Dive ops: pimping vs legitimate info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, someone telling that something rocks or sucks without telling how, is maybe not useless, but pretty pointless. It might direct me to look for more information if I was to consider that particular option but that’s about it.

Indeed, if someone announces that they loved a dive op in an overwhelming manner but won’t specify, is a bit of a warning sign. I know there are many people who find it hard to express themselves in words (and I understand) but I am biased too (and this is a discussion board). It automatically makes me think of certain kind of client going to that place and coming back happy – a client who does not necessarily know how to compare or analyze, or does not have anything to compare to etc. Or someone a bit clueless even who does not think about things. Would I be happy in that crowd? Blind support never evoked a warm fuzzy feeling in me, and even when I know it might not be a case of that, it leaves a feeling of that when no details are shared.

So, I agree, tell us “the stuff” not just your verdict. That’s what we want to hear.

When I planned a trip to Cozumel, I looked around a bunch of the Coz threads to see who regularly went there, and then I compared what I knew about those people, their level of training and their kind of diving, with me. I wrote to someone I thought would have a similar set of criteria for a good dive op and asked her who she used. I went with her recommendation and was very pleased.

People will prioritize different things, based on how much experience they have and what they want out of their dives. You have to know where the person is coming from, to know what to make of the recommendation, I think.

I have personally experienced situations where several dive instructors and also dive shop owners enjoy being fed by the adoration of their clientele, and it seems that the clientele enjoy the feeding just as much. There is probably a better word than feeding but it is early yet. I think the unusual loyalty may come from students that at least in their minds, surrender control of their lives and safety to an individual they usually have known for a very short time and with the completion of the journey of certification comes a life long bond between student and instructor. .

So true.

So how about a different approach - I will admit that I am a somewhat 1 DiveOp on Cozumel yearly since 2005 - Heading there on Saturday as a matter of fact.

What about a sticky - Christi? - that does a compare/contrast of the DiveOps on Cozumel and let the customers add comments/ dive reports? It doesn't necessarily have to be advertising by the various shops but allows us all to highlight the perennial favorites and why they are.

Suggestion for comparison categories:
Boat info - boat size/ # of boats/ # passengers/ Fast boat etc
Classes offered
Tech/ Recreational/ both
Hotel Packages
No Frills/delux/pampered service
How long in business
Associated with Resort/ independent
Packages available
DiveOp Website/ owner contact info
others?
-----
For customers:
Why we like our favorite DiveOp
- Type of Service
- Knowledge level of crew/ DM/ Instructors
- Equipment/ boat maintenance quality
- Pickup/ Drop off locations
- cost/ quality service
- Ability to do own thing?
- Safety considerations
- Care of personal equipment
- Ability to handle special requests
- Ability to cator to Tech Divers
- others?

thoughts/comments?

1 day and a wakeup for my trip!!!!

Lee

What about a sticky - Christi? - that does a compare/contrast of the DiveOps on Cozumel and let the customers add comments/ dive reports?

That wouldn't be Christi's call; she is not a SB moderator.

I have been reading about the various dive ops in Coz in preparation for my first dive trip to Cozumel. I actually found a good number of posts providing specific information relevant to my desires. I just waded through the "cheerleader comments looking for what I wanted. One thing that did stand out to me though. I am surprised at how many people are convinced that the dive op they use is "outstanding". When I made my choice I felt like I was in a win win situation - so many "top quality" options. I was looking for a place where I could shore dive from my hotel/resort. That was priority one. Priority 2 was smalller boats. Priority 3 I wanted to be able to arrive and after the initial setup I wanted them to take care of my gear yet still have it available for me to grab and go shore diving. I knew there were a number of choices providng all the usual stuff (divemasters good at locating stuff - something I appreciate, and freindly service _something we all apprciate). I just want a clean room -hey, I'm alone and I'll be diving - a lot. Posters generally did a very good job of providing me what I needed to know to make a (hopefully) good decision. Cudus to those providing such usefull data.

This is why I usually don't just recommend just one dive op. I have 4 operators that I am familiar with, not just the one I am currently using.

By listing the 4 I give the person asking, a range of prices & services to choose from.

What about a sticky - Christi? - that does a compare/contrast of the DiveOps on Cozumel and let the customers add comments/ dive reports? It doesn't necessarily have to be advertising by the various shops but allows us all to highlight the perennial favorites and why they are.

Although I think this is a great topic - your sticky request isn't my call or in my power.

I agree with MMM and others and have ALWAYS said that there is a dive shop here for everyone. I always cringe when anyone says "so and so (my shop included) is the 'BEST' shop on the island" or "so and so is the 'BEST' DM on the island." The fact is that Cozumel has a very wide range of choices, and all are someone's "best" but can't possible be everyone's "best."

What's great for one person isn't great for another. Something that is a priority to one is a pointless perk to another. Likewise, every shop/instructor/DM/owner/boat captain/staff member has good days and bad days and high periods and low periods - just as the clients do. One person can have a fabulous experience one week and another can have a less than satisfactory experience the next week.

Something else that I saw mentioned in another thread by someone (MMM or Scubawife maybe?) is the tenure of the staff...this plays a big role in a shop's service and consistency. How long has the staff been with the shop? Do they have a high turnover? Do they use primarily freelancers or do they have a core staff of DM's/Captains and Instructors and use freelancers as extras or to cover days off? Are the DM's and/or instructors experienced or straight out of DM/Instructor training?

The point is not to compare shops by who is the "best" - but to find the shop(s) that fit YOUR needs. Just realize that when comparing prices, you also need to compare services and amenities offered - because all of those details that are offered DO add up. Some people don't need or want the extras and some do - but it's up to each person to decide.

Great topic MMM!

Last edited:
Hutchel:
Suggestion for comparison categories:
Boat info - boat size/ # of boats/ # passengers/ Fast boat etc
Classes offered
Tech/ Recreational/ both
Hotel Packages
No Frills/delux/pampered service
How long in business
Associated with Resort/ independent
Packages available
DiveOp Website/ owner contact info
others?
-----
For customers:
Why we like our favorite DiveOp
- Type of Service
- Knowledge level of crew/ DM/ Instructors
- Equipment/ boat maintenance quality
- Pickup/ Drop off locations
- cost/ quality service
- Ability to do own thing?
- Safety considerations
- Care of personal equipment
- Ability to handle special requests
- Ability to cator to Tech Divers
- others?

thoughts/comments?

I think a lot of this information can be found on most op's websites. And again, one person may give responses to these categories listed without any basis of comparison in Coz or at all. Generally, in Coz, a bad op review is often the result of a client's unrealistic expectations. I find rarely that a bad review is ever substantiated... at least here on SB.

I think monetarily unmotivated reviews, comments and suggestions on the internet has done more to provide consumers with buying knowledge than the age-old Latin term: Caveat Emptor! However, relying on those reviews, comments and suggestions requires a good bit of skepticism on the part of the reader to understand the expectations, experience, time in terms of relevancy and budget of the reviewer. It's also wise to be suspicious of someone that just joined SB or has little activity.

I'm a loyalist and will stick with something I like until I'm not satisfied. I've used 4 ops in Coz and have been with my favorite for the last 5 trips. Whenever I recommend my favorite, I always try to preface it with saying there are many other good ops to choose from depending on what they are looking for. I would expect that anyone reading my recomendation and considering them would put in as much if not more effort than I did in finding my favorite by trying others, reading reviews and contacting the op's directly.... "Caveat emptor" is still alive and well! YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom