Dive company recommendation for Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What??? "Hidden agenda"??? I find that characterization of my posts of my posts extremely offensive.
Just what "hidden agenda" do you believe I have????
Sorry that you're offended, your call, but posting partial rumors can lead to speculations. I'd have no idea what you meant other than to cause confusion.

But, since I don't think they are necessarily dangerous, I don't see any reason to name them in public.
If I wanted to say anything along those lines, I'd probably chose to say that I tried XYZ once and wouldn't want to go back - not dangerous, but I didn't like their practices of whatever. I probably wouldn't say anything about a non-dangerous op as I thought the first 10 mentioned list was just cheerleading echo anyway.

I think anyone accused of operating out of s a hidden agenda would/should be offended....unless they are doing so, which I am not, and do not. Maybe think twice (or several times) before making such allegations.

I didnt try the op in question once, I dove with them for three days because that is what I had negotiated with them. Any op can have a bad day. Three days, not so much.

I didnt try the op in question once, I dove with them for three days because that is what I had negotiated with them. Any op can have a bad day. Three days, not so much.
I had a horrible week with an Op on Ambergris Cay once, and said so in detail her on SB, but I've heard they changed. Traveling to a far off land only to feel trapped by a bad situation sucks I know.

Cbm32, your not-great experience with the dive op illustrates why there's no such thing as the best, or the top 10 best dive ops on the island. Like others, I'm pretty sure which shop you're talking about. There are people that have been diving with that shop for years and have had consistently good experiences. Great even. From your post, what happened and why seems pretty clear. You chose a "big machine" dive op and were staying very close to a cruise ship terminal. You were new to the shop. Don't know how many dives you originally booked, but if it was 3 days, that would be a factor too. When I read your post, I thought, "Of course that's what happened." Given your experience with that shop and your dive experience, I can understand why you decided to go with someone else. I don't know if you talked to the shop about your concerns, but if you had, it's likely they would have been able to accommodate you. On the other hand, I can understand why you'd be happy with Tres Pelicanos and say as much. No hidden agenda there, imo. Just the truth of your experience, which btw, isn't unique, but isn't the only experience that shop can provide.

This last high season, a newer diver from around here made a first trip to Cozumel and stayed at Hotel Cozumel. Once back, the diver posted on social media that "Dive Paradise is the BEST shop on the island!!". Heh. Well, they found something that works for them. Good enough. Sadly, the diver has a shiny new DM card and is proximal to lots of new divers here, and will likely be telling these divers that "Dive Paradise is the BEST shop on the island." His top ten list would have just one shop, Dive Paradise, a big machine that's been around a long time, and does a fine job, I'm sure. BEST shop has a much to do with the diver as it does the shop, imo.

Mediumone and others that liked my post, Thank You. For the record, Deep Blue offers afternoon dives much like most of the other shops on the island. There's a minimum number of divers needed to make a boat. Used to be 4, I think it's 3 now. I've gone out in the afternoon with just a DM and myself, but that was a result of the circumstances. I've been out when it's just myself and two other clients many times.

To the potential Deep Blue cruise ship diver: I can't keep straight which cruise terminal is which, but Deep Blue will tell you how to get to them. You'll probably be asked to take a taxi to either the shop or the caletta. I think the downtown terminal is within pretty easy walking distance of the downtown dock and/or the shop, so they might suggest walking if you want to. (10-15 minute walk?) You'll need a taxi to get to the caletta if that's where they want you to go. There are several factors involved, but you'll likely go to a Palancar site for an 80 foot dive. If nobody on the boat has been yet, it'll likely be Palancar Gardens, which is a beautiful site and a great first dive of a trip. The second dive will be 50-60 feet and which reef depends on the conditions and where others on the boat have been that trip. Because they leave later, they're offset from the other ops, and as a result I've only run into other divers on the reef a handful of times, maybe less. With the other ops I've been with, running into other dive groups happened regularly. I have UW video of about 30 divers all in one spot. We were a group of 6.

Finally, if you're a newish diver or new to the diving there, a private DM isn't a bad thing, and will cost about $50. It's not that the dives are death defying, but it's cheap peace of mind if you're not familiar with the area and the diving. Also, when you talk to the shop, let them know what you want and your comfort level. If they don't know, they can't make it happen. Same advice for any shop you contact.

If you like diving, you'll love Cozumel. Have fun with whomever you choose!!

Andy... Quite frankly, if this will be your first time diving Coz with about 50 dives logged elsewhere, depending on where you've been diving I think coz is going to blow you away. You, like many others who discovered coz diving or snorkeling from a cruise ship will probably decide to return to coz and stay on the island for a dive vaca. Cruise ships do offer the oppty to dive multiple places in the Carribean to see what kind of diving various destinations have to offer.

There is a reason coz has been a dive mecca for decades and it is because the diving is absolutely world class offering a sampling of everything and everything with beautiful, healthy reefs thanks to the constant current that flows south to north always feeding and flushing the reef with fresh water from the Carribean sea. To match or surpass cozumel diving you'll need to travel one heck of alot further and spend one heck of alot more money.

In my opinion, don't let a bunch of us knit picking coz perfectionists make you think you may have anything less than a spectacular experience underwater. I'd prefer to dive with the worst dive op in coz than the best dive op in some other locations I've been (assuming safety practices are the same). I think regardless of which dive op you select and which sites you dive you will have a fantastic dive experience and I bet you will start planning a dedicated dive trip back to coz as soon as you get home!

Last edited:
Yep, it went over a hundred replies.

a private DM isn't a bad thing
It's an excellent idea, that I forgot to mention. Thanks. Money well spent.

DAN dive insurance is essential, too. I presume you have it but if not, get it before your barge sails.

Andy... Quite frankly, if this will be your first time diving Coz with about 50 dives logged elsewhere, depending on where you've been diving I think coz is going to blow you away. You, like many others who discovered coz diving or snorkeling from a cruise ship will probably decide to return to coz and stay on the island for a dive vaca. Cruise ships do offer the oppty to dive multiple places in the Carribean to see what kind of diving various destinations have to offer.

There is a reason coz has been a dive mecca for decades and it is because the diving is absolutely world class offering a sampling of everything and everything with beautiful, healthy reefs thanks to the constant current that flows south to north always feeding and flushing the reef with fresh water from the Carribean sea. To match or surpass cozumel diving you'll need to travel one heck of alot further and spend one heck of alot more money.

In my opinion, don't let a bunch of us knit picking coz perfectionists make you think you may have anything less than a spectacular experience underwater. I'd prefer to dive with the worst dive op in coz than the best dive op in some other locations I've been (assuming safety practices are the same). I think regardless of which dive op you select and which sites you dive you will have a fantastic dive experience and I bet you will start planning a dedicated dive trip back to coz as soon as you get home!

Correct, some of us have very high standards and expectations and will settle for nothing less.

Correct, some of us have very high standards and expectations and will settle for nothing less.
The other side of that coin is that not everyone agrees on what constitutes "high standards". Speaking strictly for myself, the dive is the thing and the quality of the boat ride to and from it, for example, is largely inconsequential. To some folks, the speed of the boat is very important; I like fast boats but I really don't care if the boat I am on isn't the fastest on the island. I am perfectly happy with a SIT on that deserted pier near the south end of the island or on a leisurely cruise to the next site, but to some a SIT at a beach club is essential. I hump my own gear on and off the boat and rinse my own wetsuit, and I am fine with that, but to others it is important for the op to do all that for them.

Some folks gotta have a Ferrari; I am happy driving my Buick. I haven't had a car note since the 1980's. :D

It doesn't mean that my standards are lower, just different. DSFDF.

Last edited:
The other side of that coin is that not everyone agrees on what constitutes "high standards". Speaking strictly for myself, the dive is the thing and the quality of the boat ride to and from it, for example, is largely inconsequential. To some folks, the speed of the boat is very important; I like fast boats but I really don't care if the boat I am on isn't the fastest on the island. I am perfectly happy with a SIT on that deserted pier near the south end of the island or on a leisurely cruise to the next site, but to some a SIT at a beach club is essential.

It doesn't mean that my standards are lower, just different.

You have seemed very defensive in this thread. You don't have to defend your preferences, nor do the rest of us. We all have different requirements and standards. To each, their own.

Once I am aboard, I view the dive Op as a transport vehicle with life protecting pickup. I don't need much in service really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom