Dive ops: pimping vs legitimate info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how about a different approach - I will admit that I am a somewhat 1 DiveOp on Cozumel yearly since 2005 - Heading there on Saturday as a matter of fact.
Huh? :confused:
What about a sticky - Christi? - that does a compare/contrast of the DiveOps on Cozumel and let the customers add comments/ dive reports? It doesn't necessarily have to be advertising by the various shops but allows us all to highlight the perennial favorites and why they are.
A sticky would be difficult to keep current, but if someone tried to draft one, asking a local Operator to do it would be inappropriate I think. A simple list of the Ops, contact info, location, and web site might be nice if even that could be kept current...?

We post trip reports and discuss trip plans often. Most Ops are easy to search for comments here. Maybe not Del Mar, but most. I don't support an appraisal thread at all, altho I do appreciate your comments.

Back to the original question: Let's stop "Best/favorite Op" threads, please. Next time I see someone post an answer to one of those, I think I'll ask these questions....
Of the original poster: "Would you prefer valet services at premium rates or no frills boat with cheap rates, and - what else is important to you?"

Of anyone who replies that So-and-so is best: "Have you dived with any other Ops there? How many...?

What I had thought about the sticky was perhaps splitting Christi's general sticky into one that specifically deals with the question of "best dive op" (since it seems to appear regularly) and maybe expanding upon it. I'd be willing to take a crack at it if mods are interested and/or if Christi isn't. I think a more fulsome answer is useful than what's in Christi's general sticky and given the topic, better answered by someone who isn't an op. (No criticism intended Christi - am sure you get what I'm saying)

What I had thought about the sticky was perhaps splitting Christi's general sticky into one that specifically deals with the question of "best dive op" (since it seems to appear regularly) and maybe expanding upon it. I'd be willing to take a crack at it if mods are interested and/or if Christi isn't. I think a more fulsome answer is useful than what's in Christi's general sticky and given the topic, better answered by someone who isn't an op. (No criticism intended Christi - am sure you get what I'm saying)

I do get what you're saying Marg and am not offended at all. There was actually a lot more information I had originally wanted to include in that sticky way back when it was posted - but I was limited by "max characters." :) In fact, that sticky needs to be updated in more ways than one as far as local info in general goes.

No wonder so many lurk and dont post, for fear from the post police. Why not take a happy pill and let people post whatever they want. No wonder so many left here and went to Scubatoysforum.

No wonder so many lurk and dont post, for fear from the post police. Why not take a happy pill and let people post whatever they want. No wonder so many left here and went to Scubatoysforum.

:confused:

I'll make it planer Don. I was sitting at the La Hach with quite a few people tonight. Most view the board. Several people commented why the dont post. Several made comments about the 'click on the Cozumel forum' and the fear of posting from their remarks and slams. Now they all said they got a lot of good viewpoints from the forum but will not even post a review because of posts like this one. They are afraid to cheerlead their op. Or go kidlike in their review. I was diving with a guy tonight on our nightdive. After listening to him rave about the dive I said he should post it on Scubaboard. He said not a chance. To scary there, I may say the wrong thing. That amazes me that people on this board wield that power over people that they will only lurk or ask one question and run. As a girl put it tonight. She told me a tale that involves one of the posters on this thread, she is really worried about posting. I cant imagine that. I read all the other tour sites and the Cozumel forum by far is the most militant. I read a note in this thread about being too cheerleading in explaining their love for an op. One woman said she choose her op because of all the cheerleading. And no it's not the one I dive. I know the op and she picked a good one. Like I write, after my cheerleading, put all the names of the dive ops from Coz on a dart board and hit one, it's likely gonna do a good job. Even for the super picky. But gotta admit people with bad backs like bigger boats.

Let's see, some people are afraid :eek: of using a faceless alias to post their thots? :popcorn:
...people with bad backs like bigger boats.
Oh really? Never knew that. Thanks.

Ok, we do want to keep SB a friendly place for the meek & shy even. But catering to Buffy's Pom Pom squad fails me, sorry.

I was diving with a guy tonight on our nightdive. After listening to him rave about the dive I said he should post it on Scubaboard. He said not a chance. To[o] scary there, I may say the wrong thing.

Sounds like a case of thin-skin-itis to me. It's the internet. Get used to it, because it isn't going anywhere.

If you really want to get roasted, try posting a whiny complaint which suggests you are a new diver and a dive op didn't meet your high expectations. Then the merciless criticism starts.

Sounds like a case of thin-skin-itis to me. It's the internet. Get used to it, because it isn't going anywhere.

If you really want to get roasted, try posting a whiny complaint which suggests you are a new diver and a dive op didn't meet your high expectations. Then the merciless criticism starts.

Not sure why you put the brackets around the o in too. Would you explain that please?

As far a 'thin skin' maybe your right about that. Does that give the forum police carte blanche on flaming anyone they want? I got flame for doing 200fsw the other day. They same guy flamed a woman for doing 167fsw. Who does he think he is? And your last remark is exactly what I'm writing about. You get wacked if your a new diver and you absolutely love them. Internet phycologists here call it 'falling in love with your counselor' lust. I have a vision right now of some here that cant wait to get up to get to their pc and open up Scubaboard so they can have a 'life' and 'be all that and a bag of chips' in their little room all alone at home.

Not sure why you put the brackets around the o in too. Would you explain that please?
I think you may have a glitch to discuss in Support. This is what I see. Screen shot of his post...

-----------------------------------------------​
As far a 'thin skin' maybe your right about that. Does that give the forum police carte blanche on flaming anyone they want? I got flame for doing 200fsw the other day. They same guy flamed a woman for doing 167fsw. Who does he think he is? And your last remark is exactly what I'm writing about. You get wacked if your a new diver and you absolutely love them. Internet phycologists here call it 'falling in love with your counselor' lust. I have a vision right now of some here that cant wait to get up to get to their pc and open up Scubaboard so they can have a 'life' and 'be all that and a bag of chips' in their little room all alone at home.
Any "flaming" should be reported. That's why the Report button exists, but exceeding safe diving practices invites criticism. If you don't want to disucss it, don't mention it.

I'm sorry, what was the subject again...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom