Dive company recommendation for Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkornfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It has been a few years since we dove Cozumel. Looking for a dive outfit that caters to once a year divers, does not cater to Cruise ships. We would prefer to not dive with outfits scheduling dives around cruise ships. Its me and my 19 year old son. We have been diving for the last 6-7 years. Have dove Cozumel twice, Belize, Honduras, Panama, Tahiti, Red sea..... We have our Advance Certs as well..

We are there 8/14 - thru 8/19.

Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Any hotel recommendations welcomed too.

Vote # 2 for Tres Pelicanos here (and this won't be the last I can assure you). Top quality dive op, small fast boats, dive your own tank/computer, free transport to and from the marina, and schedules that tend to keep the cruise ship crowd diving with other ops. Jeanie at 3P's will handle everything for a dive and stay package. We've been staying at the highly rated Casa Mexicana (others here will rave about this hotel as well) in town for 14 years now and 3P's shop for transport to the marina is right around the corner at the back of the block. The Casa has the best breakfast buffet on the island that opens at 7AM sharp so you get a 30-35 minute breakfast before you walk around the corner to the shop. The Suites Bahia and the Colonial are sister hotels to the Casa and cost less but you'll need to walk to the Casa to enjoy the free breakfast buffet that is included (we prefer to get up and take the elevator down to the buffet instead of staying at a sister hotel and walking over). 3P's negotiated rates with the Casa and sister hotels are the same you'll find scouring the internet looking for deals and certainly cheaper than you'll find offered through the Casa's website trying to go direct. Check out reviews of 3P's, the casa, suites bahia, and colonial on Tripadvisor. You'll be impressed.

Also, if yo uchose the Casa, Jeanie is usually able to request city-view southern facing rooms on the 4th and 5th floors that offer great eater views all the way to the southern cruise ship pier at a discount to the "Delux oceanview rooms" at the casa that cost more and really don't offer better views in my opinion.

May as well start where you'll eventually end up if you dive coz enough... Casa Mexicana and Tres Pelicanos are my votes.

There are many great operators who fit your preferences, and many of them have many fans here who will cheer on their favorites
banana163.gif
- often without providing reasons. The competition is tough so it's hard to go wrong on Coz as long as you avoid cattle boats and cruise ship providers. Compare a few, choose one, and you'll be good.

There are also many good hotels with a wide variety of features. What do you want in a hotel? I've tried several and certainly prefer in or near town, but I don't really want much in one so I go for price more than anything. I'm arriving a few days after y'all, staying at a little one a half block from the square and a block from the channel, big studio room - cheap. Works for me.

It has been a few years since we dove Cozumel. Looking for a dive outfit that caters to once a year divers, does not cater to Cruise ships. We would prefer to not dive with outfits scheduling dives around cruise ships. Its me and my 19 year old son. We have been diving for the last 6-7 years. Have dove Cozumel twice, Belize, Honduras, Panama, Tahiti, Red sea..... We have our Advance Certs as well..

We are there 8/14 - thru 8/19.

Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Any hotel recommendations welcomed too.
I recommend Blue Angel and Blue Angel. Might as well get my cheerleading in early. :D

It has been a few years since we dove Cozumel. Looking for a dive outfit that caters to once a year divers, does not cater to Cruise ships.

I've dived with Living Underwater for many, many years, 2x/week in the winter and I think I've seen two divers from cruise ships. I don't remember much about one of them but the other was an outstanding, technical diver. If you are a once a year diver, your air use probably isn't great so you may appreciate the 120 cf steel tanks.

There are many great operators who fit your preferences, The competition is tough so it's hard to go wrong on Coz as long as you avoid cattle boats and cruise ship providers. Compare a few, choose one, and you'll be good.

Truer words were never written.

Recommend Blue XT Sea. It seems like there are a lot of Tres Pelicanos fans on this board and I'm sure they're a great dive shop, but it's time to offer an alternative.

Agree completely.

Another great shop that doesn't get the press they deserve is Blue Magic.

Talk to Jeanie at dive@trespelicanos.com
There are number of valet dive shops that fit your requirements but I personnelly like Tres Pelicanos. Jeanie can also set up hotels and works with a number of hotels in the area.
As I said there are a number of very good shops on the island, I would consider any of the shops mentioned so far to have very good reputations. A few more who's cheerleaders have been tardy in ringing in would be Dive with Alison and Liquid Blue, plus more. In reality there are a large number of very good shops on the island and they would not have boosters if they did not provide a quality product.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom