Dive Planning Mnemonics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like now to go on to the subject of Mnemonics and my repetition of the opinion that if the process is too complicated, it won't be used.

As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems we see with OW divers is that they often don't do any real pre-dive check whatsoever, even the very simple one (BWRAF) most were taught in their OW class. They apparently don't feel it is necessary.

So what about more advanced divers? When I was with UTD, we were required to learn the SADDDDD mnemonic as part of our classroom instruction, but in the 200+ dives I witnessed or participated in within the UTD system, I never once saw it used in actual practice, at least as far as I can recall. When I went through full cave training, I went into every training dive having followed a routine, and I went into every dive knowing the plan, but I was never even introduced to a mnemonic in that training, let alone use one. In my later technical training I also went into every dive fully prepared for that dive, and yet, once again, I never used a mnemonic, even though there was one described in the text. I was recently on a boat in which a portion of the divers were technical divers of the GUE persuasion, one person in particular being very close to the leadership of the organization. I dressed up, planned, and dived with that group. No mnemonic was used.

As an educational theorist, my reaction to these observations is that there must be something in the concept of mnemonics themselves that people do not find useful, or that at least prevents them from using them effectively. It seems to me that rather than invent a new one, it might be wise to try to figure out why the existing ones are not being used first. I do have my theories on this, but I will just let others react to what I say for now.

John, as the risk of a dive increases it becomes more and more important to minimize that risk for individually and team safety. For the beginner, even shallow and benign dives might carry risk due to lack of experience, lack of skill development, and unfamiliarity with equipment and team members. For veteran divers, such as a cave CCR (rebreather) diver, a mnemonic may not be enough of a safety tool because it is possible to forget elements of a plan despite a memory aid and a full written checklist may need to be followed for greater safety.

As you suggest many divers don't use mnemonics or find them useful. But, I believe this is because many mnemonics are hard to remember themselves. I bet most of us remember ROY G BIV from our school days because that was the first fake name and first real mnemonic that teachers ever asked us to use. The principle of primacy in action.

In diving there are many silly mnemonics and many useful ones. I found SADDDDD so easy to use with practice that adding 2 more D's for a more thorough plan wasn't difficult. Why did that mnemonic help? Because when I got into technical diving, I discovered that I needed to remember the elements of the dive and have a good plan. SADDDDD was what I was taught. There was a learning curve, but once learned it was an invaluable tool for me much like the backward kick.

But, like any tool or skill a mnemonic must be used to be a proficient part of a dive. Also, like any tool or skill, its use must be taught in such a way that it is remembered. But, having a mnemonic for the sake of having one misses the forest for the trees. A good mnemonic must help one to organize the elements of the dive in a logical and correct order much like ROY G BIV helps with the colors of the spectrum. For example, as a TDI instructor I learned START (S-Drill/Bubble check, Team, Air, Route, and Tables), but this mnemonic wasn't useful because the elements were illogical. It starts with the in-water check before the dive is planned.

Dive planning isn't just for technical divers. I have read and heard PADI's mnemonic recited many times, but I can't remember it. I start with Begin With Air And ... in an instant I'm somewhere like BWARF which reminds me of both BARF and WARF. I remember a friend using fake barf in class in elementary school then immediately go on to think about Star Trek episodes. PADI's mnemonic serves no value to me because I require a more through plan than just a few letters. Had I learned it and used it, it might serve as a simple pre-dive tool.

At PSAI, we have a simple mnemonic for deep diving called DATA for Depth, Air/gas, Time, Awareness (team, environment, equipment) that is used in extended range air diving that helps one cycle through arenas of concern. I've found that useful as well. It helps one track one's ability to remain dialed-in despite a narcotic load. The argument for or against using air or increased equivalent narcotic depths in mixed gas might be an interesting topic for another thread since I don't think it has ever been discussed.
:deadhorse:

Anyway, my experience with using PLANS SAVE when diving and in class has been excellent. Most of the elements are accounted for in logical order.

PLANS SAVE = makes sense since that's why we are planning the dive and if it goes through your mind while you are thinking about skipping a thorough plan maybe you'll back-up and do it by the numbers, so to speak. It's kept me honest.

People - Leader? Team position? Jobs?
Logistics are "ADDED" - Air or gas to be used? Depth? Duration? (Normally I'll flip-flop and do Deco then Emergencies and contingencies, but ADDED helps me cover each base in any order.)
Air Rule - often thirds or rock bottom
"ADD" the Nav - Azimuth/compass, direction, distance?
Signals - Lights and review of command signals, call the dive, direction to home, emergency ascent right here or nearest exit, slow down, speed up, bubbles, broken (normally review team position for light failures), low on gas, out of gas (review team position), level off, deco, up next level, surface, and any wetnotes abbreviations.

Once in the water:

S-Drill (usually modified to make sure hoses are free and clear)
Air leak check (bubble check, check contents label, check turn pressures, announce starting and turn pressures of gas you are diving)
Valve Drill (usually modified)
Equipment (lights working, 2 safety spools, primary reel)

Then, a quick recap of who is doing what and the deco plan (if it wasn't planned in the water prior to the SAVE) and underwater we go.

It's been a very useful tool and my students have really liked it.

As you suggest many divers don't use mnemonics or find them useful. But, I believe this is because many mnemonics are hard to remember themselves.
That may be one reason. I think there are others, but I am in a theoretical phase of my thinking on this.

.But, like any tool or skill a mnemonic must be used to be a proficient part of a dive. Also, like any tool or skill, its use must be taught in such a way that it is remembered. But, having a mnemonic for the sake of having one misses the forest for the trees. A good mnemonic must help one to organize the elements of the dive in a logical and correct order much like ROY G BIV helps with the colors of the spectrum. For example, as a TDI instructor I learned START (S-Drill/Bubble check, Team, Air, Route, and Tables), but this mnemonic wasn't useful because the elements were illogical. It starts with the in-water check before the dive is planned.
As a TDI instructor, I was required to learn it as well for the academic portion of the class, but it was never mentioned during the dive portions of instructor course, and I think you pinpointed why it is not as useful; in fact, I think it is why many mnemonics are not useful. Let's look at a pretty advanced dive to see why.

You and a buddy have decided to dive the RBJ wreck in South Florida, at roughly 260 feet. In order to do that dive, you have to locate a dive operator who is going to take you there. You are going to have to get your tanks filled at least the day before. That means that you are going to have to decide what to put in them first. You are going to need to know what deco gases you will use. You will need to know what size tanks you are each using so you can calculate anticipated bottom time and an ascent profile. All of that is the sort of thing you will do automatically, unless you are blithering idiots. Consequently, a whole lot of the pre-dive planning is done days or even weeks before you get on the boat. Including that sort of thing in a pre-dive mnemonic before the dive is a waste of time--you completed all that long before. You may need to talk about who is doing what on the dive to some degree when you are at the site, but there is a good chance you have already done that. Hand signals? You've dived with this buddy many times, so you have those down as well. Yes, all the planning gets done, but it is usually not done in the order of the mnemonic or even on the same day.

Now let's step that down quite a bit in the level of complexity and talk instead about a very typical, basic OW vacation dive. The divers go to the location and are shown their AL 80 tanks. The DM gives a briefing telling them where he or she will be leading them that day. That briefing includes the specific signals the DM wants them to use to use to indicate PSI. Other than that, they will use all the usual hand signals. They have no plans on doing a valve drill, since pretty much none of them are able to reach their valves anyway, and they are not using valves that will allow them to shut them off anyway. Once again, most of the planning was done ahead of time, and going through a long, complicated process that includes irrelevant items at that time is a process they are likely to skip.

It's been a very useful tool and my students have really liked it.
I am sincerely glad to hear it. The proof will be if they continue to do all of that prior to each dive they do.

As I said, my observation is that with all the existing mnemonics in play, I have rarely seen divers use them. I have rarely used them myself, preferring another method that has evolved with me. The course I teach that includes mnemonics (and it does) gives several options, gives the pros and cons for each, and then suggests that divers adopt a planning process and predive check process that works for them.

Yeah, PADI's mnemonic "Begin With Review And Friend" is so nonsensical that it's useless. We use "Bruce Willis Ruins All Films" instead.

Yup, that's the one I use and the students all seem to love it - which does help in the retention. It is so funny listening to them mumble "Ruins"....oh yeah Releases..."

This is not a Mnemonic I know, but all my students hear this: TABD (tab'd): Time; Air; Buddy; Depth: "check your time; check your air; check your buddy; check your depth - deeper you go more often you do it". I tell them to think of it as the "sweep" you do of your mirror and across your dashboard when driving.

Bill

That may be one reason. I think there are others, but I am in a theoretical phase of my thinking on this.

Then, there's the practical phase. You're a contestant on Jeopardy. The answer is, "These are the colors of the spectrum." You click the button and ring in. You probably think to yourself. What was that mnemonic from 7th grade? Right! ROY G BIV! You reply, with the question, "What are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet?" Because, it was a good mnemonic and was easily learned and retained.

As a TDI instructor, I was required to learn it as well for the academic portion of the class, but it was never mentioned during the dive portions of instructor course, and I think you pinpointed why it is not as useful; in fact, I think it is why many mnemonics are not useful. Let's look at a pretty advanced dive to see why.

You and a buddy have decided to dive the RBJ wreck in South Florida, at roughly 260 feet...

... Consequently, a whole lot of the pre-dive planning is done days or even weeks before you get on the Yes, all the planning gets done, but it is usually not done in the order of the mnemonic or even on the same day.

True. But, on the same day, as we were gearing up and running through the pre-dive plan, if I was leading, I'd be running through PLANS in my head to construct the plan to see if we left anything out. You lead. I'll follow. Single file down the line in the current, wing on wing on the bottom, single file in the wreck. You run the line into the wreck. I'll undo any wraps or ties that will be helpful as we exit. I'll shoot the bag. We've got 15/55 for the bottom, 21/35 for travel and deep switches. 50% and 100%. 260 to the sand. 230 inside. 20 minutes for penetration or 1/6 of gas whichever comes first. Average will probably be 210 by the time we descend, find our entry, and start inside. Deco will be ascend to 150 and switch, 1 at 150, 1 at 140, 1 at 130, 1 at 110, 1 at 100, 1 at 90, 2 at 80, switch at 70 and then do 5 at 70 on 50%, 4 at 50, 3 at 40, 5 at 30. At 20, we'll switch to O2 and do 20 at 20, 5 at 10. Forget anything? Yes, we did! Nowhere in PLANS did it account for travel gas switches. So, let's descend on the 21/35 and switch to the 15/55 at 140 in the shelter of the top of the wreck since the current is ripping and that would be the best place for a switch and equipment inventory. Anything else? Right! Emergencies! Okay, our bailout plan is ... and our overstay is ... and if anything happens to me make sure my wetnotes are transported with me since all of my medical information is on the last page. Air rule? Max sixths in or 20 minutes. Navigation? Don't need the compass, but we'll go in and turn right then left then left then down until we reach the engine room. Distance inside probably 300 to 400 feet. Signals? Thumbs for call the dive ...

Just before we entered the water, I'd think SAVE. Okay, modified S-Drill. Check gas. Check valves. Got primary and safety reels? Back up lights work on boat? Okay, man, I'm ready to go. If you see any leaks on the way down that I need to know about let me know.

Now let's step that down quite a bit in the level of complexity and talk instead about a very typical, basic OW vacation dive. The divers go to the location and are shown their AL 80 tanks. The DM gives a briefing telling them where he or she will be leading them that day. That briefing includes the specific signals the DM wants them to use to use to indicate PSI. Other than that, they will use all the usual hand signals. They have no plans on doing a valve drill, since pretty much none of them are able to reach their valves anyway, and they are not using valves that will allow them to shut them off anyway. Once again, most of the planning was done ahead of time, and going through a long, complicated process that includes irrelevant items at that time is a process they are likely to skip.

In this case the team is being lead by the DM who may or may not be following a pre-dive plan. If you were leading me into a dive with SADDDDD, I'd be mentally checking off items with PLANS SAVE. If you missed anything that I may have a question about, then, I'd ask if I thought covering it would be important. If the team has a mnemonic that they often use then, they might have a question for the divemaster if something in the plan was unclear.

As far as jumping off the boat, if I were there I'd just need to know:

People - Who is my buddy? Who is leading? Or, is it the DM?
Logistics are ADDED - Air or gas? Skip. Already analyzed Nitrox 32. Depth? Already given. Duration? Already given. Emergencies? "Excuse me, but could you explain the diver recall system again?" Deco? 3 - 5 minute safety stop at 15 feet. Got it.
Air Rule - Half-usable. They can pick me up, but back on boat with 500 psi.
Navigation - Follow guide, but remember to check your compass and take mental pictures for return if needed like you do when cave diving.
Signals - Already covered. But ... "Hey, buddy. If you run out of gas, I'll give you this regulator from my mouth and then ask you, "QUESTION. Will that be MASTERCARD? Visa? Or, AMERICAN EXPRESS?"

I am sincerely glad to hear it. The proof will be if they continue to do all of that prior to each dive they do.

As I said, my observation is that with all the existing mnemonics in play, I have rarely seen divers use them. I have rarely used them myself, preferring another method that has evolved with me. The course I teach that includes mnemonics (and it does) gives several options, gives the pros and cons for each, and then suggests that divers adopt a planning process and predive check process that works for them.

Don't think that a mnemonic has to be formal or rigid. It's a memory aid. The steps do not have to be followed in order, but a well-learned and used mnemonic is a tool to help you recall all elements of a plan and also let you know how poorly or well you've planned a dive. For example, many of my students skip the formality of the PLANS part after class, but most use the SAVE 100% of the time and always check hose deployment, air or gas, valves and make sure that they have any specialty equipment required for the dive.

Even if every diver in a team had a different, but useful mnemonic, each diver could inventory the elements of the plan and add to the plan or raise questions about the plan. But, as I said, a mnemonic needs to make sense and be useful as a tool toward accomplishing the goal of constructing a good plan.

In my classes, students learn that PLANS SAVE and the less thoroughly a dive is planned and checked for safety the wider the window opens to let Murphy enter.

Maybe it's just me but mnemonics, acronyms, simple sayings, etc are very confusing to a number of people. One reason I stopped using the Begin With Review and Friend as a PADI DM was that nobody seemed to remember what the hell the words stood for! They would go "ok Begin that means uhhhh (coach BC) oh yeah, I got one on! With uhhhh where are we going? no, weights. Oh ok got them too. Do I have enough? (Now starting to hate this saying) Review right? Yes! Ok we are reviewing...tables! No! re frigging leases (in my head only actually just say releases now want to kill the moron that came up with this) and uhhhhhh WHat does "and" stand for again - AIR! Oh yeah now I remember, check! Friend? I know this one, my dive buddy? Got him! High five lets dive!

More than once a variation on this. Finally refused to continue using it and just told them to do a head to toe check of the BC that includes the releases, Air, Weights, and bubble check once in the water. Nobody forgot that. Using cutesy sayings was one thing I refused to do when I became an instructor. I advise students to make actual lists and use them. In fact I am going to start handing out a basic laminated page that they can use. And I have another idea kicking around. Just need to find the right outlet.

The SADDDD thing would take me forever to learn and get in my head. As would GUE EDGE or any other item like this. IF I am going to use a compilation of letters then they need to be simple and actually represent the function or piece of gear.

GUE EDGE. lemme see. " Get Up Ed, Edith Done Got Eaten! " I can remember that but what does it mean?

I do like the PLANS SAVE. But again wouldn't it be clearer and easier to hand it out on a card spelled out as to what it actually represents? Plans do save dives, lives, and lots of other stuff. But even the most comprehensive drilling will not prevent someone from forgetting a critical point every time. An actual written list is better IMO.

An actual written list is better IMO.
I think we have a winner.

I have a mnemonic which is "Bend Goats" (with a nod to Haldane). What the letters of any memory guide stand for is less important than that every diver cover all the bases before dropping. And no mnemonic can do that if you're distracted.

I once completely geared up on a boat only to realize that I forgot to zip my drysuit (in front of four guys from one of the three-letter anti-terrorism agencies, who were also diving the boat that day). My excuse is that I was too focused on my students. Yeah, sure.

-Bryan

PS. "Bend Goats" for the curious is available via pm.

Jim, what you address is why it is important to have a simple memory aid and have that mnemonic instilled in training. Like any skill it takes time and practice. As we know much dive training today is short both on time and practice. Students won't remember mnemonics for the same reason they can't kick well or share gas at 15 feet for 3 minutes without moving. Not enough time, practice and instruction.

Because I teach technical diving, CONVENTID is great for me when it comes to toxicity. If I remember the mnemonic, it's no problem to add the elements because I discuss the signs and symptoms of toxicity in detail on a regular basis. For divers who never even think about the signs and symptoms, CONVENTID may be useless.

John, I think that might be something to consider. I believe that mnemonics may be useful to help people remember elements of which they are familiar in an orderly way, but mnemonics probably serve little purpose in trying to remember things with which a person isn't very familiar.

1. Planning without a checklist or mnemonic may find divers missing key elements if needing to construct a safe and thorough plan quickly or hastily before a dive.

2. A mnemonic may serve to help divers remember key elements of a complex dive plan.

3. Nothing beats a checklist. 100% of the elements of a plan can be addressed.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2012 at 08:22 PM ----------

Bryan, for what does BENDS GOATS stand?

I agree the standard PADI one is so hard to remember. My instructor used Bangkok Women Really Are Fellas ha that kinda stuck in my brain. But agree that its lacking. I like the detail of the PLANS SAVE mnemonic for a more holistic approach

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom