Dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where's that? I'd like to know
Please list the locations where you must surrender a signed/stamped logbook as proof of dives.
I wasn't notice that search functionality on this forum and in google works only for me :)
For example.
I contacted a dive club in Spain that I want to go with, they're policy is if you haven't dived in 12 months you need the refresher. So I'll have to take it. They said I could do it there but I'd rather do it here so I don't waste time over there.
Stoker, you can vote with your wallet, but this dive shop have more chance to not be busy with DAN insurance and police investigations. It is pretty difficult to recognize between lazy expirience diver with more than 1000 dives and begginer with less than 100 dives, who would like to "try" after long brake.
Near famoust "Blue Hole" in Egypt you will find dive shops who will reject to give you one tank for "Blue Hole" dive, BUT you will find some who will. Results are known.

Your example doesn't indicate any requirement for a stamped logbook, only that they're requiring at least one dive within the last twelve months before you have to do a refresher. Not six, and nothing about any "master diver" card.

Besides that, my point about recent experience ≠ stamped logbook still stands.

I wasn't notice that search functionality on this forum and in google works only for me :)
For example.

Stoker, you can vote with your wallet, but this dive shop have more chance to not be busy with DAN insurance and police investigations. It is pretty difficult to recognize between lazy expirience diver with more than 1000 dives and begginer with less than 100 dives, who would like to "try" after long brake.
Near famoust "Blue Hole" in Egypt you will find dive shops who will reject to give you one tank for "Blue Hole" dive, BUT you will find some who will. Results are known.

Every customer sheet I have ever filled out with a commercial dive op asks for the date of your last dive. I have never found one yet that asked to see a logbook to prove it. Besides, using a four year old SB thread does nothing to back your claims that you must have a stamped logbook ANYWHERE.

You need to completely re-write the last half of your post because that made NO sense what-so-ever.

Ok, if we started that some dive shop just believes you without asking for dive log, ok, it might be.
I met some which were asking. And 6 months and 12 are variable from shop to shop and from coutry to coutry.
On second part I only tried to say that I believe that refreshment dive is really needed for beginners, because result of long break can be dangerouse. I spend 5 mins at the end of each dive day to write down my daily experience (one page per day for all dives) and stamp if it is available. And it helped me to remember temperature, equipment, weight and decide for next dive.
Sorry if my English was not clear.

Many divers stop logging dives completely.

I was certified in 91' and stopped logging dives in '94... that's 20 years ago now and it hasn't been a problem. YET! Wonder if I should resume...?

Of course all of this stuff has been rehashed before. More than 2/3rds of my dives now are probably logged as Solo Dives. No one's ever checked my book--ever, anywhere. For the _____ course you need ____ logged dives (but we don't define "logged dive" as to signed by who, stamped, buddy or not, etc.). General thought is anything shorter than 20 mins. or shallower than 15' doesn't count. I know that's the standard for PADI OW checkout dives, but I don't know about that for certified divers. A few of my logged dives are gone already because they were to 12' or so. I don't care- I count 'em all. Not pool dives, of course-- on that probably 95% agree.

I've been on a couple of dives where they listed pretty strict requirements for the dives (AOW, 5 dives at 100 feet), but they didn't actually ask to see my log book. They only asked to see my Nitrox card.

That said... I'm glad I have a detailed log book!

Back
Top Bottom