Dive operator age limits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started this thread based on a letter from a DAN member in the first quarter 2024 issue of Alert Diver quoting an actual occurrence. A number of commenters here have confirmed their own experiences. So i assume, maybe incorrectly, that its happening. Im 68 and have just gotten back into diving after a 25 year hiatus. Just trying to identify what i may be up against so i can plan accordingly.

I started this thread based on a letter from a DAN member in the first quarter 2024 issue of Alert Diver quoting an actual occurrence.
The letter in Alert Dive (p.12) did not quote an "actual occurrence." it said, "I've read in several publications and ehard from some dive friends that more diver operations are not allowing certified divers over age 70 do dive...." This is hearsay, and pretty much useless information.
A number of commenters here have confirmed their own experiences.
More innuendo, actually. No names of dive operations or even specific locations have been provided. No disrespect intended to agilis, who says he has been rejected for his age, but that is not really helpful information to anyone else.
So i assume, maybe incorrectly, that its happening.
Right, you are making an assumption.
I assume it is NOT happening, and would like some hard evidence to the contrary.

I would VERY MUCH like to avoid any diver operations exhibiting such agism, as would others. But we can't do it based on "I heard" and "I read" and "I'm not telling."

At least on my boat, age discrimination is a stretch, but I can see why some would think that. My insurance requires a liability and a medical waiver to be filled out prior to a customer boarding the boat. If there are any yes answers on the medical form, I need a signed RSTC form.
Most divers in their 70s can't honestly answer all nos on the medical form. If they can, that is great and they don't need anything extra. But most are on prescription drugs of some kind at that age and if answered honestly they would need a signoff. It isn't really age discrimination as everybody has the same requirement, it is just older divers fall into that category more often.
The online waiver is sent to them months in advance of their trips with a general warning that it is long and needs filled out prior to the trip. Most do it and we have no issues. Some ignore it and aren't happy when they can't get on the boat.

At least on my boat, age discrimination is a stretch, but I can see why some would think that. My insurance requires a liability and a medical waiver to be filled out prior to a customer boarding the boat. If there are any yes answers on the medical form, I need a signed RSTC form.
Most divers in their 70s can't honestly answer all nos on the medical form. If they can, that is great and they don't need anything extra. But most are on prescription drugs of some kind at that age and if answered honestly they would need a signoff. It isn't really age discrimination as everybody has the same requirement, it is just older divers fall into that category more often.
The online waiver is sent to them months in advance of their trips with a general warning that it is long and needs filled out prior to the trip. Most do it and we have no issues. Some ignore it and aren't happy when they can't get on the boat.
I have no issues with this. Requiring the waiver is fine, signed if need be. Sending it in advance is perfect.
No sympathy for those who ignore it. Some in this thread would probably ignore it. They lose.

Just received first quarter issue of Alert Diver and there was a letter to the editor about some dive operators refusing to allow divers over 70 years of age on their boat! Is this something new, anybody else heard about this kind of thing?
Im very sorry to hear that, shouldnt be that way!
and to be honest never heard it before until now

There are two issues here. 1. Dive operators requiring fully completed “clean” RSTC forms AND a physicians sign off for those over age 45 which i dont have a problem with, and 2. Dive operators that ban divers over 70 regardless of having properly completed RSTC forms and no notice of that until you show up at the dock, which i do have an issue with. But as has been noted on these forums, their boat, there rules. I guess the answer is to make the inquiry beforehand and get confirmation in writing if at all possible. Apparently issue 2 is a relatively rare occurrence thankfully.

There are two issues here. 1. Dive operators requiring fully completed “clean” RSTC forms AND a physicians sign off for those over age 45 which i dont have a problem with, and 2. Dive operators that ban divers over 70 regardless of having properly completed RSTC forms and no notice of that until you show up at the dock, which i do have an issue with. But as has been noted on these forums, their boat, there rules. I guess the answer is to make the inquiry beforehand and get confirmation in writing if at all possible. Apparently issue 2 is a relatively rare occurrence thankfully.
The RSTC form you mention in (1) does not require a physician's signoff if you are over 45. It requires the release if you are over 45 AND have one of 4 other conditions (including smoking). Age alone does not require the signature.

Has anyone addressed the elephant in the room? If an individual is cognitively impaired they shouldn't be diving, flying a plane, driving a vehicle, holding a political office, etc. To be clear, I hope to still be actively diving well into my eighties, however, if I am mentally or physically compromised to the point I am placing myself or others at risk, hopefully someone will intervene.

The following is why we always head in the opposite direction from the group thus avoiding the pending sh!tshow. There have been two older individuals on separate liveaboards that truly had no business diving (in my opinion). The first one was an 80 plus year old man plummeting rapidly into the abyss with no bottom in sight. Fortunately another diver, other than his buddy, went after him well past 100 feet and most certainly saved his life. Turns out he was firmly hammering the DELFATE button instead of the inflate on his BCD. This incident happened at the beginning of a warm water dive, so disregarding the fact this guy was physically incapable of swimming up his rig without inflating his BCD, he was clueless. The second was an overweight woman unable to gear up for any of her dives without a lot of assistance from the crew. This was due to what I assume were serious mobility issues. However, this didn't prevent her from drinking excessively and passing out while struggling to breathe in the evenings. When we disembarked for an encore she did a massive face plant after tripping over an obvious dock line stretched across the smooth planks of the dock. There was no reaction or attempt to catch herself. I couldn't believe what I was looking at.

So, should there be an arbitrary age for disqualification? Absolutely not, however, divers should meet certain criteria. Unfortunately it not as easy to enforce and police diver competency as it is behavior on ScubaBoard. :wink:

The RSTC form you mention in (1) does not require a physician's signoff if you are over 45. It requires the release if you are over 45 AND have one of 4 other conditions (including smoking). Age alone does not require the signature.
I stand corrected. But if someone over the age of 70 (the age that started this discussion) and isn’t at least on prescription medicine they are truly unique. A freak of nature.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom