Dive Site Security Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only key I would worry about getting wet is the kind with the remote made into the key head. Every key that I have had with a "chip" in it has gone diving with me & never failed to work. I have had most of them down over 200 feet. They all still worked fine.

Buy a cheap underwater flashlight. Remove the batteries. Insert key into battery compartment with a small weight to make it negative. Screw back together again. Clip to your BC. Voila. Better than any wallet, bag, etc etc.

My buddies know where I hide my key in case of an emergency. This is not always a good idea. On a very hot August day I had finished a long dive and walked up the hill at Marineland in a drysuit and a steel 120. I couldn't wait to get to my truck and get out of my gear. When I got to the parking lot I saw that my truck was now behind the fence, covered in caution tape, tumbleweeds and twigs sticking out of the gas tank and exhaust pipe. Evil Jeff strikes again. :(
P10100068.jpg

P10100027.jpg

P101000812.jpg

P10100106.jpg

Or...if you have a trailer hitch...

Ian

I also have the hitch safe and it works great. Both my buddy and I have the combo, so if I never make it back, at least he can quickly leave the scene :11:

The safe can even be opened with dry gloves on. My Prius has a Smart key, and leaving it in the car could get the car stolen. Locking it in the safe definitely helps protects it.

Just getting ready to change vehicles so this is a good topic for me.

Until this thread I assumed that all those anti-theft keys had the electronics potted inside the case. Thus, they would be waterproof, shockproof and in general just about impervious to just about any damage.

Is that not true?

When my parents got a new Toyota last year, I specifically asked the dealer about this, and was told that cutting an all metal key at the local hardware store to open the doors is not a problem. Just don't ever put it in the ignition, or the engine immobilizer will kick in and you'll need a tow back to the dealer, and depending on car manufacturer, possibly some new engine hardware.

My buddies know where I hide my key in case of an emergency. This is not always a good idea. On a very hot August day I had finished a long dive and walked up the hill at Marineland in a drysuit and a steel 120. I couldn't wait to get to my truck and get out of my gear. When I got to the parking lot I saw that my truck was now behind the fence, covered in caution tape, tumbleweeds and twigs sticking out of the gas tank and exhaust pipe. Evil Jeff strikes again. :(
P10100068.jpg

P10100027.jpg

P101000812.jpg

P10100106.jpg

Ah, back when you could drive your truck right to the gate, I miss those days!

I take my chipped key in the dry suit with me. I've had a couple of floods, but nothing has been bad enough to disable the key, and even if it did, the metal part would still unlock the door and start the car.

No doubt the key will open the door, but would check into it actually starting the rig. If it is just a chip it should not make a difference. I guess I'm lucky, the chip I have is seperate from the keys.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom