Dive Report: Destin Jetties 4-17-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Mike, I want to go back to get some more pictures at Jug Hole...it was an awesome place. The diver in that picture is Shagman. After I saw what that picture looked like, I set the camera, handed it to Josh, and went over and let him take a shot of me....this is my favorite diving picture of me.

20dcceb4.jpg

Glenn..... that is an AWESOME shot!

I fixed your list for you :)

ya, ya, I'm aware. (must remember not to drink the Kool Aid whilst cavers are around).

The only two points I'll argue with you on are the shells, and the tourists.

I know you guys have fossils, but that doesn't do the same thing for me as a nice freshly vacated saltwater shell. Not saying they're better, just saying I'm into the stuff I find in the Gulf.

As for the tourists (who aren't all bad btw), they don't dive in viz less than 20ft, or in current, or when waves around. They go to Vortex and Morrison to dive :D (though probably not in caves)

Thanks for the reminder!!!!!!

• 7' reg hoses = compensating for something
  • no mermaids in freshwater caves (except wikiwatchie)
  • no sunken pirate ships
  • no gold coins/bars
  • no silver coins/bars
  • no gals wearing bikinis in caves
  • extra tanks and weights
  • 1 hour deco stops staring at a lump of limestone
  • 1 reel is already a p.i.t.a.
  • Magnum P.I. never dove in fresh water!
  • no cephalopods
  • no sharks
  • no corals
  • no anemones
  • no sea turtles
  • no dolphins
  • no crabs (worth eating)
  • no lobster (big enough to eat)
  • no snapper
  • no flounder
  • no triggerfish (yum!)
  • bad selection of seashells
  • no briney taste o' the sea
  • no Oriskany
  • great viz and lack of current fails to weed out wimpy tourist divers
  • you think dive gear is expensive? try cave dive gear....

in fact, there's really only one good reason to ever dive in fresh water......

No Jellyfish!

You should get that one framed....

It's better than the first shot.!

Thanks Mike, I want to go back to get some more pictures at Jug Hole...it was an awesome place. The diver in that picture is Shagman. After I saw what that picture looked like, I set the camera, handed it to Josh, and went over and let him take a shot of me....this is my favorite diving picture of me.

20dcceb4.jpg

ya, ya, I'm aware. (must remember not to drink the Kool Aid whilst cavers are around).

The only two points I'll argue with you on are the shells, and the tourists.

I know you guys have fossils, but that doesn't do the same thing for me as a nice freshly vacated saltwater shell. Not saying they're better, just saying I'm into the stuff I find in the Gulf.

As for the tourists (who aren't all bad btw), they don't dive in viz less than 20ft, or in current, or when waves around. They go to Vortex and Morrison to dive :D (though probably not in caves)

Some of the caves are lined with sand dollars that you wouldn't be able to tell apart from one you picked up from the Destin Jetties, side by side. Some of the shells found are in excellent condition, its pretty amazing. Not to mention other fossils like vertebrae and ribs from ancient marine animals... things that have typically been ground up into dust from wave action if left in open ocean.

Plenty of tourists dive 20ft of visibility, that beats the crap out of visibility in places that typically train divers in worse visibility. Then tourists trained in quarrys have 20' visibility and frigid temps, they welcome the same visibility and the ability to go in without so much exposure protection.

If you're talking about tourists that frequent the islands? They probably aren't so interested in surf, 20' of visibility and currents, but they are equally as uninterested in a spring dive.

I WISH I had 20' visibility everytime I did a beach dive. 5-10' is the norm in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. I've got hundreds of beach dives, love em, but there is a totally different draw to the caves. They really aren't comparable, you wouldn't know because you haven't been in that environment.

I don't really care for the food at Hooters either.

Some of the caves are lined with sand dollars that you wouldn't be able to tell apart from one you picked up from the Destin Jetties, side by side. Some of the shells found are in excellent condition, its pretty amazing. Not to mention other fossils like vertebrae and ribs from ancient marine animals... things that have typically been ground up into dust from wave action if left in open ocean.

Plenty of tourists dive 20ft of visibility, that beats the crap out of visibility in places that typically train divers in worse visibility. Then tourists trained in quarrys have 20' visibility and frigid temps, they welcome the same visibility and the ability to go in without so much exposure protection.

If you're talking about tourists that frequent the islands? They probably aren't so interested in surf, 20' of visibility and currents, but they are equally as uninterested in a spring dive.

I WISH I had 20' visibility everytime I did a beach dive. 5-10' is the norm in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. I've got hundreds of beach dives, love em, but there is a totally different draw to the caves. They really aren't comparable, you wouldn't know because you haven't been in that environment.

wait a minute..... They have food there? :shocked2:

Yeah, deep-fried owl legs, I believe. Why else would they name it Hooters?

Back
Top Bottom