dive logs "why do you keep them"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log mine to remember the dives and the people I dove with, right Walter :wink: Some of my students read through my logbook on surface intervals, it's more like a storybook complete with stickers, pictures and postcards of the places I've been as well as the information about the dives.

PS, I didn't START logging more than time/depth/temp/buddy until dive #52 when I saw a turtle in the lake.
Ber :lilbunny:

Yup, I log my dives for most of the reasons already posted:
1) Gear configurations-sure helps to fine tune the system
2) Remember info about previous dives to same location. Particularly, I log directions, courses (degree headings), and distances from landmarks so that I can explore new parts of even familiar reefs and sites.
3) I have been known to record what my partners have done...I've even "earmarked" a few to indicate whether I really want to dive with them again or not.
4) I've been asked to produce my log. And I am reasonably certain that if I had not been able to produce it the operator may have let me dive, but my dive plan may have been modified for me until he was confident that I knew what I was doing.
In fact, on several scientific expeditions, I had to produce my log before I could even be considered for the crew.
5) Hey, I'm getting older...it's fun to look back at some dives and have my memory jogged about elements I may have forgotten

I do admit that logging dives isn't a chore for me. It takes possibly five minutes (usually less), and I usually don't log the mundane. It's new or interesting items I record in detail. Remember, this is supposed to be FUN!

If there is any chance you will ever want to be a divemaster or an instructor, keep logging dives until you reach at least 100 so that you can prove you meet the PADI experience requirement. (60 for DM, 100 for OWSI)

For the inconsistant diver, you can look back and see how much weight you needed in salt or fresh water. Answer the question, what dive operator did I dive with when I was there 3 years ago?

yeah, thats a tough one to parse.
Skeeter1097:
I have often wonder if divers on a trip brag a long 2 3 of 5 or more log book as to prov they have 20 50 100 dives. It seams to me a print out off my PC from my computer down loads well do the same thing. Pulse having my dive computer with me can give the lase 30 dives.
I would add that I do log all my dives.
I only bring my most recent log on a trip, and maybe an old one if it has info from the last time I was at that place. I'm not worried about proving anything with them and have never in fact been asked for a log. Most places aren't going to ask as anyone could make these up anyway.

I have an upcoming dive charter where the operator insists that we bring our dive logs. That one doesn't sit well with me, I figure they should just tell us "what they need to see" so we can confirm in advance that we have "what they are looking for". I can't imagine the reaction if a diver is refused from the charter at the site.

I've also had to produce my log in order to obtain a 30-day diver permit in Quebec. But, my opinion on that process doesn't belong on this thread!!

For the most part I consider the dive log personal, it's a reference for me of past dives. For agencies needing details for training purposes, I'll transcribe just the data they need.

I just wish I had logged my dives from my first dive, summer of 1967. I just found a bunch of slides I took during that diving period and with a logbook, I'd have a much better chance of knowing the circumstances of the pics.

This time around I use the log to add narrative to the pictures once I get around to putting them onto the web.

Oh, and I am using my log to help me fine tune my weight and balance.

Peter Guy:
Oh, and I am using my log to help me fine tune my weight and balance.
How clever ... I always wondered how you managed to look so fit and trim ... I've sometimes used mine as a step-stool, but I never thought to use it for weight management ... :browsmile

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, watching Peter sit and do his log lifts has been quite amusing . . . :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom