Disfunctional Dive Knives that Endanger Divers - ScubaMax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod and Dr Lecter, where do you wear your Tekna and how affixed.

While I'm at it, might as well ask where divers are wearing their Trilobites too. I have one and not overly happy with placement.

Mine Tekna knife is on my waist belt to the left. My Trilobite is on my left shoulder harness strap.

When the situation calls for a knife the Tekna is up to the job. For people who are dangerous to themselves with sharp objects I think it comes in a blunt tip and also a high dollars titanium model.

The Tekna dagger is not a BFK, it probably is not larger than the Chinese POS you had before you lost it twice and which would have snapped in to two pieces if you had ever really needed it.

That is what I mean by real, if you cannot count on it then it is a toy.

As to scissors, whatever, I will take my knife. Most of those scissors are Chinese crap too.

When I broke my left femur, the Fire Rescue arrived and insisted on cutting my favorite pair of Scott Tinley bike shorts off of me with those stupid shears to my vigorous protest and threats to kick their arises if they did. Yep, they broke and he grabbed a second pair. China crap.

N

And as Buddhasummer said, that's my problem. :) I wear a bcd. Thanks gang.

I use a folding lock blade modified with a clip that can be attached to a ring on my harness.

IMG_1958.jpgIMG_1505.jpg

The harness is also made to carry a tank, I use this one with a 30 cu/ft tank and modified another to carry a full size tank & wing.

IMG_2374.jpgIMG_2373.jpgIMG_2372.jpg

....................never mind.

Last edited:
If you do get a Trilobyte, I recommend getting some heavy duty silicone grease and coating the blades before you dive it. This will not interfere with the cutting action, but will prevent saltwater corrosion.

I use one, and a Wenoka titanium knife that is wicked sharp.

As to scissors, whatever, I will take my knife. Most of those scissors are Chinese crap too.

When I broke my left femur, the Fire Rescue arrived and insisted on cutting my favorite pair of Scott Tinley bike shorts off of me with those stupid shears to my vigorous protest and threats to kick their arises if they did. Yep, they broke and he grabbed a second pair. China crap.

I respect a good piece of steel with pleasing geometry and properly sharpened edges more than most people, but for diving shears are hard to beat. Even an ultra-hard, dramatically serrated edge wouldn't handle wire leader or the kind of electric wiring you can find in wrecks worth a damn.

Like knives, there are tons of cheap crap shears out there. Like knives, there are good ones out there, too. But unlike knives, I think that every one I've seen is still basically disposable. Even the Ti-coated ones tend to have a weakness in the rivet, but they don't rust out at the handles.

If you do get a Trilobyte, I recommend getting some heavy duty silicone grease and coating the blades before you dive it. This will not interfere with the cutting action, but will prevent saltwater corrosion.

It's more preventing a kind of scale rust from accumulating on the surface of the blade, I think, than corrosion of the actual blade itself. Still good practice.

I carry a small cheap line cutter with a lanyard of bungie around my right wrist and tucked in my glove. Trauma shears in a sheath on my waist harness... pushed towards the plate. I've never owned a dive knife.

I've had a number of pairs of shears, of increasing value. Regardless, even the best as lector said earlier, rusted out at the hinge.

These are some of the cheapest and best knives available. Yes it is simply a cut off steak knife, that happens to whack thru rope easily, along with other materials. Yet is safe for the person using it. If you loose it :idk:

dir_knife_1.jpg

I had a Tekna for many years, but it is too big and not the proper knife for "me". I sold it.

A pair of shears makes for a great SECOND CUTTING DEVICE. In fact they are generally my primary cutting device. I keep them in my right pocket clipped off. Saved a crab trapped in fishing line with my shears even. Mine have been in my pocket for hundreds of dives and at a cost of around $5.00 from a bulk purchase who cares if the hinge rust. FWIW WD40 protects metal. You must be buying really cheap shears if they are rusting bad.

Or maybe i don't lube the hinge. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom