Dive Buddy Violence?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you planned the dive so much, how come you didn't take seasickness medicine ahead of time, or abandon doing the dive when you found out the surge was 10ft, preventing a proper safety stop?

The thread title “Dive Buddy Violence” purpose was humor and a more interesting title. The “punch in the nose” was just a comment meant to be silly and in no way meant to be taken seriously. I guess the real purpose was to vent a little and so that some learning could take place (myself included). I certainly could have done better with more detailed dive planning and hanging on to dive buddy during safety stop because of surge and unexpected deco development. Was I the best dive buddy? No. I have areas to improve on but I did call the dive, get this guy to the surface, on the boat and on shore in good health.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Many good points have been made and I can learn from other’s viewpoints.

I learn something on every dive.

Stuff to learn or relearn:

1. Do a shallow, short dive with a new dive buddy and learn his diving skills and habits.
2. Assume nothing.
3. Do a detailed dive plan and get agreement and commitment to dive plan. Include more details than you think you might need. I like GUE divers because of their planning, diving skills and strict adherence to safe diving practices.
4.Plan your dive and dive your plan.
5. If you are seeing behavior that is not cool or dive buddy is not following the dive plan call the dive early.

You never know what a dive will throw at you. It might be your own physical or mental stuff, equipment problems, dive buddy issues, or even the ocean knocking you around. Expect the unexpected. Prepare, plan, and add as much safety margin as possible.

Learning is on going on every dive.

Thanks for your input.

I figured the request for permission to punch was tongue in cheek, thus my response. :)

I like GUE divers because of their planning, diving skills and strict adherence to safe diving practices.

Me, too!

Back
Top Bottom