Dive Log/Record Keeping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand this comment at all. No paper notebook is able to produce a log either. Just like a digital log, making a meaningful journal depends on the effort that the diver puts into it.

Why do you need paper and pen to analyze, reflect on, record or muse about your diving experience? I write MUCH more now than I ever did in a paper log book.

In addition to my own analysis and journal entries, I find it helpful to cut and paste online description of certain wrecks - that way, I have all that information right there in my log on my phone, if I revisit a site after many years. Obviously not necessary, but a nice feature.

The log could be written in electronic form on a computer. No problem there.

It is important still to reflect and write.

For me, and some other people, paper and pen have a superior accessibility. No boot times, no electricity, usable in daylight... A computer offers many benefits though so this becomes a personal preference.

I do use computer generated data (profile, average depth,...) but downloading it takes one munute while the log writing takes ten or twenty.

ps. "computer" does not sound like holiday. Cutting and pasting paper is relaxing

Subsurface has support for Mac with an added bonus of its low price of $0. Find it here: Subsurface | An open source divelog
The creator of Linux and active diver, Linux Torvalds had a hand in writing Subsurface.
Be sure to read all pertinent readmes before installing. Should be simple on a Mac.
I found it to be very easy to use with very cool graphs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom