Dive Mentors and gaining experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i try to make myself available as mentor/buddy as often as possible!!!
new students or old freinds
most times we learn a little something from each other
a lot of times i get to see things through their fresh eyes and just enjoy diving for the sake of it
...i do,however,try and reinforce safety and responsibility for themselves
have fun
yaeg

I did alot of my upfront dives on dive charters and with dive groups where I was partnered with more experienced divers. What I did was bought the books that had the information in it such as peak performance buoyancy and then started working with what I read. What I got was the same experience plus saved over 100 dollars for it. And now I pay it forward by diving with newer divers more then I do experienced. I find new divers are more into the sport then older divers who seem to think that they are Gods of the seas.

I have been mentored by 3 different kinds of divers both here on the board & in the water & am thankful for the opportunity to learn form them: 1. Those divers with greater skill & experience than I have- They've "been there, done that" & pass their knowledge on to me. 2. Those divers with the same or similar skills as I have- We both learn from each other in an equal way. 3. Those divers who are newer. By working with these divers I remember the wonder, thrill & excitement of being a newbie. It has also awaken a greater sense of awareness & care for these divers, in me. I try to never forget where I have come from & the lessons I have learned along the way. I believe all 3 types of divers have made me the diver I am today. Thank you to all divers who've helped me along the way & will do so in the future!:D

Greetings Elena and you always come up with great threads!
I have been richly blessed with Mentors the first and most important being MSDT Mark, Mark MIner of Hamilton IN.
He instilled in me the desire and passion to train hard and become the best diver I could.
He went out of his way, at great sacrifice and expense to encourage me and keep me focused.
While training, diving, or just sharing dinner and beverages he was always spurring me on.
My dive planing began with Mark and my desire to learn everyday something new and skill mastery rests with him as well.

I joined SB and it became obvious that there were members who were on-line mentors.
One of the greatest I have come to know is Lynne, TSandM she is the real deal people!
She has answered threads, PM's and posted so many great things.
I quickly learned that she struggled with training as well but she persevered through the tough stuff to come out the other side a humble successful diver. She gave me the hope I needed to challenge myself to further my dive goals beyond my wildest imagination.
Thank you for your encouragement.

I met a wild eyed diver in 2007 who was more like a fish than a man!
Matt Wetzel was the definition of a natural diver if there ever was one.
He had doubles before we all did, he was cave certified before we all were, he was learning diving technique faster than anyone and became a great friend.
Countless dives years past and still he remains a incredible diver who now instructs.
He is a SM tech who has tried just about every trick in the book and loves to teach about it.

When DMing for MSDT Mark I had the pleasure of meeting two fire fighters these were Mike Brown and Ryan Smith both of these men were very motivated individuals who shared a passion for diving.
I could see in them the makings of incredible divers and what they have done and become blows my mind!
A better buddy you would never want! They train hard and keep you on your toes just the way it should be!
Both are in public service and have taught me much about helping others.
Mike is a EMT, vol. deputy, and full time firefighter.
Ryan is a public safety diver for FWFD and full time fire fighter.
Diving for me is what these two represent it is a gift that you help to open and they take and run with it.
They decide how far, how deep, how serious to become.
These are the best of best in students who teach those assisting as more than they will ever know!

Dale Musser of Teledo OH.
Tom Johnson of Dayo Scuba Orlando FL
Tim Stahle of Kokomo IN
All instructors that continue to shape my dive goals and training.

Diving has brought to me friends from across the country and many are like brothers and sisters who I consider to be a part of the inner circle.
I can not imagine what my life would be without even one of them, truly blessed I am!
Thank you God for allowing me to know these people!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Learning....Keep Learning!

When I first started (1961), we had only one tank and reg between those of us who dove and we were all uncertified newbies. Who knew one should get certified in the days when NAUI was in its infancy and years before PADI existed? If I had lived then in California, I would have learned that but I was in the Midwest. The only instruction we were given, by an older member of the high school swim team was "don't hold your breath." That was it for the next 8 years until I had to get certified when I moved to Catalina.

Because of the fact most of my dives are working ones, and I prefer to dive solo so I can focus on that (and so no one can actually observe my lack of skills), I rarely have buddies other than my well established ones (including my son) or any drop dead gorgeous lady diver who dares to approach me.

As far as paying it forward, I try not to in terms of actual diving "skills." I wouldn't want to see a bunch of Dr. Bill imitators flailing away in the dive park. I do my part by sharing my knowledge of the marine life that we all see down under.

I will have to give props to Herman on this board for helping out my newbie family as well as myself!

I've had some wonderful mentors over the years ... and done my best to be a mentor whenever I can.

When I first started diving, finding dive buddies was the hardest thing. I joined a dive club, but they always seemed to be planning dives that were "beyond my experience level". After a month of doing easy dives at the training site with someone from my OW class, I finally met a guy who said he'd be happy to take me diving. Randy was an old-timer ... at the time something over 8000 dives under his belt ... and was completely unabashed about answering my questions and helping me improve my diving skills. He showed me things and explained a bunch of topics that were never covered in my class ... and I experienced any number of "AHAH" moments under his tutelage.

About a year after I started diving I joined ScubaBoard ... thanks to this fellow I'd met a couple weeks earlier on a dive trip to British Columbia. His screen name was Uncle Pug. Over the next three or four years, that guy taught me more about diving than I ever realized there was to learn. The most important lessons didn't involve skills so much as just how to THINK about my dives ... although there was plenty of skills work too. It was Uncle Pug who took me on my first doubles dive ... who patiently helped me regain my self-confidence after a thorough reality check my first time through Fundies, and who ultimately taught me how to do a back kick. If I had to choose one person who's had the most influence on me as a diver, Uncle Pug would be that person hands-down.

Fast-forward a couple years. By now I've become a diving instructor, but still actively mentoring newer divers either through my dive club's Big Buddy program or simply through chance meetings with someone who looks like they could use a helping hand. I started noticing this one local diver who had become active on ScubaBoard, and whose posts got me thinking that I would really like to meet this person and dive with her. We arranged to meet through one of our Big Buddy dives and go dive together. Her enthusiasm was positively infectious ... and her skills were just awful. We spent some time working on that ... and she improved rapidly, although it was constant effort to keep her from beating herself up with an incessent need for perfection. Then one day I mentioned that I thought she'd really enjoy the DIR approach to diving ... and so the Borg Queen was born.

She's off diving in the Red Sea this week, and probably won't even see this thread until she gets back. So I'll do a bit of promotion by saying that I've never known anyone who puts more effort into "paying it forward" by mentoring new divers than Lynne does ... or who gets more enjoyment out of helping someone go from a struggling newbie to a competent, self-confident diver. I see her as kind've the third generation of our mentoring family ... Uncle Pug -> me -> TSandM ... and I know that people she's helped are out there cheerfully passing what she helped them learn on to other new divers. That's how it's supposed to work.

Mentors are, in many ways, as important to diving development as a competent dive instructor. Classes are structured, and in many ways present skills and information in a limited environment. Mentors operate in the real world ... in a context where there are no time or curriculum constraints. They serve as a bridge between knowledge and understanding.

A good mentor is worth their weight in gold ... and those who are lucky enough to find one can shorten their learning curve considerably ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob made an important point that I overlooked. Even though I had been diving over 40 years before I joined SB, I have learned much (mostly specific details, but important ones) from other members on this board. Who says you can't teach an old trick a new dog!

My dive mentors have mainly been my instructor (his take on this is "I teach scuba so I can have new dive buddies") and other "friends of the shop". As we have become experienced divers, my wife and I worked our way up to DiveCon/Ass't instructor status-if I ever have the energy to finish, I'm an instructor in training-and we have taken many of our ex-students and dive acquaintances out diving on our boat. We host experienced and less experienced divers regularly and learn and pass on learning from and to our dive buddies.
The best way to become a better diver is to get the critical formal instruction early (OW, AOW, deep diving, stress and rescue, Dan 02, boat diving, nitrox....) and then dive regularly with lots of good divers and learn from them as well.

i was lucky enough to stumble upon *excellent* mentors - through this board. huge thanks to bobby f and jason b!

i'm not as able to pass it forward right now. i'm not diving locally as much with jameson to care for, and on trips i'm a bit too focused on my own dives. but it *is* in the vision of my future.

thank you to those of you who spend time with those less experienced than yourselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom