Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good eye!

Yes, my 91-year-old dad is ret. U.S. Army (30 years active duty regular Army), and his military sidearm was an M1911A1--so, I know a tiny bit about them (though next to nothing, really, as I wrote above). But it wasn't until this thread have I thought about the differences between the (original) 1911 and the 1911A1. Imagine: A thread on Scubaboard!!

rx7diver
The switch from 1911 to 1911A1 happened six years before your dad was born :)

Original 1911s are pretty much collectors' items at this point. I doubt anyone is carrying one regularly. But it was worth a look as movie studios and prop houses have some oddball old firearms so you can't really assume anything.

This is fun. It's how I got started on the internet, answering questions on rec.guns in the mid-90s.

The Russians have an underwater rifle that fires special ammunition more akin to darts. Much more range:

APS underwater rifle - Wikipedia
There also used to be a speargun made on a similar principle, though it actually used a spear as opposed to a dart. Johnson SMG (SubMarine Gun) was from the '60s. Occasionally, one may pop up for sale, but it's been a while since I've last seen one for sale.

It essentially used a spear pressed into a bullet casing.

Here's one that showed up on Pawn Stars several years ago.

But, the use of firearms for lionfish is primarily a gimmick. There really is no need as they feel they are invincible, so it's not problem to get real close.

As a reformed spearo myself, the lust for a Johnson SMG never fades. I've seen and held the single barrel version, but never the quad barrel, nor the double barrel. That gun is to die for.

There also used to be a speargun made on a similar principle, though it actually used a spear as opposed to a dart. Johnson SMG (SubMarine Gun) was from the '60s. Occasionally, one may pop up for sale, but it's been a while since I've last seen one for sale.

It essentially used a spear pressed into a bullet casing.

Here's one that showed up on Pawn Stars several years ago.

But, the use of firearms for lionfish is primarily a gimmick. There really is no need as they feel they are invincible, so it's not problem to get real close.
Much easier to get a quick follow-up shot. No bolt to retrieve and reload. I would say you could get many more Lionfish in the same window of opportunity.

Much easier to get a quick follow-up shot. No bolt to retrieve and reload. I would say you could get many more Lionfish in the same window of opportunity.
I guess if you are hunting lionfish with a speargun that would be true. But, on most lionfish hunts a speargun is not the weapon of choice.

Personally, I use a less than full size pole spear (3 piece pole spear with only 2 pieces assembled). Nothing to retrieve. Lionfish goes from the end of the spear to the lionfish tube without having to touch the fish. And unlike other fish that will scatter when one gets taken, lionfish don’t seem to care.

Plus, I never have to touch the fish until out of the water. A dead lionfish can still sting.

O
Diving at home I always carry a small folding knife in my pocket, a linecutter mounted on my other pocket and shears on my belt. I guess getting entangled under water is my worst nightmare. When traveling I take my folding knife.
Divers with a huge knife mounted on their leg are compensating for something.
Or maybe don’t want to spend too much. I have a 4.5in blade that I strap to my calf. I wanted a smaller knife BUT this is titanium and I got it for about $40, something ridiculous (it’s now more than double that price I think). The smaller knives that can mount on my SPHydros Pro cost about $100.

I just bought the mounting kit for my BC and will see if I can Jerry rig it for my knife. If not I might just put it in my SP dive shorts pocket with a lanyard, not fancy but could do the trick.

Just a heads up on these Linsen knifes. The guy is selling them again on Fleabay. He's asking five bucks plus 12 for shipping. He made me an offer of 4 dollars. It's a good deal on a BFK.

BTW: Those that claim divers who carry a huge knife are compensating for something, are compensating for their own feelings of inadequacy. It's called "Spring Boarding" or Narcissism. It's mean. After all, nobody is saying anything negative about your little one!

Anyone who is old enough to remember Sea Hunt will know, Russian spies can show up at any time and will go straight for your reg hose. Be safe out there.

I am. I laugh when I see those cute little things
Well yeah sure we all do but that's not the same as saying something about it. Good grief! Be kind. Besides, they're all small compared to mine!!!! BWAHAHAHA.
These are my regular BFK's.
gApGMoM.png

This is my "goin' to the church meetin' RBFK. (That's for Really Big Friggin' Knife)
ITbqk2Z.png

For comparisons:
uok6Piu.png

That's twelve solid inches of saw toothed razor edged Titanium! Yeehaw!

Ok, it's not really my dive knife although per the manufacturer, it would be ok for it. (Strapped to my tanks for an over the shoulder draw maybe?) It's really the bush machete for my off road race car.
0HBAa3n.jpg

Hey Mods. If the photo's are to big, let me know and I'll fix them.

Back
Top Bottom