Dive Mishap off of Hawaii Kai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note to self: Don't pick Spitting Caves as the location for my first shore dive on my upcoming trip.

It is a bit of a tricky spot unless you are local, IMO. We get a backwash and some wraparound currents there because it is a lava wall. Really, I am not too enthused about recommending any of our shore dives on Oahu, except Shark's cove and Three tables on the North Shore in the summer. the reason is our currents, and the little issue of getting back to shore.

Electric Beach is decent (we have never had problems with our vehicles there), Pray for Sex was a boring dive for me, the Trench is always a good last resort. I have seen a Manta and Monk Seal at the Trench so I will always give it another shot. Spitting Caves (Portlock) is an awesome boat dive.

Catherine, when are you going back out on Joey or Alex's boat?

justleesa:
hmmm....25 y.o. instructor....I wonder.....

Melissa, are you feeling better? Feeling up to a group dive on the 27th?

Where are you going out of and what time? I have a dental cleaning at 1:30 (Brittney and I both have a cleaning at that time). Don't know if I can fit in my wetsuit, but I can try.

It is a bit of a tricky spot unless you are local, IMO. We get a backwash and some wraparound currents there because it is a lava wall. Really, I am not too enthused about recommending any of our shore dives on Oahu

So what do you do when you judge doing a shore dive or not? Or do you just stick to the boats?

www.scubamazing.com:
So what do you do when you judge doing a shore dive or not? Or do you just stick to the boats?
There are LOTS of things to consider when shore diving here in Hawaii. Whenever possible, hire a local guide. They should be able to read the water conditions and keep you safe. I don't know what happened in this instance but it's definitely easier, safer and more fun if you leave the "heavy" planning up to the Pro's and just worry about blowing bubbles and looking at fish. I'm sure we'll hear more about this one dive and hopefully the mistakes that were made won't happen again.

I'm sorry to hear about the lost Navy swimmer. Sometimes I think people must forget to respect mother nature and her ocean. When they do, they often suffer serious consequences. There's been too much of that lately!

I plan to try Electric beach. Hopefully our rented SUV won't disappear and leave us stranded :)

scubamickey:
I plan to try Electric beach. Hopefully our rented SUV won't disappear and leave us stranded :)

don't leave any valuables in your rental. Bring only your dive gear and towels. Take your id cards and cash with you diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom