dive comp on bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a Suunto gekko. I noticed many pple remove the wrist strap entirely, and attach a bungee as a replacement strap. could you folks who do it, please help me understand why it's done (pros and cons) and exactly how it's done? much appreciated, thank you all in advance.

How? deepseasupply.com

Why? It's depth compensating, and unlike the strap, if a bungie breaks (unlikely) the other one will hold it on until you can get out of the water.

Plus its cheap.

It's also a slightly lower profile (for me, this means less chance of getting snagged on things). Really, though, I put my Gekko on a DSS bungee mount because it's easier to put on and take off, and for the added security in case the previous strap broke (it now has two bungee loops securing it in place). I'm very happy with the change.

...and easier to doff/don. Just yank it on, yank it off; no farting about with the strap.

It's a modification I make wherever I can. You've got to inspect the bungee periodically though, for obvious maintenance reasons.

I tried the DSS mount because I liked the idea of just slipping it on, and I can see where it would be really nice for cold water, with heavier suit, and gloves. But for warm water with no gloves and a 1mm suit I found the edges of the mount scratched up my hand when I was putting it on, and the original wrist strap was more comfortable to wear. And of course depth compensation is no advantage in this case.

Hey guys,
I just got the DSS mounting boot for my vyper,
How do you put the computer in it, is there a tip to do it ?
Or are you just using elbow grease ?????
thanks....

Hot water and elobw grease. At first I was *convinced* that it would not fit. Five minutes later, I was wearing it. Once you get the edges in, it's easy. Stretch and push!

Thanks a lot,
I will try that...
Me too, after 3 minutes fighting with it, I said, ok it will never fit.....

The only problem that I can think of is, you cannot check leaks on the back (as said in the manual) and you need to unmount it for battery changes....
I guess, not a huge problem....

thanks again

oh, I forgot that...
How are you securing the bungees (what size of bungee) ?
I am trying to mount it as clean as possible (without knot on the face)
Thanks

Arrange the bungies so that you are making the knots on the bottom. When you do this, you will see there is a little recess there you can push the knot up into. What I did was make the knot, trim the ends, then burn them so they wouldn't come undone. I then tucked all that into the recesses.

Looks very clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom