Dive Report - Pt Lobos - 31 Mar 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben..That wasnt your first time diving Point Lobos was it..?

Great pictures..looked like a nice day viz wise!

Drewpy:
Ben..That wasnt your first time diving Point Lobos was it..?

Great pictures..looked like a nice day viz wise!

No, it was our first time out at GP Wall/Pinnacles

yangnome:
great photos. I need to make it out to Lobos again soon before the kelp gets thick.

You wanna go out on Monday again about middle of May?

very likely yes, unless my days off change between now and then. I've been looking for another job, but who knows what will happen.

rhlee:
Just a toy camera. Olympus C5000 (5MP point and shoot) in an Olympus housing. I have a decent strobe though (Inon Z240).

One of these days, I'd like to upgrade to a real camera.... but I'd also like a scooter and a RIB and ... :shakehead
thanks for the info. good photos, btw.

rhlee:
Just a toy camera. Olympus C5000 (5MP point and shoot) in an Olympus housing. I have a decent strobe though (Inon Z240).

One of these days, I'd like to upgrade to a real camera.... but I'd also like a scooter and a RIB and ... :shakehead

Dude that's a "decent" strobe? What's a "good" strobe cost? Man sometimes I really want to try the photography thing then I faint when I start adding it up.... :shocked: but then again I paid 3,500 so that I don't have to fin :)

Ben_ca:
Dude that's a "decent" strobe? What's a "good" strobe cost? Man sometimes I really want to try the photography thing then I faint when I start adding it up.... :shocked: but then again I paid 3,500 so that I don't have to fin :)

My strobe gets the job done. It recycles decently fast, has a nice color temp, and has some bells and whistles. I'm pretty amateur to this, but strobes are rated for guide numbers. A guide number, more or less, tells you how powerful the strobe is (higher is better). I think mine has a GN of 24. For reference, I was chatting with Clinton and I think he mentioned that his strobe 's GN is in the 50's. And he has 2.

Anyway, you should try photography some time. And while you're trying photography, I can try scootering :D

Your strobe more than gets the job done. Ugh, you're making want to try a strobe on my little S50.

Though, my ideal would be a CSI X-Scooter. Kills two bird with one very expensive stone.

It's a $1,900 upgrade... but then again the cost of getting a video housing, mount ect... then learning how to use it. I like the simple point and shoot style with the CSI X-Scooter...

But then again I could use a new drysuit... does it ever end?

Ben_ca:
But then again I could use a new drysuit... does it ever end?

I doubt it. But then again, at least your spouse doesn't dive too. Everything costs 2x what it ought to, and all your best gear gets "stolen". My guess is that Don knows what I'm talking about :p

I think if it were me, I'd steer the $1900 upgrade into a Tobin battery before the camera mount. I think in order to get any decent video (like the scooter sequences on Beto and Susan's DSV DVD) you also need big-*** video lights, etc... I can appreciate watching the canonical X-scooter video clips because I'm a dive geek, but I don't think the video quite translates the "wow" factor to non-divers the same way that you can do through pictures.

Anyway, enough pontificating about how to spend imaginary money on nice toys. times 2 :shakehead

Back
Top Bottom