Dive hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hair is very thick and curly. As some saw last Sunday, put that mix the ocean and something very terrifying come out. You know its bad when you start asking for sicissors :lol: Renee the mango queen sprayed something in my hair, pure magic. Even better than the goo. No clue what was in that little bottle, but it saved me from a self induced haircut.. Maybe she'll share the secret..

baitedstorm:
My hair is very thick and curly. As some saw last Sunday, put that mix the ocean and something very terrifying come out. You know its bad when you start asking for sicissors :lol: Renee the mango queen sprayed something in my hair, pure magic. Even better than the goo. No clue what was in that little bottle, but it saved me from a self induced haircut.. Maybe she'll share the secret..

I've been there! Once, when I didn't have scissors handy, I took my knife out and considered actually cutting it off that way! Glad my BF (now Ex) stepped in! :maniac:

I have dive hair, dive with a pirate do rag, and have no problem with guys, husbands, or boyfriends.

Jrdivagrl-go for the dive hair. We're all different people (AND generations!) Some things older generations value are different than values for our generation. Looking good for a man and fulfilling a female role are part of my mom's generation and for some girly girls. It's not for everyone. I do think the conditioner idea is a good one, so it's less painful to brush later, but my hair hasn't been long enough for that to be a bother in a while. The do rag is helping as my hair grows.

I'm not knocking the older women out there; just pointing out it's not nice to speak down to younger generations and say when you grow up this is how things will be. It's not necessarily.

I had to explain dating to my mom. She was appalled at how men behave (one gave her a booty call). I had to reassure her the rules have just changed and she should not put up with anything she isn't comfortable with. She has the right to choose. Also, that not all men make booty calls.

leigh:
When I had long hair (down to my waist) I always dove with it in pigtail braids. Held up pretty well and then for the rest of the day you just have that cutesy pigtail look. Now that my hair is shorter I can just brush it out post dive--that and I'm a big fan of bandanas.
On a recent dive trip to Catalina, this guy comes up to me and asks if my name was Renee, apparently we went to elementary school together! I so didn't recognize him and my husband commented that he probably recognized me because of the pig tails.
Should have slapped him. :wink:

I have to go with the hat. My hair is half way down my back and looks pretty scary after a dive but a quick brush through and my dive hat work great. And the dive hat I wear with pride. Get a lot of questions from people about being a diver and feels good.

I have long hair too. I just leave it a mess, wear a ball cap. I figure anyone I know I was diving with and they saw the snot coming out of my nose. Hair is the least of my worries!! I do have LOTS of trouble post dive getting it untangled. I think i'm going to try diving in a do-rag. But I'd like to find something a bit more feminine looking. Any suggestions?

And I nearly cut my hair off on my recent trip to Cozumel. It was in a bun that I stupidly made by tying my hair in a knot (it's long enough to do that). My daughter would have lopped it off if she'd had scissors!!!! Have a bottle of conditioner and half an hour later the know came out, then I had to work on the combing!!!

I'd like to try some kind of leave in conditioner to help witht he comb out post dive, but I don't want to have anything in my hair that might damage the environment. I was thinking, and yes this would draw some odd looks, of slipping a condom over my bun to keep the conditioner from rinsing out. Do you think it would work? Or is there something else that would?

Pue

pennypue:
I have long hair too. I just leave it a mess, wear a ball cap. I figure anyone I know I was diving with and they saw the snot coming out of my nose. Hair is the least of my worries!! I do have LOTS of trouble post dive getting it untangled. I think i'm going to try diving in a do-rag. But I'd like to find something a bit more feminine looking. Any suggestions?

And I nearly cut my hair off on my recent trip to Cozumel. It was in a bun that I stupidly made by tying my hair in a knot (it's long enough to do that). My daughter would have lopped it off if she'd had scissors!!!! Have a bottle of conditioner and half an hour later the know came out, then I had to work on the combing!!!

I'd like to try some kind of leave in conditioner to help witht he comb out post dive, but I don't want to have anything in my hair that might damage the environment. I was thinking, and yes this would draw some odd looks, of slipping a condom over my bun to keep the conditioner from rinsing out. Do you think it would work? Or is there something else that would?

Pue

Please, please post the reaction you get to a condom over your bun!

I tie my hair in a knot when I dive, but learned the hard way that you should get it wet first! Never ever ever tie a knot in your dry hair and jump in the water. But you already knew that, didn't you? :)
A condom? What an...interesting idea. I would think it would behave much the same as a rubber band, only worse.

If you don't mind wearing something on your head, a lycra hood really works wonders. It keeps the mask from grabbing it, and it keeps it relatively neat and under control. It's the best thing I have tried, way better than a baseball cap.

I tried a lycra hood this last dive trip. I have a flat back on my head and it slipped off 2 minutes into the dive. So much for that. My hair is mid-back length with layers. I put it in a ponytail to keep as much from my vision as possible. After the dive, I take out the ponytail and turn my head upside down and shake it, then do the flip thing back up again. It helps a little, like "I meant for it to just look wild and messy." I actually don't mind the dive hair though, it is just part of diving. One more thing to take with me after a dive, besides the memory.

After my first few dives, I had seriously considered chopping my hair off short too. Then I decided to try a braid. I would wet it and put some leave in conditioner in it and then braid it good and tight. The braid was good for about 2 dives, and then rinsing in fresh water with a big glob of conditioner and combing it out under the running water seemed to work like a charm. Still had a hard time getting it combed out on the boat without running water, so would just wait til I got back to land to take the braid out, but at least I didn't have to cut it. The lycra hood sounds like a good idea. Not sure I could pull off the condom on a bun thing though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom