Dive bloopers and practical jokes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were diving off the Jersey Shore on a wreck called the Vizcaya. We had several new divers on the boat and we told them at the outset that some nice artifacts had been found here including some coins from before the 1890's. the instructor who set the hook also took the time to salt the wreck with a pocket full of gold colored tokens from a local arcade. They were so excited and couldn't understand why we were laughing so hard until they read the logo on the token.

I love it!

:DPart of my job means I have to do casualty simulation for disaster exercises, first aid competitions and classes. I shared on of my tricks with a friend who teaches Rescue Diving.

Take fruit cocktail and mix in arrowroot biscuits until all the liquid is absorbed. Very convincing fake vomit and it doesn't taste bad either. He made some up and hid it in a zip lock bag in his BC. Then his rescuer wasn't paying enough attention he sneaked some into his mouth, made a gurggling sound, "heaved" some out and let some ooze down his face:rofl3: VERY EFFECTIVE:rofl3: For those of you tempted to use this trick I must caution you:no:..... my friend found himself in a bit of trouble when the "Rescuer" let go of him and started "feeding the fish" himself:confused: and needed some calming down:rofl3:

I have pulled a little stunt but I need to find the pictures before I tell THAT story:blinking:

:DAt work when the Manikin faces get torn or the lips split from use we have to replace them seems a waste to just throw them away all the time sooooooo:blinking: on a night dive at one of our favourite spots... I brought one along. My buddy and I attached it to an old piece of heavy metal that is a bit of a landmark at the dive site. We figured it would be interesting to listen and see if anyone commented on it. We attached it.. took some pictures and turned to leave..... there were two divers waiting patiently with cameras ready to take THEIR turn getting pics..:rofl3: Didn't think it would get attention that quickly... unfortunately it disappeared so... I am thinking next time... I will bring an adult, baby and child face and attach them to something heavy in an overhang or hmmmmm maybe burry them so only the face shows........:eyebrow:

Attachments

• DSC04319 (Large).JPG
    DSC04319 (Large).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC04320 (Large).JPG
    DSC04320 (Large).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC04321 (Large).JPG
    DSC04321 (Large).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 86
Seems that all the bloopers I see or are involved in are in the pool.

I was DM for a pool section with one of my favorite instructors doing EBAs. The instructor went to dump weights and drop them on his fins. He just archs is back and looks up and does go anywhere.

Pretty much the same things but this time a different instructor . Doing EBAs again but this time the instructor is using a steel tank and no extra weight. She reachs down to pull weights and there aren't any weights. She does this hand movement like she is throwing weights. I am laughing so hard and the students have now idea was is going on.

Then while I was going thru my DiveCon course I was doing the pool skills. I do the full lecture of "remove and replace" mask. I go underwater and do the skill and never put my regulator in my mouth. I surface and start laughing and the instructor didn't even notice that I forgot to use a regulator.

This is too good a thread to die!

In one of my usual dive sites, there is a tourist submarine. A certain individual I know decided that when the submarine came down to the dive site, he'd pull down his wetsuit and float up, feet first, past the windows in the sub. Didn't know he went commando under his suit!!!

Those of you who get to dive in aquariums (like Atlanta aquarium of Epcot centre), swim to the edge of a viewing window then take your reg out, open your eyes really wide, leave your mouth open, hang your body limp, and "drift" upside down past the viewing pane.

Undoing a diver's drysuit zipper while your dressing him in on the last dive of a job.

Another good trick I've done is put a mannequin made to look like a corpse on the trash rack of a hydroelectric damn for the new guys. Some guys take it in stride and others freak right out... Either way, the responses are always priceless.

My old dive buddy, Fuzz, and I were diving at Sutton Lake one late spring weekend. We were sliding along an underwater rock face and found a rather wide overhang. From under the overhang, I looked out and saw a nightcrawler dangling on a hook just a few inches from the opening. I tapped Fuzz on the shoulder to get his attention, then reached out to take the fishing line above the hook with a thumb and forefinger. I gave it a quick little tug and let it go. The worm jerked up and disappeared.

A couple of seconds later, it was back and I gave it another little tug. Again it disappeared, then came back. I did this a few more times before carefully cutting the hook off the end of the line. I grabbed the line above the sinker and pulled hard. I could feel the fisherman topside pulling on the line as I jerked my end of it around like some monster fish fighting the hook. After a few seconds of this, I suddenly let go. I looked over at Fuzz and I thought he was going to drown from laughing.

Later, when we were out of the water and back in street clothes, we heard a guy telling another man about the huge fish he almost caught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom