Dive Computer...Oh, help...!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto Zoop

Hi all. I've been diving for several years and am preparing to start my advanced diver class. I intend to proceed on thru rescue diver and eventually earn my dive master certification. I'm stoked but poor. I'm an "academic"...a poor professor in other words so money is always a consideration.

My old computer, a relatively inexpensive hose mounted style, is leaking water. In fact, there is water floating in the chamber right now as I look at it. Besides, I need to upgrade anyway.

I've looked high and low and have become overwhelmed at the variety, not to mention cost, of some of the computers.

Do I want a wrist mounted, air integrated....? What? I do dive nitrox.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Doc

G'day, Doc Sparty!

Would be nice to know how much u are about to spend!!!

At this very moment Aeris has air-integrated dive computers like Atmos Ai and A300 Ai, but they will cost you well above 500$ (of course if you are not buying from ebay). As a Dive Master you will definitely need nitrox certification, so I think double mix gas computer at least - is a must for you!

Cressi has very nice new dive computer Leonardo, that can be made in a console with SPG, but it supports only 1 nitrox mix. Cressi Archimede 2 supports 2 nitrox mixes and can be set in console with SPG and it costs about 350$ at LeisurePro.

Mares has not expensive models, but with 1 nitrox mix support. Mares Nemo Wide costs close to 500$, supports up to 3 nitrox mixes, but it's not an air-integrated instrument.

Oceanic has very decent models in consoles, like VEO 1 and VEO 2, but, again they can be used only with 1 nitrox mix, and cost respectively 400$ and 450$ in console versions.

Sherwood Insight in console costs close to 500 bucks, as well Suunto Cobra without compass.

I mentioned here only air-integrated dive computers, as I might think you would want to get similar functionality with your new instrument. And from my personal experience - in your case of limited funds (like myself, sometime ago! :) ) and desire to have air integration - best solution will be Cressi Archimede 2 with SPG. It costs, as I said 345$ or if you want to go for 1 nitrox mix dive computer, but still air-integrated and below 500$ - check out Cressi Leonardo (425$) or Mares Mission Puck 2 computer console for 400$ at LeisurePro - perfect and intuitive stuff!

If you want to dig deeper in dive computers reviews - visit my site, where I' ve been collecting all technical information and reviews about different dive computers for few years already - you will definitely find many useful things!

All the best to you, mate!

Jay

I'm far from an expert, but I like simple, straightforward and bulletproof. I just got my hands on an Oceanic Veo 1.0 a couple months back, and it looks like it should serve my purposes. One button, sure, but it'll get the job done, and it's Nitrox compatible. I just wanted to chime in that Oceanic seems to be in the midst of a changeover between models, and you should be able to get an Oceanic 100, 200, etc. at a pretty healthy discount if that's the direction you want to go. The newer models are numbered 1.0, 2.0, etc.

Started with a Gecko, bought the wife a Zoop. Then found a Viper Air (never wet) for $500 on the classified section...I had a few bucks in my pocket and figured what the heck as my daughter needed a computer and the Gecko would be perfect for her right? :)

Well, after playing with AI I have to admit that it's cool to have. Necessary? No. But definitely fun to have. The log function on the Vyper Air is also very nice with on-board profile graphics, simulator, planner, etc. A worthy investment to be sure at $500-600. Another nice feature is my whole fam is now on the same algorithm.

I dive an Aeris XR1. Easy to use, large numbers, easy to read. Best of all not very expensive. I bought online at scuba toys open box demo for $125. Check out some online dealers for sales and closeout specials.

Air integrated is nice but not necessary. Wrist mount is convenient but will increase cost to get AI. Console v wrist is personal preference.

I bought my daughter a Zoop last year and it is basically a Gecko with Nitrox functions.

Works well, no issues.

Personally I use a Vyper

I'm looking very closely at the Aeris and Oceanic masks with the integrated computers. Tried one on in the LDS yesterday, and it was so easy to read. Does up to 40% nitrox, can show buddy status as well as your own, and the air consumption estimation feature is very nice.

The Aeris is on closeout @ leisurepro for 650, in line with some of the other computers on this thread. I like it from a safety perspective: no excuse not to look at it, and keeps your limbs doing what they are supposed to be doing. Less dangling from your lines as well, just an SPG for backup.

I bought my daughter a Zoop last year and it is basically a Gecko with Nitrox functions.

Works well, no issues.

Personally I use a Vyper

The Gekko HAS nitrox function. It is the same as the Zoop, except that the Zoop can be downloaded without a hack. Both are essentially the same as the standard Vyper except that the Vyper has gauge mode and a backlight. All three are excellent computers.

Just remember that ANYTHING you buy its going to be YOUR life on the line I am a fan of the Cobalt myself its pricey but thats one place I dont go cheap I like layaway its going to take me three months to get mine but it is so far above the Smart Pro I have now and it is my understanding that it can be reprogramed with different or updated software and they are working on a program to include helium which is nice B/C I dont want to have to buy ANOTHER computer next year when I get into helitrox and deco

and they are working on a program to include helium which is nice B/C I dont want to have to buy ANOTHER computer next year when I get into helitrox and deco

You trust a manufacturer to actually come out with a promised helium upgrade?

Why not buy a computer that actually has that capability now?

Back
Top Bottom