Dive Rite BP/W Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found this discussion very useful. I haven't dove single tank in a couple years. But, I want to now. I reconfigured my steel BP for single. Then circumstances made it likely the next time I dive will be doubles again. Add in airline weight restrictions and it makes having a second BP for single tanks attractive rather than resurrecting my TransPac. From this discussion that single BP should be aluminum.

There's no right or wrong and everyone has different preferences and priorities. I use a Dive Rite Aluminum plate exclusively at the moment. I travel for diving so the weight is an issue. If diving locally I can use a weighted STA for a quick 6lbs, easy peesy. I also use XS Scuba Pockets for traveling, throw a couple pounds from the dive op in each, easy peesy.

If I was diving a drysuit and aluminum tanks, would definitely go to Steel for the added weight. But for travel and tropical diving, aluminum works well, it's easy to add weight to get trim where you want it, and with airline restrictions on weight, every ounce helps. No doubt steel would be ideal for some situations but Aluminum's quite versatile.

There's no right or wrong and everyone has different preferences and priorities.

Yep.

I travel for diving so the weight is an issue...

If I was diving a drysuit and aluminum tanks, would definitely go to Steel...

No doubt steel would be ideal for some situations...

Aluminum's quite versatile.

Right tools for the job.

I sometimes dive a single LP steel with no wetsuit. I am definitely overweighted with an aluminum plate and zero lead (and I am not skinny). Even if I were to dive only aluminum 80's, I doubt I would want a steel plate for warm water.

I sometimes dive a single LP steel with no wetsuit. I am definitely overweighted with an aluminum plate and zero lead (and I am not skinny). Even if I were to dive only aluminum 80's, I doubt I would want a steel plate for warm water.

The contrast between you and I is a good example of why, as has been pointed out in this and other threads, kit selection is very much a personal matter.

When I dive using a wet suit, dual AL80s, and a steel BP I still have to add weight. Using an aluminium plate only adds to the amount of weight I'd have to add. But, it saves transportation weight to be used for other things.

It is all a trade off to get what works best for the individual. Best info for making that decision is from discussions such as this.

Glen if you start cave diving that means you'll be doing a lot of swimming and how far you penetrate the cave go is based on how much air you use. I don't know if you will be, but lets just say you're overweighted with the steal doubles and steal plate. You've got to put more air in your wing to stay afloat, so now its bigger in the water and creating more drag. Now you're working harder and using more air. No big deal, but the longer the dive (as you progress) the more this plays a role in your dive. Add a trilam drysuit and you've got even more drag and you'll soon be cursing that darn flow at Jackson Blue because you want to see more cave but your air consumption isn't allowing it.

That may be too insignificant for you and that's fine, but that is why I've got an aluminum plate.

Makes sense to me. I think from what I have discovered that the alum. will be great to save for my doubles...which I know I will eventually do. While diving my single tank, especially in saltwater or non-cave gear, the Steel plate will make me more balanced. In the mean time I have a channel weight ordered to make the alum plate useable immediately, in almost all of my current dive configurations. Everyones suggestions have been helpful.

Glen if you start cave diving that means you'll be doing a lot of swimming and how far you penetrate the cave go is based on how much air you use. I don't know if you will be, but lets just say you're overweighted with the steal doubles and steal plate. You've got to put more air in your wing to stay afloat, so now its bigger in the water and creating more drag. Now you're working harder and using more air. No big deal, but the longer the dive (as you progress) the more this plays a role in your dive. Add a trilam drysuit and you've got even more drag and you'll soon be cursing that darn flow at Jackson Blue because you want to see more cave but your air consumption isn't allowing it.

That may be too insignificant for you and that's fine, but that is why I've got an aluminum plate.

I don't think anything is wrong with a channel weight, or any one of the other solutions I mentioned. I don't know that I'd characterize buying a second plate as a "ton of money", but certainly more than buying a channel weight.

Okay, maybe not a ton of money, but I've never seen a steel plate for less than $120, while most AL plates cost half that. And with the recent mandatory MAP increases, the steel plates are even more now. And since Glen is just embarking on his journey into the underworld, he needs all the extra money he can get/save so he can continue to buy new gear. :D

I've found significant value in having more than one plate. Particularly when setting one up for doubles (or diving dry) and the other for singles (or diving wet).

I've done both in the same day. It's as big a deal as changing to a 2nd set of doubles.

As I said, I respect your opinion, I just have a different idea on this one. Do you really think Glenfwb is going to dive 108s exclusively? Especially wet, off a boat? Maybe so, I don't know.

That's cool. It's good to be different. :D I don't know what Glen will be diving. 108s, 130s, 95s. It doesn't matter. But 2 steel tanks will offset that AL plate quite a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom