Dive Report: Destin Jetties 4-17-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I love color!

You want color????

Cypress Spring-Freshwater
cypressplants-2.jpg

Jackson Blue-Freshwater
crawfish2.jpg

ShangRa-La-Freshwater
shangralafish.jpg

Blue is a color: Jug Hole-Freshwater
f2cb04c0.jpg

Okay, I will stop! But colors are GREAT in the caves and on the way in...it is a win/win situation.

Sweet...I have been married 30 years so I don't get to hear "You Win" very often! :D

Okay. You win! The peer pressure is to much!

Thank God it's you Alex, they are trying to suck me into the Dark side! Why didn't we like caves again?

Thank God it's you Alex, they are trying to suck me into the Dark side! Why didn't we like caves again?

• 7' reg hoses = compensating for something
  • no mermaids in freshwater caves (except wikiwatchie)
  • no sunken pirate ships
  • no gold coins/bars
  • no silver coins/bars
  • no gals wearing bikinis in caves
  • extra tanks and weights
  • 1 hour deco stops staring at a lump of limestone
  • 1 reel is already a p.i.t.a.
  • Magnum P.I. never dove in fresh water!
  • no cephalopods
  • no sharks
  • no corals
  • no anemones
  • no sea turtles
  • no dolphins
  • no crabs (worth eating)
  • no lobster (big enough to eat)
  • no snapper
  • no flounder
  • no triggerfish (yum!)
  • bad selection of seashells
  • no briney taste o' the sea
  • no Oriskany
  • great viz and lack of current fails to weed out wimpy tourist divers
  • you think dive gear is expensive? try cave dive gear....

in fact, there's really only one good reason to ever dive in fresh water......

No Jellyfish!

• no mermaids in freshwater caves (except wikiwatchie), unfortunately saltwater mermaids don't have weight limits, they can far too often be mistaken as whales
  • no sunken pirate ships, Have you dove a pirate ship? We do have shipwrecks, civil war era wreck in Troy Springs
  • no gold coins/bars, It was rumored that there was pirate gold and treasures in the springs
  • no silver coins/bars, See above
  • no gals wearing bikinis in caves, Not in the caves, but floating above them. These places make primo swimming holes. Sometimes they don't wear ANYTHING, much less bikinis
  • extra tanks and weights, We carry extra tanks so we don't have to wear weight, and we get longer dives
  • 1 hour deco stops staring at a lump of limestone, Actually, we have a continous stream of drunk college tubers floating over above us
  • 1 reel is already a p.i.t.a., It gets easy, even for the simple minded
  • Magnum P.I. never dove in fresh water!, Lloyd Bridges did!
  • no cephalopods, but plenty of spiders with eight legs, ticks too!
  • no sharks, but we have sharks teeth!
  • no corals, but we have fossilized coral!
  • no sea turtles, only the fossilized remains of them, as well as plenty of the freshwater variety!
  • no dolphins, just fossils!
  • no lobster (big enough to eat), I'll take 5lb of crawfish over a shovelnose any day!
  • no flounder, plenty of freshwater sole/flouder
  • no triggerfish (yum!), but plenty of rednecks pulling triggers!
  • bad selection of seashells, Sorry, but you're dead wrong here... We have all the same shells you have, I'm not at all kidding - you have to realize that our caves were once reefs.
  • no briney taste o' the sea, this is a good thing, and we don't have to rinse afterwards
  • no Oriskany, we have the Madison
  • great viz and lack of current fails to weed out wimpy tourist divers, the tourist divers stick around in saltwater, its far easier, requires far less training, far less commitment, far less planning, far less energy(mental or physical)
  • you think dive gear is expensive? try cave dive gear....Truth!

in fact, there's another really good reason to dive in fresh water......

No Jellyfish!

I fixed your list for you :)

All the equipment you buy to use in a cave can also be used in the ocean.....Especially if you ever want to see the inside of the Oriskany. I use the same configuration anywhere I dive now. I plan to start training in wreck penetration when I finish my cave training. :)

Back
Top Bottom