Dive Accident on Belize Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived the Belize Aggressor last year.

The boat swings a great deal when anchored. We were warned about this before our first dive. In rough sees, the boat can swing away (out of sight) on its mooring and not return for 20 minutes. I can't see how the OP was surprised by this unless the saftey briefing has changed.

You are on vacation (no need to fight currents). If you do not have the gas to wait at 20ft for 20 mins, then surface. The dive deck is always manned with someone watching for troubled divers. If you can put up a SMB, then great, if not you will still be spotted.

I admit getting caught in the current once. Surface and wave to the recovery boat. Wait for it to arrive. It threw a rope to us and then towed us about a three quarter mile to the main boat. This was far more effective than trying to board that little recovery boat with equipment. I don't see why the OP attempted to board the little recovery boat.

I also know of at least two occasions on that trip where the captain suggested to some divers that the conditions / site were not suited to their skill / experience level.

The waters require a 3mm wet suit if at all. If you need ankle weights with a 3mm wet suit, then you need to rethink your gear selection and set up.

I dived the Belize Aggressor last year.

the boat can swing away (out of sight) on its mooring and not return for 20 minutes. I can't see how the OP was surprised by this unless the saftey briefing has changed.

I have never done a liveaboard - but as a lifelong boater - I have a difficult time understanding how a boat can swing so far as to be out of site? Even in 100 FSW with a 10 to 1 scope (not likely - but worst case scenario in a storm)- thats only a 1000 feet of line. A REAL STORM is the only condition that anyone would use 10 to 1 - which woul dbe undiveable. Most likely is 3 or 5 to 1. With part of the line being vertical - how can a big boat be out of site?????

I have never done a liveaboard - but as a lifelong boater - I have a difficult time understanding how a boat can swing so far as to be out of site? Even in 100 FSW with a 10 to 1 scope (not likely - but worst case scenario in a storm)- thats only a 1000 feet of line. A REAL STORM is the only condition that anyone would use 10 to 1 - which woul dbe undiveable. Most likely is 3 or 5 to 1. With part of the line being vertical - how can a big boat be out of site?????
The boat is tied from the bow to a shallow mooring. That is the pivot point. The arc that the stern (where reboarding happens) subtends is a function of the length of the line to the mooring (not long) plus the 110' length of the Aggressor. I don't know, maybe 140' total? It's maximum swing would be 180˚, presumably, but probably more like 90˚, so at most a 280' swim, but probably more like 200' (pythagoras). So, not out of site, but yes, out of sight (underwater, at least).

The boat is tied from the bow to a shallow mooring. That is the pivot point. The arc that the stern (where reboarding happens) subtends is a function of the length of the line to the mooring (not long) plus the 110' length of the Aggressor. I don't know, maybe 140' total? It's maximum swing would be 180˚, presumably, but probably more like 90˚, so at most a 280' swim, but probably more like 200' (pythagoras). So, not out of site, but yes, out of sight (underwater, at least).

OK. That makes sense. I took the post to mean that it was possible to surface - and find the boat to be completely out of sight (visual contact) from the divers in the water. I couldnt understand how that is possible with an anchored boat, or GIANT, stacked waves.

I took the post to mean that it was possible to surface - and find the boat to be completely out of sight (visual contact) from the divers in the water. I couldnt understand how that is possible with an anchored boat, or GIANT, stacked waves.

I guess I should have been more clear. I had intended to say you can't see the boat while waiting underwater. If you can't see the boat from 200ft away while on the surface, I am thumbing the dive in favour of a beer.

Surface and wave to the recovery boat. Wait for it to arrive. It threw a rope to us and then towed us about a three quarter mile to the main boat. This was far more effective than trying to board that little recovery boat with equipment. I don't see why the OP attempted to board the little recovery boat.

Now this makes sense. It's hard enough trying to hoist yourself out of the water into a dinghy (with or without gear), especially when you're exhausted !

I am glad you are OK- the good news is you had the capability to get proper medical care. I think the problem originated when you tried to swim to the boat even though you were tired. I used to do this as well because my dive buddy would have been embarassed to be picked up but then I decided that he was just going to have to deal with it because I was not going to exhaust myself so I couldn't dive safely anymore that day. Sometimes I ask for a pickup and he swims in- that is fine. I think the dive operation did what they could have and should have. If I am too tired to get in the boat with my tank on- I tell them and I take it off in the water and they take it from there. So don't be shy- do what you need to do so you have a good experience and the dive operators won't mind it I am sure.

My Belize scuba diving vacation aboard the Belize Aggressor. . .great for the first 3 days. But, then I had a scuba diving accident on Jan 3 that resulted in a near drowning and heart attack. Third world hospital in Belize was not a great place, so doctor there had me medically evacuated back home to Leesburg Regional's ICU. Came home Monday, Jan. 9 night. Heart cath showed I had a healthy heart and the only reason I had a heart attack was from lack of oxegyn due to sea water aspiration. We had gotten caught in a very strong current. The conditions on that last dive were bad and seemed to turn worse during our dive. We made the decision to turn back early. We were doing our stop under the boat. We even saw the ladders when we were in 30 ft. We came up to 20 feet and then hung out at 20 foot for several more minutes. Then the boat disappeared from sight. We tried to wait there, thinking it would swing back. It did not. My husband surfaced to get a direction and we headed in that direction. We had to swim into the current to get back to the boat. I was swimming into the current with ankle weights on (supid). I forgot they were there. I should have dumped them, but did not. I guess swimming with the ankle weights on added to my exhaustion. When we realized there was no way to get back to the boat, we surfaced and signaled for help. We both inflated our BCs and waited for the rescue raft. When the dive instructor got to us, I handed up to him my camera and the weight pockets from the BCD. I was not able to get up in the raft with the tank and other gear on, so the dive instructor removed my BC, tank and regulator. When he removed my BCD and tank, I sank (ankle weights) as a wave raised the raft over my head. I was under the raft gasping for air. I guess that’s when I aspirated so much sea water. As I was trying to kick to get a hold of the grasp handle on the side of the raft, it seemed it was just inches out of reach as each wave raised the raft out of my reach. After multiple trys to grab on, it seemed impossible. At that moment, I gave up. I thought there was no way possible to get into the raft. The dive instructor did not give up on me. He kept saying “you will get up here” and “and we are going to do this”. I am so thankful for his calm, but forceful confidence that encouraged me to give it all I could to get into that raft. I know he was bailing water and trying to maneuver the raft as he helped my husband up into the raft. He kept a level head and made a rescue. We had a 4 hour boat ride back in to Belize city. At first we thought I had just aspirated sea water, but by morning it was apparent that I also had a heart attack. This could have been so much worse, but God has much more for me in this life.

I know leaving ankle weights on was my fault,but I believe the crew of the Belize Aggressor had some responsibility in all this too. They have not stepped up in any way to accept their responsibility. The weather was bad the whole trip. We skipped the first dive in the morning, made the second dive and skipped the 3rd dive. The guys that made the 3rd dive said they thought conditions were too rough for any more diving. An hour later, the Captain said let's dive. We trusted the Captain to know the conditions as he is on these waters frequently. I know ultimately it is my responsibility to decide if a dive is safe for me, but the captain said it was ok. Next, the current was so strong there was a long dely in getting the raft out to us. They had to use 3 men to pull the raft up to the boat. I believe they had an electric winch, but didn't use it. Next, they only sent one guy in the raft to rescue us. I am 6 foot 1 inch - they should have known, he would need help getting me up into the raft. Further, with 2 guys in the rescue raft, they could have pulled me in with all my gear on. I would not have aspirated sea water and would not have had a heart attack. Additionally, I had been using one of their regulators. I am not sure that it was delivering enough oxygen. I have been in current before and never got this short of breath.

I am wondering if any one else sees that the dive operator had some share of responsibility in this accident. I like to hear what you think.

I'm glad you got out of it Ok, but I don't see any fault with the operator.. Their job is to give you a chance to dive.. YOU and ONLY YOU can determine if you have the proper skill level and physical conditioning to do the dive.. What you consider difficult conditions might be quite acceptable to others..

Also Why the ankle wights.. They are NEVER a good idea even in a drysuit.. Akle weight do nothing excet screw up a persons trim.. If you couldn't stay floating without your rig on sounds as if you were not properly weighted for your thermal protection to begin with...

Also Why the ankle wights.. They are NEVER a good idea even in a drysuit.. Akle weight do nothing excet screw up a persons trim..
I have no idea whether the OP really needed ankle weights to help promote proper horizontal trim. People are built differently. I'm still a little puzzled as to how, when separated from her BC/tank, she became negatively buoyant while wearing a 3mm shorty over a 3mm john with the ankle weights. Assuming that she wasn't wearing a weightbelt or weight harness, I'd think that with 6mm of neoprene over her core, the inherent buoyancy of her exposure suit setup would surmount any negative buoyancy contributed by a pair of reasonably sized ankle weights (1 - 1.5 lbs. each?).

I don't think I would say that ankle weights "are NEVER a good idea even in a drysuit." I've heard people make statements like this just shortly before strapping on their Jetfins with spring straps -- a fin setup that is certainly negatively buoyant and likely comparable to neutrally/positively buoyant fins + ankle weights. Jetfins, Hollis F1s, and Turtlefins are very popular fins for drysuit divers in my locale. All are decidedly negatively buoyant. :idk:

I'm still a little puzzled as to how, when separated from her BC/tank, she became negatively buoyant while wearing a 3mm shorty over a 3mm john with the ankle weights. Assuming that she wasn't wearing a weightbelt or weight harness, I'd think that with 6mm of neoprene over her core, the inherent buoyancy of her exposure suit setup would surmount any negative buoyancy contributed by a pair of reasonably sized ankle weights (1 - 1.5 lbs. each?).

We're all puzzled by that. How is it possible to be negatively buoyant with only exposure protection and a set of ankle weights?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom