Dive ops: pimping vs legitimate info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. I don't think of myself as a troll, but I don't mind making the odd pretty sarcastic comment (see below).

But on the whole I find SB more (civilised) than a great many other forums.

Just my 2 psi.

Does your spelling make you smarter than a 5th grader? Check brackets. Touche wiseone!

In life there are always those who choose to criticize others for doing anything that they themselves would not do. That is life and it exists on the internet just as it does in your workplace. If you are incapable of defending yourself on a screen at your own desk, then it is best not to post to a bunch of strangers about your experiences. With that said, those who choose to ride someone else for what they believe is or is not safe, had better have more knowledge in their head than was put there by some instructor fresh off his training...or they face criticism themselves. Remember, instructors pass on rules that are there in order to keep an inexperienced diver safe..it is EXPECTED that the experienced diver will learn more as they go and apply that knowledge themselves. Rules in these sports, be it diving, skydiving, flying, mountain climbing etc etc etc are there to keep the new guy safe....and then reconsidered when he/she has the knowledge to do so for themselves.

Those who take the beginners handbook as the word of god are welcome to do so, until they preach to someone else about their overwhelming knowledge...based entirely on a handbook handed them when they had never breathed from a tank before. At which point someone is bound to tell them to worry about their own safety and leave others alone. The rules are there to keep the least skilled safe...once one is capable of deciding his/her own skill level...he is also capable of accepting his own risk level and only a fool dares openly judge at that point.

All in my humble opinion of course

I like what your implications mean.

Not sure Marg was wanting any results out of this post other than just a discussion. Since Christi is taking the lead with the existing sticky I'd like to make a motion for another sticky that will allow divers to rate/review Cozumel dive operators similar to what I mentioned above with the conditions report for Texas dive sites. Below I've outlined a template the each reviewer would cut a past into their post with their responses. I like the idea of a rating system of different categories that will sum to give the op an overall rating. Please, if you think there should be something added or omitted, I'm open for suggestions. I think questions posed will provide information about the op that is not readily available on their website and it'll give some relevancy about the reviewer and their experiences. The important thing about it is that the template is used and completed with each review without any excessive verbiage or rambling.

Cozumel Dive Operator Review
Dive Operator Used:
Hotel where you stayed:
Dates:
Type of Operator: [No Frills] [In Between] [White Glove]
Type of Boats: [Fast 6-Pack] [Large and Comfortable]
Price Paid Per Tank:
Hotel Pier Pickup:
Quality of Rental Gear if used:
Nitrox available:

Ratings on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, whole numbers only...
Email/Phone Communication:
Timeliness:
Boats:
DM's:
Captains:
Briefings:
Diver's Pick Sites:
Dive Computer Limits:
Surface Intervals:
Onboard refreshments/snacks:
Expectations Met:
Total (sum of above):

Single best thing you liked about this operator:
Single worst thing you dislike about this operator:
Will you use them again?:

A little about you...
Number of dives in Cozumel:
Number of other ops used in Cozumel:
Date of last trip to Cozumel:
Number of vacation dive trips per year:
Other dive vacation islands visited:

Dude take a chill pill! Who are you to say that peoples ramblings about their holidays on Coz is unjustified? Why are you saying people have to be clinical in their review? You are chasing people from this forum and board away. We all have personal info we can input on our data on this board if we want. Lots of people like to read the ramblings. It's like a sit down at the pub or over coffee. If YOU dont like it dont freaking read it. Get a life. This board got big because of it. Quit being the better mouse trap builder. It works just fine and tons of info is dispersed. A lot of info needs correcting, such as streets or names of bars, restaurants, hotels etc. But trying to relegate how people put their vacation and their review on here is none of your business!!!!!!!!!!! Just think everything is perfect because of your review sheet. We will never need to hear from the likes of O, um say Christi, or any other op owner that contributes here. That would be bad, they add so much. So just add your 02 when asked or if you have some good info on Coz. Leave the way people choose to input want they want to let you know alone. If more info is wanted people will ask, thats called conversation on the internet.

I agree. This is our first time to Coz. My wife and I have been to Bimini 3X Nassau 2X, Walker's Cay 2X and have used dive operators all over the Keys more times than I can count. We have yet to find an operator like we have experienced here. Small covered fast boat that will carry 6 divers max, dive master operating for 25+ years. An attentiveness on dives that goes above and beyond anyone we have used. More than complete dive profile and a TRUE love for the ocean that can not be faked. He has taken us on dives that have spoiled us beyond belief. Will never be satisfied with the Bahamas or Keys again. We just finished our last dive today and are already making plans to return next year. But I am hesitant to name the operation for fear of "cheerleading". But if you want me to name it, just let me know and I will post.

...I'd like to make a motion for another sticky that will allow divers to rate/review Cozumel dive operators similar to what I mentioned above with the conditions report for Texas dive sites.
The problem I see with this approach is, as Marg and others have pointed out, that very few divers have gone out with more than a few Cozumel dive ops, which makes any comparisons they (we) draw between dive ops subject to bias based on limited experience. Beyond that, I think that a system like that invites and encourages contentiousness between dive ops and between divers. I vote "no".

Scox, sounds like it may be the same op I use, actually could be more than one but your comments remind me of one particular DM I've been lucky to have had....so I'm curious, can you click on my name and send me a private message as to who the op and DM is ? Thanks in advance !

Wow! In all my time here have I never been so throughly chastised. Rhone Man must have really crawled up your arse correcting your grammar (which is pretty bad) that you had to unload on me huh? Thanks firstdive2005! :wink:

firstdive2005:
Dude take a chill pill!
Take a chill??? Did you read what you wrote?

firstdive2005:
Who are you to say that peoples ramblings about their holidays on Coz is unjustified?
When did I say that? I never said anything that people need not give their trip reports. I love trip reports and feel that they have been scarcely lacking lately. I was only suggesting the above as a template for posts contained within a sticky that would concisely review dive operators providing additional information about the reviewer so that people reading the reivew will have some objectivity. That way, if people wanted to just get info about op's they could easily find it. Not that you've spent enough time here to know just how frequently people ask who the best op is without searching.
firstdive2005:
Why are you saying people have to be clinical in their review?
Again, I'm only suggesting they be concise in their op review that would become a part an evolving sticky, NOT their trip report.
firstdive2005:
You are chasing people from this forum and board away.
Oh really? Yet you're still here!

firstdive2005:
We all have personal info we can input on our data on this board if we want. Lots of people like to read the ramblings. It's like a sit down at the pub or over coffee. If YOU dont like it dont freaking read it.
Oh, I do but thanks for allowing me the option.
firstdive2005:
Get a life.
I've got one but thanks for the suggestion.
firstdive2005:
This board got big because of it. Quit being the better mouse trap builder. It works just fine and tons of info is dispersed. A lot of info needs correcting, such as streets or names of bars, restaurants, hotels etc. But trying to relegate how people put their vacation and their review on here is none of your business!!!!!!!!!!!
You're right, I don't care where people put their vacations.

firstdive2005:
Just think everything is perfect because of your review sheet.
Nope and I never said so. It's open for suggestions.

firstdive2005:
We will never need to hear from the likes of O, um say Christi, or any other op owner that contributes here. That would be bad, they add so much. So just add your 02 when asked or if you have some good info on Coz. Leave the way people choose to input want they want to let you know alone. If more info is wanted people will ask, thats called conversation on the internet.
That's called conversation in any setting not just the internet!

So I took all the advice you had for me, here is a little in return:
Use the M-QUOTE feature to place multiple quotes within one post instead of spamming the thread with a bunch of repeated responses.
Edit the quotes to simply respond to what is relevant in the post you're quoting.
Be sure to read all the posts in a thread before chastising someone because you don't have the whole story or all the details of the intended post. If in any doubt, don't make a scathing post if in the end you end up looking like a total ass!

ggunn:
The problem I see with this approach is, as Marg and others have pointed out, that very few divers have gone out with more than a few Cozumel dive ops, which makes any comparisons they (we) draw between dive ops subject to bias based on limited experience. Beyond that, I think that a system like that invites and encourages contentiousness between dive ops and between divers. I vote "no".
Fair enough and I felt the same especially in regards people divulging the price they paid per thank. I could see where someone could make an error and another client come along and question the op about it. I only offered it as a solution allowing people to cheer lead for their favorite op or attempt to destroy one after a bad experience but getting more information about the reviewer. YMMV

Majority of SB readers are regulars
Majority of SB regulars already have a preferred dive op
Regulars know who the pimp(s) is(are)
Regulars are unfazed by the pimp(s)
The only op negatively affected by the pimp(s) is(are) the one pimped for
Everybody else's preferred op could probably not care less that the pimp pimps
Newbies to SB can perform a search for the answer to which op to use and read for weeks
Divers are typically a pretty astute bunch, I give them credit to see a pimp for what he(they) is(are)

The pimp's pimping is lost in the noise of SB and won't last forever, as their op likely won't if they rely on SB pimping for business.

I know what we can do !
Lets fill out the dive op review form , and then guess which op it is !
Sounds like fun to me !

Excellent points Gordon! Too much room for a lot of misinformation!

I'll say it again - everyone has their favorites and it will always be that way - whether they've dove with one shop or a dozen shops on the island and whether they are a new diver or a seasoned diver.

Everyone has different tastes and needs as to what's "best" for them.

This is an internet forum designed to share our love of Cozumel and scuba diving. Yes, it can be irritating to some to sift through the posts - we all have our cheerleaders - but the choice is each person's, to read or not to read and to believe or not to believe.

Let's try not forget the point of this forum - to learn, to have fun and to meet other Cozumel diving enthusiasts!

Have a great weekend everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom