Dive shop lost my business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am far more afraid of the ScubaBoard Mafia than I am of the Scuba Police Force.
More like the Scubaboard Dog pack piling on. Thread suddenly got quiet when the owner filled in just a couple of the holes in the swiss cheese story.

I dunno. I'm kind of curious why she bought gear that she admits was in such bad condition and so old...

I am the dive shop owner:

The original post neglects to mention that I bought all of the equipment from the girls at a fair price that was agreed upon by both parties involved.

There are liability issues here. I am a SCUBA business and as such I need to ensure that I put my customers’ well being at the top of my priority list. I would rather not make the sale than have to explain to the family why I allowed my customer to leave my store with unsafe equipment.

This would be their fault not yours.... but I wonder what that "fair" price was. They wouldn't have had a clue to judge the offer. I suspect there might still have been some legal robbery.

As far as the liability issues... I'm afraid I don't see that one. A customer walks into your shop with "unsafe" gear and walks out with that gear. You didn't sell it to them. You didn't service it. It's not your liability. It's your not your responsibility to save stupid people from themselves.

I suspect the truth is somewhere between these two perspectives. I know my LDS wouldn't buy anything unless it could be turned into a profit. Could you blame them?

This would be their fault not yours.... but I wonder what that "fair" price was. They wouldn't have had a clue to judge the offer. I suspect there might still have been some legal robbery.

As far as the liability issues... I'm afraid I don't see that one. A customer walks into your shop with "unsafe" gear and walks out with that gear. You didn't sell it to them. You didn't service it. It's not your liability. It's your not your responsibility to save stupid people from themselves.

I suspect the truth is somewhere between these two perspectives. I know my LDS wouldn't buy anything unless it could be turned into a profit. Could you blame them?

What about this one
1 the regs could have been intended for the shop owner personally to clean up and rebuild and play with. Many times this is done even at a loss just for the fun of having old stuff/
2. The tanks were probably looked at closely with out opening them and I bet the price was just a bit above scrape so that if they failed hydro the $ loss would be minor. This is happens all the time in the resale market
3 the OP had no idea what they were looking at and they actually could have told the seller "hey I will beat what ever price the shop is giving you for them " but i doubt that happened.

It sounds to me that a person with gear that was no use to them and would be headed to the trash pile walked out with some cash and apparently had to be happy with the amount because they did not have to sell the stuff.

I have no idea who the shop or the OP are but I personally think that the shop did nothing wrong, and I think that the OP may have misunderstood the conversation slightly and then it was twisted a bit more when it was posted.

Again there is always two sides to a story and I am glad both sides came on to voice their view of the situation

I think I may have too be a bit more clear on part of my post. When she hand the regs in her hand and said she needed to destroy them, I took that to mean the regs only and not the tanks. At that point I left a little razzled. I figured they would make some kind of offer but by this point they were apparently not worth much. Personally I have not had any bad experiences with this dive shop and they have been good to me, but this really bothered me. Also I was not interested in the tanks just the regs.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Calling people a name is not allowed on ScubaBoard and certainly not in one of the Green Zones like Basic Scuba.

The post with the name calling and all posts referencing it have been deleted.

In the future, don't call people names and please report those posts rather than commenting on them.

Last edited:
I always miss the good parts.

Back
Top Bottom