Dive bloopers and practical jokes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 20 yrs ago I was a Dive Guide/Boat Captain in the British Virgin Islands. There was a cereal that had little rubber like insect looking things in the box, maybe about 4 different versions and colors.

I would collect these little critters and put 1 or 2 in my BC pocket and go out on our morning dive. I would usually poke around the rocks and crevices looking for critters to show our divers.

I would take one of my little rubber critters out of my BC pocket and reach into a crevice and lo and behold I had a little wiggly critter in my hand. I would take out my regulator and pop the critter in my mouth.:D

Could never get anybody to share in my finds:rofl3:

a_ark_127.jpg

Reminds me of my tanks. Ones says "Help! I'm Lost!" The other says "Which way?" It all goes with my being navigationally challenged.

Embarrassing moments? First was forgetting to switch from snorkel to regulator on a dive & the second was as a dive master for a class, forgetting my weight belt. I swim out to the platform & discover I can't sink:shakehead:. Had to signal instructor, swim back & get it.

My instructor was a salty old retired master gunnery sgt (USMC)...to get us together he would always shout "AW-right Peple...let's ..." and whatever he wanted us to do...this guy had a real command attitude from his service days and it carried over into his instructing - one day we were doing our check out dives at one of the springs - we're all standing around, he gives us his pre-dive spiel, that we'd heard a 100 times about what we should and should not do, etc. we're all rolling our eyes and shuffling around ready to get it done (as newbies we'd all checked everything 10 times already) - he puts his reg in his mouth, swims out a few feet, turns and comes right back stands up and in this little meek very uncharacterisitc voice asks, "would someone please turn my air on..." . We all blew our regulators out....

I was working with an instructor that made his divemasters set up his gear, lump it to the water, and pull on his fins. So, we packed the BC full of hotdogs. My buddy almost drowned laughing so hard as the instructor's fists were flying to beat of the catfish.
The other thing I do which I find to be great fun is grab onto my buddy's manifold. The personal scooter method...at first he couldn't figure out why his SAC rate went up.
-J

The funniest thing I ever saw was this past June. A bunch of the guys I dive with were making a trek to Dutch Springs on a week day. When we got there Pete Nawrocky (Dive Rite's National Field Manager and Optima II rebreather instructor) was teaching an Optima II student. We got to know Pete since he's the LDS' contact, and he's done a few presentations there...anyway.

On our second dive, we're heading along one of the walls, and we pass Pete and his student going in the opposite direction. After a few kick cycles, I turned to make sure I wasn't kicking anything up (and therefore incurring Pete's wrath) and saw that they'd reversed course and were following us. He was swimming along with one of the guys, (and in the rebreather, was stealthy as all heck) and clipped his reel to him (without him knowing) after a few more kicks, he went up to him and wrote on his slate "can I have my reel back?" The guy didn't know WHAT to do when he found the reel clipped off to a d ring!

Proves that those rebreathers are pretty quiet (and that you can play nasty tricks on your dive buddies!)

I was working with an instructor that made his divemasters set up his gear, lump it to the water, and pull on his fins. So, we packed the BC full of hotdogs. My buddy almost drowned laughing so hard as the instructor's fists were flying to beat of the catfish.
-J

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Thats awesome!!!

We were diving off the Jersey Shore on a wreck called the Vizcaya. We had several new divers on the boat and we told them at the outset that some nice artifacts had been found here including some coins from before the 1890's. the instructor who set the hook also took the time to salt the wreck with a pocket full of gold colored tokens from a local arcade. They were so excited and couldn't understand why we were laughing so hard until they read the logo on the token.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom