Dive operator age limits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least on my boat, age discrimination is a stretch, but I can see why some would think that. My insurance requires a liability and a medical waiver to be filled out prior to a customer boarding the boat. If there are any yes answers on the medical form, I need a signed RSTC form.
Most divers in their 70s can't honestly answer all nos on the medical form. If they can, that is great and they don't need anything extra. But most are on prescription drugs of some kind at that age and if answered honestly they would need a signoff. It isn't really age discrimination as everybody has the same requirement, it is just older divers fall into that category more often.
The online waiver is sent to them months in advance of their trips with a general warning that it is long and needs filled out prior to the trip. Most do it and we have no issues. Some ignore it and aren't happy when they can't get on the boat.
I have been diving actively since 1997 and recently turned 70. Outside of formal training, I have never had to supply a RSTC medical examiner evaluation form. I have dived in a reasonably diverse array of locations, both land-based and liveaboard. I do have screening positives that require physician sign off.

I wonder how common it is for operators to require a signed RSTC form.

The letter in Alert Dive (p.12) did not quote an "actual occurrence." it said, "I've read in several publications and ehard from some dive friends that more diver operations are not allowing certified divers over age 70 do dive...." This is hearsay, and pretty much useless information.

More innuendo, actually. No names of dive operations or even specific locations have been provided. No disrespect intended to agilis, who says he has been rejected for his age, but that is not really helpful information to anyone else.

Right, you are making an assumption.
I assume it is NOT happening, and would like some hard evidence to the contrary.

I would VERY MUCH like to avoid any diver operations exhibiting such agism, as would others. But we can't do it based on "I heard" and "I read" and "I'm not telling."
Perhaps my mistake was calling ahead and asking if there was a problem with me being over 80. At 70 I generally had no problems.

I have been diving actively since 1997 and recently turned 70. Outside of formal training, I have never had to supply a RSTC medical examiner evaluation form. I have dived in a reasonably diverse array of locations, both land-based and liveaboard. I do have screening positives that require physician sign off.

I wonder how common it is for operators to require a signed RSTC form.
I just had to supply one at Sandals in the Bahamas. Im pretty sure its a requirement at all their resorts.

I stand corrected. But if someone over the age of 70 (the age that started this discussion) and isn’t at least on prescription medicine they are truly unique. A freak of nature.
Being on a prescription med does require a signature, but that is true no matter what age you are.
The issue is the prescription med....not one's age.
I understand your point that we older folks probably are on Rx meds....but want to make sure the meds and age issues are not confused.

I'd be curious as to what percentage of divers have ever been less than truthful on any medical or liability form in order to continue with a dive or training op.

On a positive note, I got my cert at age 62. I am now 64 and have had regrets that I didn’t do it earlier. You old fossils have inspired me to believe that if I do my part to stay in shape, I have many more years to go. So thank you for that!!

I'd be curious as to what percentage of divers have ever been less than truthful on any medical or liability form in order to continue with a dive or training op.
Run a poll!

Run a poll!
I would......... but I'd have no idea how to go about that!

The RSTC form you mention in (1) does not require a physician's signoff if you are over 45. It requires the release if you are over 45 AND have one of 4 other conditions (including smoking). Age alone does not require the signature.

Is the form in America different from those in Europe?
Here, you are required to.provide a medical if you check just 1 box with yes.
There is always the question if you are over 45 years old and in that case you need a medical.

A doctor will never state that you are qualified because he cannot judge that. All he attests is that there is no apparent reason for disqualification. That is, by the way,, the same in all such medical statements

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom