Dive and Fly - - -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Deco

Contributor
Reaction score
Issaquah [20 miles east of Seattle], Washington.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello Readers:

This has been written as a response to the Forum on “Shallow Diving and Flying.”

I have spent parts of several days reading the workshop proceedings on diving and flying as well as a recent paper in Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine. My conclusions are the same as the panel who investigated this before – it is a can of worms.

Based on laboratory science, for most recreational dives, only a few hours surface interval is needed. In DAN’s experience, however, DCS problems have occurred despite what lab tests indicate. This is probably for the reasons indicated below. Twelve to 24 hour hours is really what is recommended – still.

The problem, as I can tell it, is that there are a couple of situations that are interconnected. Some colleagues and I looked at this question when I was at NASA since astronauts who trained in a neutral buoyancy pool also went flying afterwards. We did not find a clear pattern.

Chaotic and Non-Linear Processes

Diving is in 99.99% of the cases a “chaotic” event as viewed in terms of physical processes. This means that small variation in the process can result in quite different results. Certainly, we might concede that all divers are different in their decompression characteristics. This can be demonstrated in laboratory tests. Recreational [and technical] divers will not know their “DCS tendency” without some test – or only after every extensive dive experience. [If they “dodge the bullet” often enough, they might guess that they are DCS-resistant divers.]

However, in this case, we are describing differences in degree of musculoskeletal activity [= tissue micronuclei formation]. In tests of dive tables, this is controlled somewhat since all of the test subjects come into the lab, sit for a while, are compressed [or depressurized], perform some planned activity, surface, and sit while the Doppler monitoring period continues.

This “choreographed activity” is not what occurs during real life dive scenarios. There will then be place into the system random variables. The tendency towards micronuclei formation is a large variable. Sometimes small activities [e.g. straining or lifting] can have a large effect on the number of nuclei.

Non Linear System

When the nuclei form, the off gassing is changed in a way that is not predicted by the table developers. There is actually no way to model it since it is dependent on many factors, e.g., geometry of the tissue and bubbles. Systems that continually change with feedback as they proceed are non linear.

Fly After Diving

Now, we add to the problem of ascent [depressurization] the complication that some divers may be harboring bubbles in their tissues. One can see how this now is a second problem to simply determining residual tissue nitrogen. When DCS "hits" are found that occur 10 hours after diving, it is clear that this is most likely a residual bubble problem and not one of residual nitrogen.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I guess what I don't get is that the decrease in pressure from 5m to the surface (0.5 bar) is identical to the decrease in pressure from the surface to ~5500m (0.5 bar) [in absolute terms. 10m to the surface will give the same percentage decrease]. Any aircraft that would be flying at or above 5500m would be "pressurized" to between 2400m and 3000m (~0.75 to ~0.7 bar). All of this is based on the "U.S. Standard Atmosphere" equations below 11Km. Henry's law would seem to indicate that the amount and rate of off-gassing between the surface an 3000m would be less than between 5m and the surface, so **why** is there more concern over the 25% pressure drop when going up in an aircraft vs the 33% pressure drop from the safety stop to the surface?

My incredibly uneducated guess :D :

Because the tables base the no-deompression limits on returning to surface pressure at a know rate of ascent, but then not reducing the pressure any further.

The change from 5m to the surface is already "factored" in to the tables (but if you had exceeded an NDL, surfacing from 5m without decompressing could result in a nasty surprise).

So, while we may sit happy as clams and symptom-free at 1 atm while the residual nitrogen quietly leaves our system, reducing the pressure further , say reducing the pressure by another 25%? It begins (to me) to make sense why the time-to-fly restrictions are there.

Or I might be totally confused :wink:

Best wishes.

Actually, I wasn't looking at the dive tables, but rather was working through some math using Buehlmann's ZH-L16 equations. After a dive to 4 atmospheres (30m), the maximum ascent pressure was 0.54bar which indicated I should be able to fly. This got me wondering why the apparent "disconnect" between the math/physics and the physiology. No big deal, but being a pilot, a soon-to-be certified diver, and an engineer it was too much of a puzzle for me to not ask the question. Thanks for the reply.

Dr. Deco

I think what was being said in the previous thread was that the pressure gradient for a shallow dive could be less than the gradient for the depth where NDL times are indefinitely long and the surface. So just as you do not need to do a 12 hour safety stop (similar to recommended no fly times) on a 30 foot dive there should not be a need to do a 12 hour stop at the surface before flying if the dive is shallow enough. So really the question is how deep you can go before there is a mandatory no fly time. Haldane’s 2:1 ratio suggests that it is 27 fsw, Buhlmann’s ZH16 table suggests that it is 36 fsw or deeper depending on the controlling tissue compartment. But yes those values were determined in warm dry environments which do not fully represent real diving environments and as a result may not be adequately conservative.

Temperature surely does impact perfusion of peripheral tissues and their gas uptake and elimination. And yes the level of physical activity can drive the number of seed bubbles up. That seems to suggest a range of m-values. It seems better to use the DSAT table approach of using a greater depth to capture the range of effects that cold and exertion create. I believe you were involved in the development of the DSAT tables and are likely aware of where the 10 fsw bias for cold dives originated. I would be interested to know if you could offer a similar suggestion for shallow dives.

Is it really fair to say that the whole of decompression is chaotic? Is that what your own studies have shown, have there been no trends? Certainly diffusion happens, and bubble growth does not happen absent a pressure gradient. That suggests that decompression is driven by pressure and not some random unknowable parameter.

Why is it unreasonable to treat the flight after a shallow dive as part of the dive and plan accordingly?

Actually, I wasn't looking at the dive tables, but rather was working through some math using Buehlmann's ZH-L16 equations. After a dive to 4 atmospheres (30m), the maximum ascent pressure was 0.54bar which indicated I should be able to fly. This got me wondering why the apparent "disconnect" between the math/physics and the physiology. No big deal, but being a pilot, a soon-to-be certified diver, and an engineer it was too much of a puzzle for me to not ask the question. Thanks for the reply.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. And more sadly, I don't know the math behind the tables, so I don't have a good answer, other than my crude understanding that the tables and equations are based on a "model" of what is thought to be happening, and over time and many dives the "model" has for the most part been validated (but not always), and in most cases if you adhere to the guidelines of the tables/computer/equations you'll be "ok"... but sometimes not... and that is where the "disconnect" occurs between mathematical theory and physiologic fact.

The time-to-fly recommendations are there for a reason (bent divers). In the time that I have been diving (since 1976) the recommendations (and dive tables) have changed with increasing knowledge.... but the disconnect still exists sometimes.

Best wishes.

Dr. Deco

That suggests that decompression is driven by pressure and not some random unknowable parameter.

Why is it unreasonable to treat the flight after a shallow dive as part of the dive and plan accordingly?

This was what I was trying to get to...that decompression is not required in the absence of a pressure gradient, and that it doesn't really matter what caused the gradient - be it a dive or a flight. Thus, the total pressure gradient should be examined - in this case a dive in conjunction with the maximum ascent pressure that ends up placing the "diver" 10kft in the air!

That being said, I'm not apt to try flying after diving until the experts have weighed in and the dive tables/no-fly limits have been revised!

Right if the units are converted from feet of seawater to atmospheres absolute then Buhlman’s A and B values can be used to calculate maximum allowable tissue tensions (m-values) for an arbitrary altitude. Of course Buhlmann’s work was done in Zurich where ambient pressure is ~10% lower than at sea level so he had to consider the impact of different ambient pressures.

Of course that is a math and physics based argument. If there is experimental evidence that suggests this is not correct I would like to hear about it. So far all I have heard are anecdotal accounts.

It seems to me that the tables I have seen are all fairly similar. It seems unlikely that multiple independent groups would all arrive at the same conclusion for a truly chaotic system. It might be more reasonable to assume that temperature driven perfusion rates and variability in individual physiology drive some spread on the results of a basically deterministic process.

Hello Readers:

Chaos

When I speak of ‘chaos,’ I mean variations in tissue nuclei concentration. There are other factors such as why divers form different concentrations in the first place. There might well be a ‘biochemical question’ but no one investigates this correctly [I believe]. They only look for ‘biochemical effects’ caused by bubbles – and they find little. Barking up the wrong tree!

Nuclei Concentration

This is not readily apparent in diving since decompression tables are based solely on gas uptake and elimination. However, we get DCS because of a grown of micronuclei into decompression bubbles. While we can calculate the tissue gas exchange [theoretically anyway], there are no calculations available to calculate micronuclei concentration.

Nuclei originate mainly from musculoskeletal movement [I believe]. Thus, it is necessary to control, as far as possible, the nuclei concentration in an individual. We do not know how to determine the concentration but, by limiting physical activity, we can put their concentration at its lowest point for that individual.

Tables

Decompression tables are tested with subjects when perform minimal activity for the decompression. Even the PADI tables had minimal activity post dive, since I did not recognize activity as a factor in 1985 – nobody did. Thus, when divers lug equipment – or sleep – between dives, they use the tables in a manner that was not tested.

Dive-Fly Tables

When divers decompress, they form bubbles in the tissue dependent upon gas concentration and nuclei – that have not formed decompression bubbles. The later is dependent, in part, to physical activity. When dive-fly experiments are performed, account is not made of the test subject activity. Real variation arises and tests results are very difficult to interpret unless a large duration of many hours exists between the dive and fly portion. Thus, recommendations are made to put at least eighteen hours between the water and the flight.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Regardless of the number of micronuclei present it is not possible for more than 100% of all the dissolved gas present to transfer into bubbles. We know based on Henry’s law and Boyle’s law that the total volume of dissolved gas available for a 15 fsw dive directly followed by an ascent to 8000 feet above sea level is less than for a 30 fsw dive. Now the later dive has an infinite no stop time on every table out there. Why should a 15 fsw dive have a stop at the surface? No-fly time in plain language is a decompression stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom