sliding off the light canister, is (was?) considered a DIR method of ditching weight. By comparison pulling a weight out the top of a pouch seems pretty quick.

I use a weight belt, and only occassionally open the pouches to change weight.

If I had the weights on my rig I wonder if I'd remove them more often for ease of cleanup or handling? Just a thought.

Tobin

Tobin

kidspot:
I wore my weight belt under my harness because I couldn't get it to fit properly over (thanks Tobin for the instructions - I think I'll try it just to see how it works) I have had 2 times where the crotch strap cought my weight belt after the buckle accidentally was released, preventing me from losing my weight.

Aloha, Tim

Tim, What kind of buckle did you have on the weight belt? The Halcyon and Scuba Pro buckles close really streamline. I used a dive rite one time and the end of the latch kinda stuck up, In that case I can see how it could get caught on the crotch strap. Also, did you take the time to tighten it up a bit at depth when the suit compressed?

The system that Mark is talking about is also very cool! I'm not sure what the instructors take is on using the waist belt for lead but I've seen a buch of people use it. Funny I was just going to buy one today to offset my light. For me, the Argon rig isn't enough.

-Chris

It is fine according to one of my Fundies instructors
03.gif

Mark

CALI68:
The system that Mark is talking about is also very cool! I'm not sure what the instructors take is on using the waist belt for lead but I've seen a buch of people use it. Funny I was just going to buy one today to offset my light. For me, the Argon rig isn't enough.

-Chris

Chris,

It was a DiveRite also - lol ... I switched to another one that was flat also, but had not thought about that being the cause before... I'll continue with the weight pouches integrated for now I think ...

Mark,

Thanks for the tip, for now I think I'll keep it the way it is, as Tobin pointed out it's still much simpler than removing a belt from under the crotch strap...

Tim

CALI68:
Tim, What kind of buckle did you have on the weight belt? The Halcyon and Scuba Pro buckles close really streamline. I used a dive rite one time and the end of the latch kinda stuck up, In that case I can see how it could get caught on the crotch strap. Also, did you take the time to tighten it up a bit at depth when the suit compressed?

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom