Dive Log/Record Keeping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys! I'm going to order the USB cable for my Mares Puck Pro and download the Mac Dive App. Thanks for all the help.

Sorry I'm late to the party bc214. I use DiveLogDT on my Mac. Compatible with many dive computers. Was using it before I had a dive computer for the following reason: the companion app Dive Log for the iPhone allows you to record your diving info which can then, through bluetooth, transfer that data to DiveLogDT on your Mac. Now that I have the Cobalt dive computer, I download the dive data to DiveLogDT on my Mac and then transfer it, through bluetooth, to Dive Log on my iPhone.

It has many neat features and comes from moremobilesoftware.com

Jon

I like Dive log manager for my Mac I also have the companion apps on my iphone and iPad; all reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Diverecord.com is a free website you can keep track of your dives if you want to be able to access it online from anywhere in the world you have internet access. I like the concept of a paper log to carry with you, but I have lost or ruined many and gave up on it.

I download the dives off my PDC just so I can see my depth profile and not just max depth and bottom time. I was a prolific dive recorder until I hit 100 and then I stopped caring about the numbers anymore.

There is a reason for wanting both. The time erquirement is so you dont log 50 dives in one afternoon. I believe padi counts a dive as one with min of 20 min submerged. This is probably a valid process as down time / exposuere time is what is needed to learn the things that allow you progress in the system. As for the number of dives requirement. It is an atttempt to force many dives to idealy force you to dive in multiple locations and gain exposure to a variety of environments. so.

A 30 minute night dive is one thing a 30 min day dive in the same locaiton is another. 50 more dives in the same place does not yeild much further experience. Add on to it a boat dive in a mutiple of locations. various fres water and salt water dives ect shows a variety of exposures. I have literally seen a man go from zerp to hero DM with all dives in the same 40' lake area except for 2 dives. I would not trust him to DM a dive n teh ocean to a wreck or such type of dives. Personally i get more insight seeing the dive contents and what you did as a measure of your abilities. Seeing 10 dives to 105' 20 dives to 50 at a local wreck site, photo dives, profiency dives and your progress will tell me much more than a dive number and total bottom time.

I let my Predator log my dives. I download it to my computer and then update all the pertinent information (wetsuit, weighting, issues, etc.) and save it.

If I had to log them on paper, I'd never write them down.

I still have the question as to the justification for keeping a paper dive log.

No dive computer is able to produce a log. They just produce a set of numbers.

A dive log should be a written analysis of the dive. What was planned, what was done, what succeeded, what failed, when, why? Was it fun? What needs to be altered.

The dive profile and the dive time and all the number data are less relevant than the reflection that a pen and an empty page prompt.

No dive computer is able to produce a log. They just produce a set of numbers.

A dive log should be a written analysis of the dive. What was planned, what was done, what succeeded, what failed, when, why? Was it fun? What needs to be altered.

The dive profile and the dive time and all the number data are less relevant than the reflection that a pen and an empty page prompt.

I don't understand this comment at all. No paper notebook is able to produce a log either. Just like a digital log, making a meaningful journal depends on the effort that the diver puts into it.

Why do you need paper and pen to analyze, reflect on, record or muse about your diving experience? I write MUCH more now than I ever did in a paper log book.

In addition to my own analysis and journal entries, I find it helpful to cut and paste online description of certain wrecks - that way, I have all that information right there in my log on my phone, if I revisit a site after many years. Obviously not necessary, but a nice feature.

I am late to the party too. But I use pen and paper mostly. After spending 40 hours a week earning my vacation in front of a computer I rarely take one on vacation and if I do, I transfer the photos/video and turn the damn thing off. Nothing more appealing to me than writing notes, watching the sun set and enjoying a cocktail or 5 on a beachfront table.

The, um, well, lets use the term "classic" nature of pen and paper appeals to me. My log has the usual data points and I do dump the data from my Oceanic into Ocean Log software as a backup to paper. Paper may be forward compatible but it is much easier to lose. Mostly it is a vacation log. In addition to underwater stuff, I write down restaurants, opinions about the dive ops, people I meet, maybe a note or two about where to find stuff on that particular island. Sometimes I even print a photo or add the company or hotel brochure. Just an all around vacation journal.

I have been diving for 21 years and never once has an op asked to see my logbook. Most barely look at c-cards let alone your log book. So do what you want. No one really cares. I will offer that one day you may regret it if you don't do something. "Remember when we took that trip to {enter island here}?" "Not really." After a review of your logbook you just might remember a forgotten detail. Again do what ever make you happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom