Dive Planning Mnemonics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several things that really aren't covered in any of the mnemonics I have learned or used, that you do list in yours, Trace -- things like signals and plans for problems. I sometimes forget, when diving with people who don't have tech or cave training, or other team-oriented experience, that I need to go over signals, how we do numbers, and what the plan is for, for example, buddy separation. One of the big advantages of having everyone trained the same way is that you DON'T have to cover those things every dive, because they are understood; one of the biggest weaknesses is that, when you step outside your system, you forget to do those things.

Lynne, while what you say is MOSTLY true regarding systematic diving the very reason I decided that a review of signals was absolutely necessary is because of the number of "board meetings" that have taken place when it was time to turn the dive. In one class, I had three divers trained by the same DIR agency and the same instructors pull out three different turn signals. "Direction to exit." "Turn around." "Terminate the dive." While the meaning under the circumstance was clear, it was still sloppy.

I usually have to train out the thumb + index finger habit that indicates the direction to exit and replace that with thumbs only for "Call the dive." I have had DIR students who told me that the thumb up meant to ascend directly such as in an emergency, while others use two thumbs gesturing to move rapidly up in an emergency, etc. I'm not sure they are getting that from instructors and may be confusing signals from videos or from poorly informed DIR practitioners. I know in my GUE classes I was taught that a single thumb (whether in cave or open water) meant, "Call the dive. Let's go home."

I used to allow students to add thirds, time or deco to a thumb to provide the reason the dive is being called, but now I seek absolute simplicity and discipline in hand signals and light signals.

Anyway, with these ideas in mind, I find that it is important to review all signals that will mostly likely be critical to the dive performance just to make sure everyone is on the same page even when like-minded divers get together. Even the best trained and systematic teams begin to develop their own style of communication that might not be understood by another philosophy adherent team. I call this "creep." Things begin to be modified by individuals and teams and slowly creep away from the original procedure. Or, when things become updated by an agency, they are ignored by veterans who have already become entrenched in the way things had been done.

Over the past 30 plus years as a sport and technical diver I have encountered many mnemonics (memory aids) that were created to help with dive planning. Some were simple to remember while others required a little more effort. ... I invite members to share their planning mnemonics, thoughts, feedback, and stories in this thread.

TraceMain,

A lot of more recently trained divers seem to forget (or maybe never learned) that a mnemonic is simply an aid. If one doesn't need the aid, then one shouldn't be required to learn it. I still recall an exam question on my 1993 IANTD Recreational Nitrox course: "What does 'CONVENTID' mean?" Not, mind you, "What are the symptoms of oxygen toxicity?" I still find this type of question humorous.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. I never learned a mnemonic for dive planning. Or maybe I forgot it?

Trace, you have a point, and creep is a real phenomenon.

I was originally trained to do the "shoot the messenger" signal for an "expedited exit" that didn't require an immediate ascent. Thumbs meant "UP, NOW!" It bothered me a lot when in Cave 1, I was trained to use the thumb for turning the dive, because every time somebody gave me that signal, I felt there was something WRONG. (I've never heard of a double thumb.) I do talk to cave diving buddies about those signals, because you're right -- it isn't necessarily true that the whole team will be on the same page, even if they have the same training.

When I did my cave training, we had a discussion about the fact that different people have different ways of signalling that it is time to turn the dive, whether on thirds or whatever. In my class, we always used the thumb.

On my last set of cave dives, the person leading the dive each time used the forefinger circling method to turn the dive. We had not discussed this, but, astoundingly, I knew what he meant and did not go into panic.

I would like to repeat my observation earlier that this thread was started in the Basic Diving section, and very little of the discussion has related to basic diving.

When I did my cave training, we had a discussion about the fact that different people have different ways of signalling that it is time to turn the dive, whether on thirds or whatever. In my class, we always used the thumb.

On my last set of cave dives, the person leading the dive each time used the forefinger circling method to turn the dive. We had not discussed this, but, astoundingly, I knew what he meant and did not go into panic.

I would like to repeat my observation earlier that this thread was started in the Basic Diving section, and very little of the discussion has related to basic diving.
Then you've got a problem John -of understanding basic scuba gas planning fundamentals . . .

Similar post of mine above, but posted five-and-a-half years ago (and the following poster at that time seemed to comprehend the concept much better than you John):

". . .Now use the 1 bar per minute nominal SAC rate with a twinset of 11 Liter bottles. Since you're using a normalized rate of 1 bar/minute, all the arithmetic you have to do to figure gas consumption on-the-fly at depth simply involves the time and depth you're at in ATA. . ."

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-what-your-most-useful-tip-2.html#post2365205

Also this one from the same thread 5 1/2 years ago, but using single AL80 tank . . .

Then you've got a problem John -of understanding basic scuba gas planning fundamentals . . .

Similar post of mine above, but posted five-and-a-half years ago (and the following poster at that time seemed to comprehend the concept much better than you John):

No doubt about it. I am renowned for this lack of understanding. Thank you for pointing out my base stupidity. I am always grateful when you enter threads like this and spread the immense wisdom for which you are renowned.

No doubt about it. I am renowned for this lack of understanding. Thank you for pointing out my base stupidity. I am always grateful when you enter threads like this and spread the immense wisdom for which you are renowned.
You're a Mod and an Educator/Author as well --you should know that Wisdom is the living marriage of Knowledge and Experience.

Instead of being rhetorically self-deprecating and dismissive, why don't you offer something USEFUL AND ENGAGING TO DEVELOP & STEER THIS THREAD JOHN!!!!????

Kevrumbo and boulderjohn:

[h=3]You are in the Basic Scuba Discussions Forum: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.[/h]

+1 amphigorey

Theres nothing constructive in these attacks in what started as an interesting and actually USEFUL thread. Keep it to pm's or post something on topic

I will admit to being a bit angry when I read that post late last night. I had already mentioned in the thread that I had written an entire chapter in a course on the very topic of this thread and posted some comments about that. I made what I hoped were constructive comments. In response, Kevrumbo simple said that I showed a lack "of understanding basic scuba gas planning fundamentals," a topic I had not even remotely mentioned previously. That same course has a chapter on gas planning fundamentals, aimed at the recreational diver. Since I was slammed in the face out of left field, I am afraid I overreacted. My apologies to all who were bothered by it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom