Dive freedom == no wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

What say you? Global warming perhaps?

On our recent Caribbean dive trip we finally dove with no wetsuit. First time ever. Wonderful! I AM a slow learner.. Less weight is wonderful.

We were certified a bunch of decades ago in the Great White North and were taught that wetsuits are required. Custom fit. It was just a question of how thick. For many years I dove a 7mm shorty (based on the top part of my first cold water suit) and often wondered why people shivered after the night dive. The water was the same temp as during the day. I never got cold. Ever.

This trip was the second one with new custom fit wetsuits and I was always warm in my new suit. I had switched from a 7mm shorty to a 3mm full suit. It was too hot. She has swapped a worn out crushed out torn up 3mm for a brand new 3mm that trapped air. She had troubles getting the air out of the suit so she could submerge. She hated her new suit...

One dive she said "I am hot, this suit sucks". So she tried without. Awesome dive. We had tested ahead of time to determine how much weight she needed to dump. Next dive I also tossed the wetsuit. Wonderful.

Wait until you accidentally brush against jellyfish & hydroids.
Not really worried too much. I dove for many many years with a shorty. I get a hit about every 30 dives or so. Always on my face...Never on my bare legs or bare arms.

This trip I wet with dive trunks, no shirt or rashguard.

Jellyfish are free floating, hydroids are anchored...

Not really worried too much. I dove for many many years with a shorty. I get a hit about every 30 dives or so. Always on my face...Never on my bare legs or bare arms.

This trip I wet with dive trunks, no shirt or rashguard.

Jellyfish are free floating, hydroids are anchored...

Do you do underwater photography?

Do you do underwater photography?
Yep - and I learned a long time ago to not crash into the reef. So no protection needed.

My current avatar is a bat fish that was found on a flat sandy bottom. Sandy bottoms suck for most photogs as they flap up a storm of sand...

I lied - i just changed my avatar to be a pic of the eye of the batfish. Again no protection required.

In the spirit of worrying about protection, my avatar is now a bristle fireworm...

(Yes I am in a bit of a pissy mood...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom