Dive Caddy vs Racks and Rubber mats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pelican racks have a place to screw them down. I just screwed two strips of carpet covered wood to them and it ellimated the need for a seperate mat.

My problem with the pelican racks that when you are running the boat the tanks can rattle around. Unless you tie them up there is nothing to keep them in the rack except gravity.

I really like my tankcaddy because they have a nice retaining system and it is very light without the tanks. Roll control works great in a lot of applications but just not mine.

Do a search on tank racks on the forum and you will find a few threads that hash over the options for tank racks. I also have a bunch of links for the various rack systems from when I was looking at the options.

Good Luck

Pelican racks are a pain if the BC is on the tank. I like the Roll Control racks.

Your feet get used to Dri-Dek (I even have it in the shower at my house). It's cheapest
direct from Dri-Dek, or from a Veterinarian supply place (they use it in kennels). Google
is your friend.

Well, the beauty of SB is the differing of opinion. I don't like the Roll-Control system, Pelican racks are worthless, and Dri-Deck matting is too rough on bare feet. I understand why people use Roll-Control stuff since it installs pretty easily, but rigging up a built-in, inconspicuous tank managemnt system isn't all that hard to design and install.
My own opinion.
I went to IBEX yesterday with Mambo Dave in Miami Beach and there were a number of deck mat suppliers there.
The one I liked the best was made by Tepromark International and the product was called "Teproflow". This matting comes in 33' rolls or 12"x12" tiles that interlock nicely.
The rolls really got my eye though - they felt great underfoot. There aren't that many colors - the sample pieces of navy blue and medium gray were ok though. This stuff is going into my 30' as soon as I get her back home alongside the house where she belongs.
I'm not sure about their retail distribution, but I wouldn't mind getting a dealership from them. Good stuff.
http://www.tepromark.com/teproflow.html
If you ever win the Powerball and you're looking to get tools - Festool had THE coolest line of stuff.
http://www.festoolusa.com/

hey...they looks like good stuff, Tom. That was what I was searching for. West marine only had the Dri Dek

I also have a bunch of links for the various rack systems from when I was looking at the options.

I would like to see those.

I also decided (well, WC) that all the weight in the stern is not ideal for the cat handling, especially in following seas. Wildcard thinks I need to balance some weight down below, which I did not want to hear. (Its homey down there!)

My friend has two 8-tank caddies on his boat. They work fine but can be tippy when loaded. I caught one that was about to roll over in rolly seas one day. They're light and easy to take off the boat for scrubbing down. There's not enough room between the tanks to accommodate BCs on the tanks, unless you only use every other slot in the rack. We prep our rigs on a bench that we use for gearing up--it's the top of a giant-size ice chest.

I agree with the dri-deck being hard on bare feet. I use the really cheap foam interlocking squares. I think I got my last set for $15 (100 square feet) at Toys-R-Us. I have been having trouble finding it recently.

The other option isn't cheap but very very nice. I don't remember the name but I have seen at the flooring stores. It comes in squares and rolls. I think it was about $75 per yard on the 48" wide roll. I think it was cheaper to buy it off the roll.

Also, I have a 6 tank tankcaddy for my RIB. I use straps on it when I am running due to the rough ride on my boat. I just slack them when we get to where we are going. The unit i got has extenders on the corners for extra stability. These can be spec'd as long as you wish.

Good luck.

Your feet get used to Dri-Dek real quickly. I Dri-Deked one of my bathtubs because my
dogs were getting old and wanted to lay down when I gave them a bath. The Dri-Dek
allowed the water to flow out under the dog. Thats the same tub I shower in every
morning. For about the first two mornings I noticed the the Dri-Dek, but it was way less than
walking barefoot across blacktop on the first hot day of the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom