Dive Rite BP/W Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for your reference I am 5'10" and weigh in at 190ish lbs. I am using a DR SS 6lb. BP, an Oxy Cheq Mach V 30# wing and LP ST 72 single tanks. With my one piece 5/7 wet suit, hood gloves I use about between 12-16 lbs of led (fresh to salt water) on a separate weight belt. I am working on getting it down to 10-14lbs as well.

I'm going to be blunt here, I think that Glen got bad advice, and I see more of it here (sorry Rob, no offense!!)

Here's the story, and why I'm being harsh here... Glen has a very similar body build and height (he's not as dense/cut as Rob or Edd, and neither am I, and we're both tall)... and he has the same exposure/gear that I do, and I'm perfectly neutral on an empty tank. As far as I know, this is the optimal setup, because you can add weight for extra exposure and/or saltwater dives. I told Glen all this, but he took Edd's and I think Mat's suggestion, and while those guys are experts, one hasn't ever had our body type and the other never dove a single on BP/W. I can definitely understand why Glen would take Edd's suggestion over mine though :)

now that you have the AL plate anyway I suggest you do Stacia's suggestion, and add some add-on weight pockets, in fact I think you picked up some from Edd already if I remember right... I did like Stacia and put them on my tank camstraps, but you can put them wherever you like on your harness. You should need 2-4lbs at most for a spring dive. Stacia is right, the XS Scuba pockets with the velcro attachment suck, I gave mine away and got the kind with the permenant loop on it.

Glen has a very similar body build and height (he's not as dense/cut as Rob or Edd, and neither am I, and we're both tall)...
Hmmm, I have read this a few times...not as dense/cut??? At first I was hoping you were comparing me to Edd's build :D, then I remembered....oh yeah, muscle is heavier then fat...you sure picked a nice, politically correct way to say that!:shocked2:

I told Glen all this, but he took Edd's and I think Mat's suggestion, and while those guys are experts, one hasn't ever had our body type and the other never dove a single on BP/W. I can definitely understand why Glen would take Edd's suggestion over mine though :)
Yep, I have to admit...the Shagman did call this one correct. If I get a stainless steel plate I am going to name it the "Shag Plate". This BP/W setup is totally new to me so I was just trying to get opinions on what was best. I think what Perrone said is true, each person has been correct in their own way. If I was diving like most cave divers, then the Alum. would be just right....it was okay with a full tank down to about 1200 PSI. If I had a can light, reels, etc. I would be just right....so they were correct about the Alum. plate.

But, as Shagman has said, my body type....and yes, I AM in shape.....ROUND IS A SHAPE!!:lotsalove: does make me require a little more weight when diving a single tank without all the cave gear clipped on.

now that you have the AL plate anyway I suggest you do Stacia's suggestion, and add some add-on weight pockets, in fact I think you picked up some from Edd already if I remember right.
I did pick up two pockets from Edd because I knew for saltwater I would need them. Based upon what everyone has suggested, here is my temporary fix. I am going to add a sausage weight to the back plate because that is a $20 fix for right now. I already have the pockets that I can add for saltwater so that will be a quick fix.

But, the best fix is the steel plate....I like Perrone's advice, "get the right tool for the job." Thanks for everyone's helpful advice. I spent two hours in the pool Sunday trying to get the harness adjusted properly...I think I am pretty close now with that.

Hang on, when I start setting up doubles down the road....y'all better be ready to help again!!:D

I'm anxious to see how your setup ends up, since you have IDENTICAL BP/W/harness as I do... I haven't been able to really cheat off of anyone else in-person to get rigging tips.

My luck, I'm gonna get my setup worked out 100%, then swap to a Nomad the next week!!

Perrone and Josh, my point was the AL plate is the most versatile. Add a channel weight to compensate now, but when Glen moves onto doubles, he'll be using the AL plate exclusively. Yes, he can spend a ton of money and buy 2 back plates. Or he can buy 1 plate and some channel weights and have money for other gear. Perrone, I understand having the right tool for the job, but what's wrong with an AL plate with a channel weight?

I don't think anything is wrong with a channel weight, or any one of the other solutions I mentioned. I don't know that I'd characterize buying a second plate as a "ton of money", but certainly more than buying a channel weight.

I've found significant value in having more than one plate. Particularly when setting one up for doubles (or diving dry) and the other for singles (or diving wet).

As I said, I respect your opinion, I just have a different idea on this one. Do you really think Glenfwb is going to dive 108s exclusively? Especially wet, off a boat? Maybe so, I don't know.

Perrone and Josh, my point was the AL plate is the most versatile. Add a channel weight to compensate now, but when Glen moves onto doubles, he'll be using the AL plate exclusively. Yes, he can spend a ton of money and buy 2 back plates. Or he can buy 1 plate and some channel weights and have money for other gear. Perrone, I understand having the right tool for the job, but what's wrong with an AL plate with a channel weight?

I dive a venture wing with an aluminum plate and the same tank in saltwater. I wear a WEIGHT BELT with like 6 lbs on it. Isn't that easier and more comfortable?

I dive a venture wing with an aluminum plate and the same tank in saltwater. I wear a WEIGHT BELT with like 6 lbs on it. Isn't that easier and more comfortable?

Not to me, but perhaps to others.

Hey Rob,
I tried a couple of months ago on another thread to make the same point about the versatility of the AL plate and a channel/sausage weight. Seems that people just don't get the point about the channel weight not having any negatives in comparison to a SS plate. It does actually have some positive atributes. In general the cost of an aluminum plate and channel weigh will not cost what the SS plate alone costs. Then if you are looking for a light weight travel plate the aluminum is less expensive then a Kydex plate. As already noted for doubles the AL plate is a great option.
Seems some dealers don't want to suggest this cost effective way to create a maxi versatile dive kit. After all they would rather sell multiples or equipment with a higher markup.
Well just wanted to say I hear ya and agree!

Rob W.

Seems that people just don't get the point about the channel weight not having any negatives in comparison to a SS plate.

That's a bit presumptuous don't you think? Because we choose a different path doesn't mean we're dense or stupid. And it simply your opinion that the channel weight does not have any negatives over a SS plate.

It might be useful to consider that a channel weight does not fit within the more shallow plates out there like it does with plates with more profile. Hence DSS offering weight plates instead of a channel weight.

For point of fact, I've used channel weights (with my other plate) and it worked fine. Sometimes it's just not about saving a few bucks. Sometimes people just make choices that don't agree with ours for their own reasons.

Back
Top Bottom